Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Getting ready to move Monday. The washer and dryer in the new house fit in a long counter in the entry way. I wa really worried about getting the dryer hooked up. Over the years I have fought many ducts slipping off and trying to get clamps to tighten.

So I found this at the store and am going to give it a try. It has a locking snap couplings at each end that lock in the metallic flex house. Once that is snapped on the coupling a big clear flexible gasket goes over the vent pipe (it is wedged shaped) and you just press the coupling on. Dryer gets moved Monday but the coupling to the exhaust vent in the floor is really tight.

On Monday it should just be slide the gasket on the dryer push the right angle coupling on and shove it up against the wall. You also can’t crush the hose. I think they call it Snap Fit.

97DEF6BC-F341-4642-AADE-B3B7B3A6C34F.jpeg

C1E4A11F-747D-4792-9739-0F3107C57A44.jpeg

39438EEB-723D-4D89-98ED-640CCCFA37BA.jpeg

0AFD503A-57D7-44C8-B2A2-22A1F2232846.jpeg

·
Premium Member
14,702 Posts
Looks a lot easier than trying to stand on your head trying to get a clamp around the hose and when you push the dryer totally back in place it falls off. :banghead::banghead::laugh:

Never seen that , when this dryer goes may have to look for that ,, pretty nice. :bigthumb:

Thanks

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,396 Posts
I've use 4" flexible stove pipe/chimney liner with 4" stove pipe elbows (the kind that swivel) for like ever.

·
Registered
11,882 Posts
I've use 4" flexible stove pipe/chimney liner with 4" stove pipe elbows (the kind that swivel) for like ever.
So have I and a lot of duct tape. They are a pain in the a$$. I was excited about this coupler. I'll try this next time my set up goes to crap. The one good thing about getting old is that stuff like this doesn't have to last as long.:banghead:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,396 Posts
So have I and a lot of duct tape. They are a pain in the a$$. I was excited about this coupler. I'll try this next time my set up goes to crap. The one good thing about getting old is that stuff like this doesn't have to last as long.:banghead:
I'd like to think you're at least going to have breakfast. :munch: :mocking:

·
Registered
11,882 Posts
Better hurry up and get the toaster going for my peanut butter and jelly breakfast sandwich.

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
In all my years doing remodeling, hooking up dryer vents was one of the things I dreaded doing. When I was redoing our laundry room, I searched for a better wat to do the dryer vents.
I do not remember seeing the one MeagerHair posted above. I did find the Magvent dryer vent hook up & decided to give it a try. It was the easiest dryer hookup I ever did.

https://www.magvent-dryervent.com/

·
Registered
22,647 Posts
Is there a reason for using the flexible vent pipe? I have mine all with rigid 4” round duct - never had any issues. I can just slip the elbow off the dryer itself and can pull it away from the wall.

·
Premium Member
7,687 Posts
Next on my list for today.……………………...Breakfast, not a dryer vent :hi:

·
Administrator
20,668 Posts
Is there a reason for using the flexible vent pipe?
Because it can be a royal PIA to get to the hookup and actually connect the dryer.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I'm not a fan of flexible duct. Lint can trap in it a lot easier and I worry about it tearing. I always use rigid ducting and hose clamp to connect to dryer. It also has less air resistance.

I also use high grade foil tape that is high temperature resistant to seal and reinforce any seams and elbows in the ducting. Example below.

https://www.itape.com/-/media/files/tds/foil/foil_alf201l-ul_tds.pdf

·
Registered
752 Posts
Rigid vent duct here too. I use two, 1/4" self tapping screws at all connections. They only have to be 3-4 inches apart to hold everything together. Hell, one 1/4" self tapper won't let it come apart. The holes line back up too, sort of like a detent, after you take it apart. With a magnetic nut driver on the impact, they are a breeze to reach for removal and installation.

I use this space save piece coming right out of the dryer. So much easier to mess with than flex duct is...
Deflect-O Jordan 4 in. Dia. Silver/White Aluminum Dryer Vent Kit - Ace Hardware

Lastly, to top it off, this has been one of my favorite upgrades to the dryer vent duct. It has made a huge difference in how the laundry room feels and how long the clothes stays warm in the dryer after it shuts off....
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00009W3I4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
I'm not a fan of flexible duct. Lint can trap in it a lot easier and I worry about it tearing. I always use rigid ducting and hose clamp to connect to dryer. It also has less air resistance.

I also use high grade foil tape that is high temperature resistant to seal and reinforce any seams and elbows in the ducting. Example below.

https://www.itape.com/-/media/files/tds/foil/foil_alf201l-ul_tds.pdf
Rigid vent duct here too. I use two, 1/4" self tapping screws at all connections. They only have to be 3-4 inches apart to hold everything together. Hell, one 1/4" self tapper won't let it come apart. The holes line back up too, sort of like a detent, after you take it apart. With a magnetic nut driver on the impact, they are a breeze to reach for removal and installation.

I use this space save piece coming right out of the dryer. So much easier to mess with than flex duct is...
Deflect-O Jordan 4 in. Dia. Silver/White Aluminum Dryer Vent Kit - Ace Hardware

Lastly, to top it off, this has been one of my favorite upgrades to the dryer vent duct. It has made a huge difference in how the laundry room feels and how long the clothes stays warm in the dryer after it shuts off....
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00009W3I4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
You guys must have tiny arms or really really long screw drivers. Dirty hooked our last one. I had to about stuff him in there and hold his legs.:lol:

·
Registered
752 Posts
You guys must have tiny arms or really really long screw drivers. Dirty hooked our last one. I had to about stuff him in there and hold his legs.:lol:
Luckily, I am able to access the back of the dryer pretty easily.
Even with the rigid duct, there's still enough slop in the system that the dryer can be moved around quite a bit, before things get real tight.

·
Registered
22,647 Posts
Luckily, I am able to access the back of the dryer pretty easily.
Even with the rigid duct, there's still enough slop in the system that the dryer can be moved around quite a bit, before things get real tight.
Same here with rigid duct. I purposely did not screw the elbow onto the back of the dryer so I could easily slip it off if need be. It has never come off on its own.

I have plenty of access to my dryer. But even if I didn’t I could grab the straight section nearest the dryer and be able to pull the elbow off.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It was a hectic day yesterday getting the rental loaded out and to the new house. Once we got everything in the new house we had to run to the old house and load out the small stuff we needed and the pups.

Dryer install was a snap. They set it down about a foot fro the wall before they brought the washer in. I slid the clear flexible gasket on the washer pipe. Popped the elbow on and shoved it up against the wall. About a 20 second hook-up.

F7F331B6-D4C8-4CD0-A22E-4AD4DDC4AA7F.jpeg

1 - 18 of 18 Posts