Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening all,

We have a F150 FX4 with 4 wheel drive and I was just curious what other pickup drivers use for weight in the bed during the winter. In the past, I have put about 250 lbs of softener salt bags in the back. These have worked ok if I need to load something I can move them aside without too much effort. The only downside is the plastic bags are prone to tear if something sharp gets thrown in the rear.

Looking forward to any ideas and suggestions.

Thanks,
Doug

·
Administrator
20,839 Posts
I used to use bags of sand. Was handy if you needed some for extra traction, especially for other drivers.:good2:

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I currently have a 03 F250 2wd and a 05 F350 4wd, both diesels. Usually dont put anything in the 350 but sometimes I do put some 70lb sandbags I bought from Menards about 15 years ago.. I normally put 6 in the 250, 3 on each side right behind the wheel wells.

I have always weighed the trucks front axle vs. rear. That way I know how much LBs I can add before the front is less than the rear. :flag_of_truce:

·
Registered
892 Posts
I don't put anything in my 2500's bed either. It's 7700 lbs all by its lonesome and does pretty good on the slick stuff.

Jim

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
My truck is about 8K empty, but being a flatbed dually there's not much ground pressure in the rear. I've used sandbags, railroad timbers, oak timbers, industrial batteries, whatever was handy.

My work truck weighs about 10K, I don't do anything for it. There are enough tools and parts in there it usually does alright.

·
Registered
149 Posts
My F250 has the 7.3l gas engine and will easily tail dance around. A good set of all-season snow/mud tires helped quite a bit. After that i learn to be lighter with the right foot or just put'r in 4WD.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,759 Posts
I have always gone empty also, so no help here.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
5 gallon pails filled with sand or salt work well. Have filled the bed with fire wood or even snow for the big snow falls.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I use 9 40lb bags of softner salt in my 02 ford crew cab. I have to run weight with the plow, but I'm too lazy to take it out when I yank the plow off. I keep it right next to the tailgate. It does seem to help a lot even with the plow off.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
I have always gone empty also, so no help here.
He said "in the bed", not "in the head"... :)

I never used to put anything specific in the beds of my 4x4 trucks. Most I ever had was about 50 lbs of ratcheting tie downs and chains in a Rubbermaid bin.

My brother got a couple of tubes for Semi wheels, cut a "strip" out to remove the valve stem, tied up one end with heavy wire, filled with sand, then tied the other end off. They were pliable enough to lay in the bed curved around the wheel wells, but you could move them up onto the wells if you needed to put something into the bed.

·
Registered
206 Posts
OOOK... use the FEL, and drop the ballast box in there... PROBLEM SOLVED!
Oh wait, that means no ballast... Yep I'm empty in the head too.

·
Registered
12,033 Posts
I have two 70 pound tube bags in the rear of my Silverado and need two more.

·
Registered
991 Posts
I have been driving Chevy dually 1 tons for 30 years and found the best thing I could do for myself was put an aggressive set of snow tires on and drive like you want to keep your truck. I buy an extra set of wheels on ebay or where ever and they pay for themselves with convenience and saving on change over costs. When I drove a 3/4 ton I carried some steel grate pieces to get me out of tough spots because you are going to have them. Drive like you OWN it not STOLE it!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts