Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased my 2014 Ford F-150 4x4 SuperCrew used and it came with a few very nice aftermarket accessories added by the original owner. However, after two years, I'm tired of slipping and tripping on the crappy DeeZee running boards. I've had good luck with DeeZee truck accessories in the past but these are too narrow, too close to the rocker panels and dangerously slippery when wet.

My 2011 F-350 has wonderful Ford factory optional running boards - wide and easy to use so I'm hoping to hear your recommendations on something similar.

I don't care much about "style and appearance" and don't take this truck off road. As I get older, I just need something that's safe and easy to use, especially during the wet winter months. Functionality, quality and durability are more important than price. Thanks!

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I like amp retractable running boards,but big $$$
Mrs. Rod's Escalade has those fancy retractable running boards which are really nice but I figure they'll stop working 10 minutes after the warranty expires.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts

·
Registered
11,764 Posts
I purchased my 2014 Ford F-150 4x4 SuperCrew used and it came with a few very nice aftermarket accessories added by the original owner. However, after two years, I'm tired of slipping and tripping on the crappy DeeZee running boards. I've had good luck with DeeZee truck accessories in the past but these are too narrow, too close to the rocker panels and dangerously slippery when wet.

My 2011 F-350 has wonderful Ford factory optional running boards - wide and easy to use so I'm hoping to hear your recommendations on something similar.

I don't care much about "style and appearance" and don't take this truck off road. As I get older, I just need something that's safe and easy to use, especially during the wet winter months. Functionality, quality and durability are more important than price. Thanks!
sounds like whoever put them boards on-put the short height ones on. back when i bought mine in 06-i had a choice of high ones or a set that was lower to the ground. i chose the lower ones-way easier to step onto-then i added some of stick on strips i got from lowes-they had worked great on our cellar steps yrs before-wasn't shore they would stay on outside with the weather but they have done good. mine are the dee-zee boards-now they have lost there glow-as i call it-could use a paint job for sure.

but i would replace them in a heart beat on a new truck again. wife even bent the one side -when she turned onto the wrong thumping road at the strip job-back in 07 to fetch my old ford work truck home while i was in the hospital. at least she didn't tear it off.
i had a set of bars on my 2000 chevy truck-and i didn't like them at all-but i put up with them till i traded in 05. no more off them for me. just my 2 cts.

·
Registered
650 Posts
If you liked the OEM boards on your F350 look into getting OEM for your current truck.

Doug

·
Premium Member
7,338 Posts

·
Administrator
17,323 Posts

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I like amp retractable running boards,but big $$$
I second the Amp retractable. Takes a lot of time to install but once they are done they are super nice. Plus they will lower farther than any running boards I have seen and not be in the road of normal driving when retracted. I have them on my 2500HD.

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
I have always liked the DeZee diamond plate. They are strong enough to hold me and look nice. :good2:

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you liked the OEM boards on your F350 look into getting OEM for your current truck.

Doug
Thanks, Doug....I previously checked with the local dealership that quoted more than $1800 EACH for the OEM boards similar to those on my F-350.

·
Registered
11,764 Posts
I have always liked the DeZee diamond plate. They are strong enough to hold me and look nice. :good2:
:hide: yeah-but for added comfort on mine i made a extra bracket for right where i step on the drivers side-and liked that so much-i added one on the passenger side. u never know...................at least that's what went thru my mind:mocking:

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I put Raptor Series 5" oval bars on my new 2017 Ram 2500. Definitely needed a step on that truck because that thing sits HIGH. I chose the Raptors because I could get them in wheel-to-wheel, they came in black (no chrome on my truck) and they looked good. Had them coated with Rhino Lining bedliner because in MN anything painted getting showered with road salt will rust quickly. And they are reasonably priced too - under $400 for the wheel-to-wheel version.

Rob

·
Corndog Hater
11,278 Posts
iBoard Running Boards.
Easy to install.
Very solid.
Very sturdy.
I have these on my Silverado, which is leased. Great bang for the buck and I would buy them again. However, a couple Silverados we test drove had factory running my boards which were very wide. The iBoards, IMO, aren’t real wide.

·
Hey, I want a title too!
3,675 Posts
I took mine off years ago. Probably won’t ever put them back on. One less thing to catch on n the back country.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
743 Posts
I have the iBoards on my '17 Silverado crew cab.

They come in 4" 5" and 6" widths... black or silver

iBoard Running Board Side Steps

maybe cheaper at amazon...

·
Corndog Hater
11,278 Posts
I have the iBoards on my '17 Silverado crew cab.

They come in 4" 5" and 6" widths... black or silver

iBoard Running Board Side Steps

maybe cheaper at amazon...
Thanks for jogging my memory Erik, I forgot they do come in different widths. I cheaped out and got the 4" ones as they will just go with the truck when the lease is up.

·
Official "Groovie" Dude
5,663 Posts
I went with a stainless eBay set that are 5 inches wide. Wish I would have chosen the 6 inch wide ones and ones that were wheel to wheel.

Around here farm and fleet sells Lund products and the boards are pretty nice and reasonable in cost. I would have bought these if I would have known at the time.

My only recommendation is get 6 inch and look at the wheel to wheel version.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts