Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Had to make a trip for repairs yesterday, for me,that is! My right shoulder has been giving me problems for some time & since surgery was in order, I had put it off all last summer. hoped to get it done last month, but it didn't work out until now. Rotator cuff was torn over time, might not have helped it by carrying two 150# wheel weights or 35 gallon barrels of oil around 45 years ago or dragging fire hose around for 29 years. Anyway, the damage was done! :(

After 2+ hour surgery & overnight stay, I'm home with a "shoulder stabilizer" sling for the next several weeks, physical therapy after 3-4 weeks. Being right handed, working as a "southpaw" makes things difficult!

We bought a new recliner last week, so I took the old one to the shop so I can spend time out there watching videos to get out of the house with the dogs! :)

Had planned to restore the little 100 this winter, but it can wait. have a neighbor who agreed to clear the drive if it snows more. Plenty of wood split & dried for the shop stove, so things are pretty well covered except for the left-handed part! :banghead: ~~ Lowell

ps - for those who visit other sites that I do, please excuse the copy & paste, as I don't type "lefty" any better than I do anything else that way!

·
Premium Member
14,710 Posts
Glad your doing better, and yea you need out of the house ,,take it easy and don't rush trying to use it sooner than what the doctor says.
SIL is suppose to have his done within the next few weeks.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,396 Posts
Good luck with your recovery.

·
Registered
11,882 Posts
Lowell:

Hope the rehab on the shoulder goes well. By the way, when you regain use of your right arm, you will have a bigger appreciation for those of us who were born left-handed.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Good to know you're getting things taken care of. Hope it heals fast and well.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Get well and don't rush it.

·
Administrator
20,668 Posts
Look at the bright side Lowell, you can spend more time on the forum!:read

Hope you make a full and speedy recovery.:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Glad to hear all went well, feel better soon

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
I'm glad things went well, and that you are now home! Do the physical therapy, and give your body time to heal! That will give the best possible results, I'm sure.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Come on now......being a southpaw isn't that bad. I've been that way for 43 years!:laugh: Take it easy.....rest....and get well soon Lowell! Before you know it........you'll be tinkering with the 100.:thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the comments guys!

Stitches came out today, it all looks good! I had an appointment to see the surgeon yesterday 50 miles from home. With the bad weather predicted, I had checked with our county health dept. earlier in the week & they could remove the sutures with Dr. orders. Due to bad roads, I called the Hospital yesterday morning & emailed them a couple pictures of the shoulder. They sent the orders to the health dept., so out they came this morning! Started the "pendulum" movements today, see the surgeon in two weeks. ~~ Lowell

·
Premium Member
14,710 Posts
Good to hear , don't rush and take it easy.

·
8,558 Posts
Once the stitches come out, healing progresses quickly, I think. Glad that you are on the mend!

·
Super Moderator
2,706 Posts
Lowell,
I had rotator cuff surgery in May 2008. My upper right arm had been bothering me for months, to the point I had to pick my right arm up with my left arm just to use the mouse on the computer. But, I just grin and bear it, as they used to say. Then late April 2008, I was moving a Wheel Horse 48 inch deck in my shed by rolling it on it's gauge wheels and I stumbled over a tire on my JD X320 and the deck started to head towards that plastic hood. I yanked it away and the weight of the deck made it fall away from the X320, yanking my right arm in the process. Man that hurt.

I was going to pull off the snow blade off my Wheel Horse C-141 and put this deck underneath it, so I finished the job with just my left arm. My right shoulder hurt so bad that I couldn't use my right arm. After I was done, I went into the house and my wife saw how much the right arm was drooping and she could tell I was in pain. But I refused to go to the ER and said it will be fine in the morning. That night, sleep was impossible and as soon as we got up the next morning, she made me go to the ER. Diagnosis, torn rotator cuff.

Went to see the surgeon who said it was torn in 4 places. Did the surgery, went to physical therapy, and after about 6 to 8 weeks, the arm was good as new.

PT will not be fun, depending on how bad the tear was and how much repairs needed to be done. Don't rush it and do your PT, listen to your surgeon, and take it easy for a while, even after you heal.

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Last trip to see the surgeon Yesterday, shoulder is doing well. Start four weeks, twice/week physical therapy tomorrow, will be done here in Trenton, two miles from home. I've been through it before, so I have a good idea of what to expect.

Actually got the 790 out today & moved part of the snow pile on the drive so I could bring the 10' trailer up from out back while the ground is frozen. May want to use it Monday to take the Gator to the farm. Haven't been out there or even started the 790 in over six weeks. Felt good to just do something for a change! ~~ Lowell

·
8,558 Posts
I'm glad to hear that all is going well! Keep following instructions, and you should be back to full swing by Spring, or early summer! Thanks for the update!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts