Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 325 Posts

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2006 Tundra 4x4, TRD with 89000 miles on it. The timing belt has just been replaced. Muffler has recently been replaced also.
Picture taken in March, 2014

Toyota Truck_1.jpg

Toyota has elected to replace the frame in the truck at no cost to me. Only the costs associated with the frame replacement are being paid for by Toyota. In as much as everything is off the frame anything I want replace before it goes back on will be paid for by me, no labor will be charged (so they say).

I’ve looked under the truck, my list so far is…
Replace Shocks, really look bad but still seem fine
Replace Front Off Road belly pan, rusted out pretty bad

Notes:
Brake lines look fine
The rear axle weld on cover looks really bad, major concern here

Questions:
Do I have the work done and keep the truck or sell/trade it?
What else should I look to replace?
How far do I go with replacement parts and cost to me? Thinking if a control arm, ball joints…etc should be replaced while it’s off?

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
A frame replacement means COMPLETELY rebuilding your entire vehicle. I'm surprised they didn't just buy it back.

Being a Ford guy.....I'm clearly biased, but having to totally rebuild the entire truck in only 8 years service and <100K miles is really bad.

I wouldn't put a penny more than necessary into it and would get rid of it. (BTW....That new aluminum F-150 coming out is REALLY nice.)

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A frame replacement means COMPLETELY rebuilding your entire vehicle. I'm surprised they didn't just buy it back.

Being a Ford guy.....I'm clearly biased, but having to totally rebuild the entire truck in only 8 years service and <100K miles is really bad.
:lol: I already knew all that! :lol: :lol:
Yeah I'm SCREWED....I think.
It all looks good on paper but the reality has now set in.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Dad had a Tundra, maybe 2001. They wanted to do a frame on it too, same deal. The dealership changed their story once they got ahold of the truck. They did want to replace fuel tank support straps, maybe some other items, but it became clear that the free job was going to cost us a good bit of money. Ended up we took the truck out of there with no work done, because they changed the story and couldnt give us a price for what they proposed.

After we pulled the truck the dealership had the audacity to bill him for the "free loaner truck" which had previously been described to us as free.

This was 3-4 years ago, sorry I dont recall any more details at this moment.

Too bad it wasnt the smaller model Toyota truck. My buddy had one he bought new. I am told they could not source a frame for that model, so at 12 years, 1/4Million miles, Toyota bought it back, paid him $10,200 for his old truck. No such offer on Tundra's though. My buddy bought a new one, he loves it.

·
Registered
11,926 Posts
I am an admitted old fart and would walk before driving a Toyota, Nissan, Honda etc. and it doesn't seem like a truck that new should need a new frame. However, I think the fact that Toyota is willing to replace the frames on affected vehicles says a lot for their customer service. A complete frame replacement is an expensive repair. I don't know that all manufacturers would go to that length without many lawsuits.

To answer Gizmo's concern, regardless of what I planned to do with the truck eventually, I would at least have the frame replaced. The new frame should have bearing on the value of the truck whether it is traded, sold or kept for another 100,000 miles.

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
Definitely let THEM pay for the frame rebuild. But - If the frame is that rusty I bet they break a TON of stuff during disassembly (rusted/seized) and have to replace it anyway (assuming they do properly repair anything they mess up.) Make sure they give you some kind of warranty on the work they do to ensure you don't have any short-term issues BECAUSE of stuff THEY broke/mis-assembled during this "repair".

I'd then dump that sucker like a hot turd. :laugh:

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
To keep or sell is the first question to answer, because if I planned to keep it I would do all the body mounts, fuel tank straps, suspension bushings, etc. If you want to get rid of it then I would have the frame done and the absolute minimum to go along with it because a prospective buyer probably won't notice the new parts unless the existing ones are completely worn.

If you're considering trading it in, kick around some offers before you have the frame done and let a dealership deal with that process.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Before you make a decision, I would ask them if they could put it up on the lift and you could go over a visual inspection (at their expense, of course) of questionable parts. Take pictures. Insist on being present during the inspection and a complete writeup of the cost estimate to you.
Then, you can make the decision whether to proceed with the work or not. Unforeseeable problems could pop up, but at least you would have proof if they try to slip something in on you.

JMO. Only worth .02 cents.

·
Super Moderator
8,056 Posts
I have 2006 Tundra 4x4, TRD with 89000 miles on it. The timing belt has just been replaced. Muffler has recently been replaced also.
Picture taken in March, 2014

Toyota has elected to replace the frame in the truck at no cost to me. Only the costs associated with the frame replacement are being paid for by Toyota. In as much as everything is off the frame anything I want replace before it goes back on will be paid for by me, no labor will be charged (so they say).

I’ve looked under the truck, my list so far is…
Replace Shocks, really look bad but still seem fine
Replace Front Off Road belly pan, rusted out pretty bad

Notes:
Brake lines look fine
The rear axle weld on cover looks really bad, major concern here

Questions:
Do I have the work done and keep the truck or sell/trade it?
What else should I look to replace?
How far do I go with replacement parts and cost to me? Thinking if a control arm, ball joints…etc should be replaced while it’s off?
This has been a huge & expensive problem for Toyota with Tacoma and Tundra pick-ups due to premature rust-out of the frames. It's due to the bad frame material, poor corrosion resistant properties and inadequate corrosion resistance coating. Big money maker for the dealers and techs though. They get paid a flat rate, ~ 40-60 hours and knock them out in a couple of days. The problem is many of these young techs are more interested in "beating the clock" instead of doing quality work. Plastic clips will get broken and not replaced. Self-tapping bolts will be stripped-out and everything in the vehicle will get disturbed. On the surface it sounds like great support and a good gesture from Toyota but from a technical, quality standpoint the result may not pretty. If you're fussy you probably won't want to keep it after the repair.

