Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
11,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello--my youngest boy weld's for a living-he just loves it. me-eh!:laugh:

he picked up this job sometime late last fall. evenlo-this trailer wasn't gonna fit into his GARAGE, length wise. i knew nothing about it, till i saw it at his place one weekend. i said where u fine this junker at. aw-well u see i'm rebuilding it. i said -:dunno:where outside-no dad-i thought maybe since u don't go outside no more in the winter, u know-cough-we could back it in ur shop:banghead: how the heck do ya tell ur kid no-when he's right i'm not going out in the cold no more if i don't really have to.

so he started working on it-tore the old marine plywood off one weekend-took note of what materials was needed.

next week-aw-wait-when it came one axle was missing-yelp-gone. had to tear old one out, take to trailer shop to make sure to get same kind.

lot's grinding welding-all kind of good stuff-waited almost 7 weeks for the axle to come in. had to rewire entire trailer.

today the floor was reinstalled-2/10's-2-2/12's-outside edge-and 2-2/6's all treated-and left with a 8 penny nail crack screwed down with 3 inch some crazy word of a screw-his buddy and him used this kind when he worked at the trucking company rebuilding trailers.
so here's a couple of bad:hide:pics i remembered to snap at the last moment. 20170423_163501_Burst01.jpg 20170423_163504.jpg

now for u snowmobiler's out their-i 'm sure u have seen such a trailer-me nope. every weld on the frame rails was badly cracked with age. it has tighten up very good, but dang, the amount of spools of wire to get it to this point-i-yi-yi.:banghead:. the owner is going to haul lightweight panels on this thing. but at 30 ft-i got to thinking-if i had one like it-heck i could load jsut about every attachment i got-plus my tractor-and have room to eat my lunch too.
it's weighted gross is 10,000lbs. have no idea what it's light weight is now. supposedly it came from factory with 3/4 inch marine plywood. checked on that price--wasn't more than a couple of bucks going either way.

p.s.-it would of been done a month ago i'm sure of that. but the boy's company made him work straight thru for one month, no days off in that time period, to roll out one of them great big oil-fracking tanks. laying on their side-their over 14 ft high. too darn high for me. thats for sure.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Those axles are too far apart. I have never seen a trailer with the axles that far apart.

Dave

·
Registered
11,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Those axles are too far apart. I have never seen a trailer with the axles that far apart.

Dave
:dunno: heck-i never saw a 3 axle trailer like this before in my life. big trailers, lowboys yeah-but not these.

nope the holes for the axle mounts are where Triton put them at. never been welded over, and redrilled-i have been watching this deal the whole way thru.

all the info we got was it was built for snowmobiling - what yr-i dk:dunno:for sure. the fella told my boy, he was told it would hold eight sleds-:dunno: just thought i'dl post some pics-ok. i wanta see what Superglidersport has to say about this thing-or RDPYS up in Maine.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
I also do not know that I have ever seen a straight trailer (bumper pull) with 3 axles. Last year, I ran across a guy at a swap meet with a 30ft straight trailer, but it had 2 axles. That is the only 30ft straight trailer that I have actually seen prior to the one you posted. Needless to say, at least in my opinion, this trailer is a little different than the run of the mill trailer.

Dave

·
Registered
11,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I also do not know that I have ever seen a straight trailer (bumper pull) with 3 axles. Last year, I ran across a guy at a swap meet with a 30ft straight trailer, but it had 2 axles. That is the only 30ft straight trailer that I have actually seen prior to the one you posted. Needless to say, at least in my opinion, this trailer is a little different than the run of the mill trailer.

Dave
can u believe the hitch's size ball was only a 2 inch-boy's changing that out to a 2 and 5/16's

sitting out their watching them-i kinda really wanted to take this off the owner's hand's.
1) it's a high deck
2)i wanted to add a set of air bags to the rear axle, so u could dump the air on turn's. heck it scuffed the front, and rear axle just turning in my driveway.

the owner bought this at a auction-somewhere-supposedly for a $1,000. he's gonna have another $3,000 in it till it's done. way to cheap of a job, i made my boy get enough angle iron(aluminum) to box the wheel wells out-heck-someone changed the tire size out, so they just hacksawed the cross members off above the tires., so the bigger size won't hit the crossmembers their.:banghead:

the owner wasn't to happy about that-i told him-hey-u go down the road-have a wreck-someone gets killed-where do u think the last ball is gonna land. ur paying the boy for the change order-or whatever u call it. what's right is right. now that sidewall is really strong down the whole side. before it looked like giz when he was young, drunk, and trying to fine his way back to his ship.:lol:

·
Super Moderator
7,888 Posts
:dunno: heck-i never saw a 3 axle trailer like this before in my life. big trailers, lowboys yeah-but not these.

nope the holes for the axle mounts are where Triton put them at. never been welded over, and redrilled-i have been watching this deal the whole way thru.

all the info we got was it was built for snowmobiling - what yr-i dk:dunno:for sure. the fella told my boy, he was told it would hold eight sleds-:dunno: just thought i'dl post some pics-ok. i wanta see what Superglidersport has to say about this thing-or RDPYS up in Maine.
Big Jim,

I have seen some long RV flatbeds over the years. That axle spread looks about right for a long wheelbase trailer. Lightly loaded and generally being pulled by a light SUV. The long axle spread helps to keep it going straight down the road and reduces sway. They're generally lightly loaded so some tire scrub when turning or backing is minimal.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Jim,

Were there three axles when he got it? It might be worth pulling the model number off of the tongue and looking it up because I would expect that trailer was meant to have TWO axles but you would be able to choose where they were mounted (based on how you loaded it).

