Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My stihl is getting some work done to it and I don't have it back yet. I'm borrowing this Troy bilt saw with a 20" bar. The chain is stretched and the bar has no more adjustment. I can't seem to find and measurements on the chain to get a replacement. It's an Oregon bar. Anyone know anything about these saws? I have to get some wood cut in the next two days.

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
The stampings on the bar may give you chain information, at least pitch and width. As for the number of drive links, you can count them on the chain you have now (assuming it was the correct chain to begin with). If you bring your chainsaw and chain to a service place, they can usually figure out the chain you need.

Though maybe not a great thing to do, if your chain has some life left, but is only stretched, you can ask a service place to take out a drive link to shorten it. That can wear other parts like the drive sprocket, but it will get you cutting in a pinch.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
15,064 Posts
Take the chain off the saw , measure the chain for length, take it with you compare the size new one should be 1/2" < > or so shorter than the one you took off the saw, buy the new one , come home install and start cutting wood without hitting the ground to dull the blade. :dunno:

:munch:

Reactions: Tomfive

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Was more concerned about the drive teeth. Found one but now that saw won't stay running. Was told it had an issue with that. My saw is still at the shop because the guys father just passed away. I won't be bugging him obviously. May use this as a good excuse to buy a new stihl so I have two. Looking at either an MS261 or possibly MS362. Both have a touch more gumption than my 271 but neither are heavier. Depends on what I decide I may need.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Was more concerned about the drive teeth. Found one but now that saw won't stay running. Was told it had an issue with that. My saw is still at the shop because the guys father just passed away. I won't be bugging him obviously. May use this as a good excuse to buy a new stihl so I have two. Looking at either an MS261 or possibly MS362. Both have a touch more gumption than my 271 but neither are heavier. Depends on what I decide I may need.
I've got the predecessor, a 361. It's a beast for the size and weight. The 362 has M-Tronic, which I understand really allows the saw to perform.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gotcha. I'd really like to get the bigger one just because there are situations where it would have been good to have a little more power and I don't want to buy a new saw just to have it not be what I want. I can run my 271 all day long and the 362 is the same weight. I'm not sure how their power measurements correlate to how it actually behaves. I know the 261 has .4 more than the 271 and the 362 has .9.

·
Premium Member
2,795 Posts
Truckfarmer buy a new saw. You can never go wrong having another saw. I like the Sthil I have an old farmboss I believe it's the 029 model I have had since 93 and it still runs like the devil. I have a smaller one also I use for trimming Good luck.

Reactions: buckteeth445
1 - 8 of 8 Posts