·
Registered
768 Posts
This has been a huge & expensive problem for Toyota with Tacoma and Tundra pick-ups due to premature rust-out of the frames. It's due to the bad frame material, poor corrosion resistant properties and inadequate corrosion resistance coating. Big money maker for the dealers and techs though. They get paid a flat rate, ~ 40-60 hours and knock them out in a couple of days. The problem is many of these young techs are more interested in "beating the clock" instead of doing quality work. Plastic clips will get broken and not replaced. Self-tapping bolts will be stripped-out and everything in the vehicle will get disturbed. On the surface it sounds like great support and a good gesture from Toyota but from a technical, quality standpoint the result may not pretty. If you're fussy you probably won't want to keep it after the repair.
I can speak from first hand knowledge on this one... I know a service manager of a large Toyota dealership (40 techs working under her) and they had truck frames delivered by the 18 wheeler load weekly, as they had a small team that was dedicated to nothing by frame replacements, knocking out a truck in one day and they were NOT particularly careful. The guys essentially had competitions and would time the crews... Nothing was torqued with a torque wrench and attention to detail was not a priority, as they had a lot of customers to attempt to satisfy. I would quickly dump one of these trucks after the frame replacement no matter how emotionally attached I was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Being a tech for many years in years past, it wouldn't bother me to keep the vehicle if the right Tech was doing the repair, if I knew nothing about who was doing it... I would dump it like a hot turd as others have suggested. Recalls lately have been common place but that is a big one! We sell Chevy, Ford Chrysler, Jeep etc. and seem to get numb with recall data.

Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Man, I've been around a long time and a lot of vehicles but I have never known anyone to have a frame replaced in a vehicle. But I've worked on enough myself to know that this is a major, major undertaking. If there was no reasonable alternative (a buy-back would be nice) and they would really bear the cost I would probably let them do it but would not plan to keep it afterwards. I don't believe it would ever be the same again, hell most shops today can't even rotate the tires without screwing up something else.

(BTW, didn't you have a killer coupon for a new Ram?) :good2::laugh:

·
Registered
269 Posts
I dont understand why they dont just do a buy back instead. If they are worried about liability, a jury may still find Toyota at fault if there's an incident. IIRC, dealer told us it was about $7,000.00 to replace a frame. In our case, we would've been very happy to just sell it outright for far less money. Then they could crush the truck and definitely avoid litigation. I mean gee, they paid $10,200.00 for my buddies Tacoma and crushed it.

His Tacoma looked to be rust-free, but upon close inspection the frame had big holes. I have read posts from techs involved, they say there were trucks which were were so rusted they were afraid to get under them once they were on the lift. They refused to let customers drive them off the lot. I see many on the road today which I must believe the owners chose to ignore the recall, some with major body rust out. An accident waiting to happen?

If they do the job, well, techs want everything to be as new. I would expect it to cost truck owners big bucks.

·
Premium Member
7,748 Posts
Put the least amount of cash and effort into that 'Toyota Ultra Racing Development' (TURD) truck and get rid of it.

That thing sounds more like a Chevy S-10 than a Toyota.

Did Toyota have GM build their trucks?

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks all. Just to let all know, I am not commenting on any particular post as that would just cloud the thread for me. I am however reading every post and really do appreciate the honest postings and IMO they all are good with good points. Exactly what I was looking for, and got. Like I said, "the frame replacement all looks good on paper" but....
THANKS! A BIG THANKS.

Keith

·
Premium Member
7,720 Posts
I am an admitted old fart and would walk before driving a Toyota, Nissan, Honda etc.
As a GM retiree, I agree with the above quote. :flag_of_truce:

From the horror stories, I would not even have the frame replaced. No telling what the real cost would be. I'd sell it "as is" and let the new owner have the frame replaced if desired. Then the new owner could deal with any overage in costs.

When I bought my latest "new to me" used truck I ruled out any made in Mexico "just because". I bought a 2011 Chevy Silverado.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Probably easier to trade it in vs. take on the liability of what the repercussions could be with a private party sale if you forgo the frame replacement.

Vehicles (the daily whip that is) are a depreciable asset, so they are a losing proposition (unless you are talking collector vehicles) for the most part. The focus should be on minimizing your financial hit / liability with this particular situation.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I sincerely apologize if I offended anyone. That was not my intent. I can be offensive in my sleep.
IMO, Not one offensive post here. My thread......I say thank you for you're thoughts and opinions.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I am an admitted old fart and would walk before driving a Toyota, Nissan, Honda etc.
I agree with this also. The furthest I ever went off the reservation was once back in my younger days, I bought and finished a project that someone else had started. It was a Chevy (a little Luv pick-up, made by Isuzu), but the body was about the only thing original. It had been converted to 4-wheel drive, with a Jeep front axle and transfer case, and a nice little V6 Buick engine and automatic trans. It made a nice little toy with the right drive-train. :usa:laugh:

1 - 20 of 325 Posts