·
Registered
498 Posts
I've seen several three axle trailers like that hauling snowmobiles out here.
Yep used to be common here in MN when we still had snow enough for sleds.:lolol:

And I don't mean a few months ago... All my sledding friends have given up... too expensive of toys to have sit so long when we have so many mild winters

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,731 Posts
I think those trailers are a custom order trailer from Triton. I would be truly impressed if that trailer is rated for 10,000 lbs.

I had a 20ft open Triton. IMO, a good trailer.

Trailer_1.jpg _ Trailer_2.jpg

·
Registered
498 Posts
can u believe the hitch's size ball was only a 2 inch-boy's changing that out to a 2 and 5/16's
If it was the right ball 2 inches is more than enough.

Curt, Reese, and others makes 2 inch balls from 3500 to 12000 lbs. in strength.

12K ones are forged and of higher quality materials with large shanks and large flanges.

Changing makes sense though since most people won't have the strengthened balls.

·
Registered
11,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Jim,

Were there three axles when he got it? It might be worth pulling the model number off of the tongue and looking it up because I would expect that trailer was meant to have TWO axles but you would be able to choose where they were mounted (based on how you loaded it).
meburdick--nope-only 2 axle when it came to my place. the boy tore the one axle out, and hauled to a local trailer sales place he uses for parts. they then ordered the same axle for it.

didn't look any infor up about-never thought of that. thanks.

·
Registered
11,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If it was the right ball 2 inches is more than enough.

Curt, Reese, and others makes 2 inch balls from 3500 to 12000 lbs. in strength.

12K ones are forged and of higher quality materials with large shanks and large flanges.

Changing makes sense though since most people won't have the strengthened balls.

well-didn't think about the different weight of that size--but the owner wanted 2 and 5/16 cause that's what all his other trailers are.

same as us-for having all our trailers at 2 and 5/16 balls:lolol: oh-my, is these fellas gonna run with this wording-jeez-what did i do-:eek:hmy:

·
Registered
11,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think those trailers are a custom order trailer from Triton. I would be truly impressed if that trailer is rated for 10,000 lbs.

I had a 20ft open Triton. IMO, a good trailer.

View attachment 353602 _ View attachment 353610
gizmo2-did ur trailer have that kind of suspension that has no leaf springs in it. and did it have only 14 inch tires on it too?

and i think that fella who owns it-probably told the boy wrong about the weight of it's ability is wrong-IMO. heck it only had 14 inch rubber to begin with, and it has that funny suspension, like a horse trailer has-at least the ones i have seen.

·
Registered
11,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm sure they can be purchased with 3 axles.
Here's one for sale in Ontario.

The 3 axle spread is to transfer the load throughout the trailer length.

flyweight-whats the price on that trailer??

·
Registered
11,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
here's a pic of this frontend of trailer-it comes to a V- at the front . never seen one before like that. and it also has such a short tongue too. 20170423_163510.jpg i know u can't see to good here. i can't figure why -they TRITON-would of had the front made to a V. i guess for strength-maybe:dunno:

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
here's a pic of this frontend of trailer-it comes to a V- at the front . never seen one before like that. and it also has such a short tongue too. View attachment 353658 i know u can't see to good here. i can't figure why -they TRITON-would of had the front made to a V. i guess for strength-maybe:dunno:
The front of the deck is in a triangle shape because there are supposed to be fold-down ramps attached on each side to drive your ATV or sled off. They're missing. :)

·
Registered
11,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The front of the deck is in a triangle shape because there are supposed to be fold-down ramps attached on each side to drive your ATV or sled off. They're missing. :)
that makes sense--the rear area underneath had a place to store the ramps their. owner wanted all of that taken off for what he whats to do with it-he does't need no ramps. none(ramps) was on it when it came to my place.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,731 Posts
gizmo2-did ur trailer have that kind of suspension that has no leaf springs in it. and did it have only 14 inch tires on it too?

and i think that fella who owns it-probably told the boy wrong about the weight of it's ability is wrong-IMO. heck it only had 14 inch rubber to begin with, and it has that funny suspension, like a horse trailer has-at least the ones i have seen.
Ours had Torsion axles no springs.
Tires were considerably smaller than 14"

Ours had the V-nose also. Drive on, Drive off.
Our ramp was stored in the rear of the trailer under the deck. The ramp could be attached in four different location, 2 front locations (sides of V-nose) and 2 locations in the read for loading both sides of the trailer.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts