Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, with the purchase of the 1025 with a blower, and a Craftsman rider with a blower, this one was just sitting in the barn up north. Figured I might as well sell it. So, put it on Craigslist. Had several low ball offers I rejected. Kept trying though. With a couple big snows at home, figured it would sell. Had one guy offer me $200, but never showed up.

Then I got this last offer at $300. Guy showed up on time with cash. English was not his first language, and didn't understand things I was trying to tell him like he needed to raise the skid shoes if he was going to be using this on a sidewalk or blacktop. I had them set high for the gravel driveway. He just wasn't getting it. I fired it up and showed it blow a little snow off the grass. He seamed happy, gave me the money and I helped him load it up. I thought the tailgate on his pickup was going to fall off. I really don't know what was keeping it on. His bed was full of snow and bags of aluminum cans. :unknown:

So, I was happy to sell it, and even started to look at what I could spend the cash on. (For Johnny of course). :greentractorride:

Then I get the text while I'm out plowing snow. "Snowblower not working".

Ok..., I ask if he is holding handles down for auger drive? Are the shear pins still in shaft? Are the cables still attached to handles?-have had them spin off. He just replies "I return snowblower, I'm Sorry"

Now the quandary, do I have him bring it back so I can check to see what he may be doing wrong, or broke in transit?

Or do you walk away and say I'm not a big box store with a return policy.

What is even worse, this has happened before with me selling something on Craigslist. Other time it was a snowmobile. He didn't have it 1 hour and called me. It was running, but wouldn't move. He was close, so I ran over there. As soon as I grabbed the reverse handle, it had too much play in it. I knew right away the chain came off inside the drive. But in that case, I had been in there changing bearings, so I knew it was my fault. I returned his money and took sled back. Then fixed the bearing I put on backwards. :banghead:

Noma Blower Rotated.jpeg

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
If he didn't damage it in the short time he had it, Id just give him the money back and be done with him. Otherwise, you'll be married to this guy and his lofty expectations. As it seems by your story he knows where you live, do you want to come home 2 months from now with him sitting there complaining that something broke / wore out? You sold him a not-new snow blower at a not-new price. Let him spend double and bring his complaints to someone else.

·
Premium Member
10,692 Posts
If he didn't damage it in the short time he had it, Id just give him the money back and be done with him. Otherwise, you'll be married to this guy and his lofty expectations. As it seems by your story he knows where you live, do you want to come home 2 months from now with him sitting there complaining that something broke / wore out? You sold him a not-new snow blower at a not-new price. Let him spend double and bring his complaints to someone else.
^^^ What he said.

You'll find another buyer in short order.

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
Married to him, sounds appropriate...
Definitely not the equipment operator type and he may just straight be having financial regret and it is still fine.
Better get it back from him before he runs his dog over or looses a hand or worse.:banghead:

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Yikes. If it was me I’d give his money back and check the snowblower over AFTER he left. Most likely it’s fine.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,916 Posts
Snow Blower, what snow blower? That was a roto tiller, no wonder it won't blow snow......

Cavet' EMPTOR baby.................

freaking Craigs List, read under rocks everywhere by those who expect everything for nothing..................

·
Super Moderator
4,841 Posts
I hate selling stuff on Craigslist just foe this sort of thing.

About 10 years ago I swapped out the OEM radio/CD player in my F250 for a nice Alpine unit. I listed the OEM unit on Craigslist and some guy from an hour away offers me $30 for it. Fine. Come and get it!

So he shows up 2 hours later hands me teh $30 and off he goes. Then not but 30 minutes later he calls me up and says the CD player portion doesn't work. Wants his money back. Whatever. Not sure how he managed to get home n hour away and swap it out to test it already but...

So less than 10 minutes later he's back at my door with the radio in his hand looking for his $30. I put my hand out and he hands me the radio. I flip it over and it isn't the one I sold him. Little did he know but I had engraved my name into the bottom of the unit! So I ask him where the unit is that I sold him. His jaw drops and then he starts sputtering about hos this is it. So I grab a flashlight and tell him ti take me to his truck. We pull the unit out of his dash, I flip it over and show him my name engraved in the bottom of it. His plan was to keep mine unit and "return" his busted unit to get his money back.

I threw the other unit into the bed of his truck and told him he had 30 seconds to get out of my driveway before I called the cops and had him arrested. He quit arguing at that point and took off.

Now the only time I list things on there is if I'm listing them in the free section.

·
Premium Member
7,428 Posts
Salvageyards will mark what they sell, if it comes back they know it's what they sold. I am sure some try to return their junk for a refund.

·
Super Moderator
4,841 Posts
Smart man, this Jim guy. :mocking:
It's an old habit I picked up while in the military. Stuff got stolen from the barracks all the time. They always told everyone to engrave a unique identifier into everything of value that you owned so it could be identified if stolen. Some habits die hard. :laugh:

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Everything I list and sell on Craigslist is stated as "In-person, cash only transaction". I meet the buyer somewhere safe, NEVER let them come to my house (unless it's for a very large, difficult to transport item). If warranted, I demonstrate that everything is in the working order that I state in the listing. When the cash is in my hand, and the item is in their vehicle, the transaction is over. Period.

If they want a refund, tell them to look on the back of their receipt for the return policy.

·
Premium Member
609 Posts
I would not return his calls or text messages. It was working when sold to him, he saw it working, he paid for it, deal complete. Bye. Not your problem. Do not make yourself his tech support, and do not just take it back either.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
I would not return his calls or text messages. It was working when sold to him, he saw it working, he paid for it, deal complete. Bye. Not your problem. Do not make yourself his tech support, and do not just take it back either.
Yep. If I didn't intentionally sell you junk, you own it. How is anyone to know what happened to it after it left.
I have a saying for that "Remember this number and don't call here again."

Just to be clear, if I'm selling you junk I told you.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Yep. If I didn't intentionally sell you junk, you own it. How is anyone to know what happened to it after it left.
I have a saying for that "Remember this number and don't call here again."

Just to be clear, if I'm selling you junk I told you.
I try to be very clear in the listing for things I'm selling as to what works and what does not.

HOWEVER...

As the saying goes - "Buyer beware". The responsibility is on the buyer, and not the seller. And once anything leaves my sight, we're done. If you want service, a return policy, warranty, etc. - buy it from someone that offers those things. Tell them politely on the first contact that the item was sold "As is" and it was their responsibility to ensure that it met their needs. You expect no further contact from the regarding the matter.

If they continue to call, report it to the police as harassment.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts