Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To make a long story really short, my 2005 x495 that I purchased used a few months ago ended up needing a new transmission as the differential side just literally came apart. I was able to find a new casing with all of the internals on eBay that was a pull from a x748. Both are K92's but my x495 is a 2WD version and the one I bought came from a 4WD model. The guy sent me the axle from it for the differential side as the spindle size and location were a bit different. The other side fit like a glove from my old transmission and it was in excellent shape.

Today I was able to finally get the transmission replaced and the tractor back together but I've got an interesting issue. After I put a new hydraulic filter and put in the required amount of oil, I fired the engine up and let it idle for a couple of minutes. I then attempted to go in forward and reverse but there was a tremendous amount of hesitation for both directions. It's almost as if the brake is being applied but I can freely move the wheels with the brake disengaged and the free wheel lever engaged.

After a few more attempts at linkage adjustments and some stops and starts the engine now cuts off immediately on firing. Sometimes it shuts off without a noise, but sometimes it sounds as if something is binding up right before it shuts off.

Of note, here are the items that may or may not be pertinent:

The charge pump shaft key from my old K92 was a woodruff key, the new K92 uses a rectangular 1/8 x 3/16 key that is rounded on the ends. I've had a horrible time finding one of these so I took a 1/8 woodruff key and cut it down to size so that it is more of a rectangular shape and it fits in the shaft. Maybe this wasn't the best idea. Perhaps the key has sheared, but wouldn't the engine still run if that were the case?

I had replaced the pressure relief valve with the one recommended for use with a FEL, but since I transferred the charge pump from my 2WD version to the new 4WD version, the pressure relief valve is not quite right for the K92 it is now on, but I don't think this is a problem. I'm not sure what the differences are between them, but I'm not running 4WD here and I would think the difference in the relief valve is for the mechanics of the front wheels.

Maybe I got something too tight? Anything with the drive shaft that could be causing it?

Thanks for any assistance with this!

Missing my tractor!

·
Registered
13,582 Posts
I’ll apologize for not reading everything, but anx748 k92 is not compatible in any way, and I’m not aware of anyone on a forum successfully making it work.

The rear gears you need are expensive, but I think most differential blowouts are repairable. They generally only happen with loaders where the owner didn’t install the double action relief valve.

Reactions: raco232

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’ll apologize for not reading everything, but anx748 k92 is not compatible in any way, and I’m not aware of anyone on a forum successfully making it work.

The rear gears you need are expensive, but I think most differential blowouts are repairable. They generally only happen with loaders where the owner didn’t install the double action relief valve.
What about the 4WD won't work? Everything except for the charge pump and right axle and housing were replaced as one inclusive unit. Expensive gears or not, those were all included in the K92 I put in.

·
Registered
13,582 Posts
What about the 4WD won't work? Everything except for the charge pump and right axle and housing were replaced as one inclusive unit. Expensive gears or not, those were all included in the K92 I put in.
If you converted to 4wd it will work,but with 2wd there’s just a bunch of questions on adapting it, and managing the extra flow that I haven’t seen anyone tackle. A 50 or 100 hour update will be interesting to me. I’ve been here and other forums for a while. When talented members don’t do something there’s usually a reason.

Reactions: raco232

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I've made progress this morning. The stalling issues on start were solved by adjusting the brake.

The movement noise and issues were caused by a stuck pressure relief valve.

Now the issue that remains is the reverse and forward are very slow, but not erratic. Any idea as to what would cause this? Not seeing anything obvious with the linkages for the pedals.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Further troubleshooting today and I've narrowed it down to the following:

All hydraulics work as long as I barely press the forward or reverse pedals (or don't press then at all), but if I press down normally to do anything more than a snail's pace, all hydraulics cease to work. Tractor won't move, power steering is gone, attachments won't work. I feel like I'm closer to a solution.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay, I feel like a dunce. This issue has been resolved. Apparently I just totally overlooked transferring the thrust bearing and thick thrust plate over to the new transmission. After doing that all works as intended except for some adjustments to the brakes and pedals again.

My only issue now is that stopping is a little aggressive and the pedals are a bit tight.

·
Premium Member
1025r with Mauser cab.
14,665 Posts
Okay, I feel like a dunce. This issue has been resolved. Apparently I just totally overlooked transferring the thrust bearing and thick thrust plate over to the new transmission. After doing that all works as intended except for some adjustments to the brakes and pedals again.

My only issue now is that stopping is a little aggressive and the pedals are a bit tight.
The stopping being aggressive I assume means when you lift off the directional pedals, correct? That can be adapted in the driving style, I would think.....Also, that is adjustable in the swash plate adjustment, as outlined in the John Deere TSM, which I would suggest you consider as this will also affect the system pressure and even operating temps if not adjusted properly.

The pedals being tight could be as simple as the geometry of the linkage but they appear to have more similarities or shared parts then distinctly different ones. I did see the shock absorber of the pedal controls on both the x495 and the x748 are the same, John Deere part number MIU804693.

Just curious, how many hours were on your machine at the failure point and how many hours did the rear end assembly have on it you purchased?

I see there is a difference in the thrust bearing depending upon the serial number of the x748 machines and ironically, they use the same thrust bearing as the x495 on x748 machines higher than serial number 40,001, so apparently your purchased rear end assembly was for a machine with a serial number lower than the cut off. The thrust washer is the same on either machine...........

Curious, How did you determine the differnce on the thrust washer bearing?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.