Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have had my eye out for some proper flotation tires, the turfs (R3's?) are good but the front tires on these 2 series are just too damn skinny. They also have a squared off profile and when coupled with a surprisingly short sidewall it makes for a very narrow contact patch any time you're making a turn. Ie. it makes ruts. I could mow with the ballast box on the back to take some weight off the front axle, but the tractor is heavy enough already.

Anyway, I came across a new tire today, it's a 24x12R14 4 ply turf tire. I assume its for the extra bigass zero turns like the z997 and 72" bobcat. I never knew they used a 14" rim, apparently its a new thing. But yea, I bought a pair for around $200. We'll see if I can shoehorn them on to the factory rims.

They are nearly 4" wider but if they fit on the rims there shouldn't be any rubbing; the diameter is slightly larger, putting weight on them may negate that but MFWD should act just the same, I don't think tolerances are that tight. Also of concern is the 4 ply rating instead of 6, I bet they'll hold up alright though. If they fail I'll be sure to post the carnage. Expecting delivery on Monday so stay tuned...

·
Premium Member
8,735 Posts
Interesting. Be sure to post some pictures.

·
Premium Member
2020 1025R, 120R, 54D
2,498 Posts
If those tires are really 4" wider than the rims I would think they will crown quite a bit (assuming you can even get them mounted) causing the contact patch to be affected. That could also change the circumference and diameter to have an effect on the MFWD.

Reactions: Jimmy Walker

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok guys the FedEx man came by a few hours ago with the tires. Long story short I ordered two sets; first merchant said 'processing error' so I assumed it didn't go through. Next day I ordered from a second seller. Turns out the first one processed just fine and they arrived two days later without any communication or receipt. Whatever... anyone else wanna try a pair?

They fit on the wheels fine. I broke the bead with my truck and used motorcycle tire irons and a little dish soap spray. No problemo. You can tell they're not as tough as the Mighty Mow turfs, but this is 4 ply vs 6 so its to be expected. The tire is definitely taller and I'm wondering what effect this may have long term. Bigger diameter means slower to make a full revolution, which means they are now going to push rather than pull. No binding that I can feel, I tested for about a half hour on a bunch of surfaces and if anything it's better. I went and got stuck in some sticky mud, dragged myself out with the front loader, then took another run at it. Got all four tires looking like racing slicks. Again no evidence of binding, but it doesnt want to pull out of ruts as easily. Too bad I didnt do this a month ago, ice would make it really easy to see.

They are much more forgiving on the grass, that I could tell immediately. Everything is saturated this time of year and that was the impetus for this purchase. Instead of breaking through to the soil below it floats on top of the grass. So I am slinging clear water off the tires instead of mud and debris like before. When I take the front loader off it'll be even better. Speaking of front loader, the tires didnt seem to mind a full bucket of composted soil. They are squishier no doubt, but at 20psi the sidewalls are holding perfectly with all that weight, no worse than the mighty schmos. Time will tell.

So yeah, for $200 I'm happy. I think they look much better too, more like the Deeres from the 80s and 90s. Now I gotta find some rear tires.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Is the tire OD the same as the original? If not you are going to have issues with the front drive train when using 4WD.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
The tires are 1" larger in diameter. I just did the calculations to see just how much difference this makes, Deere recommends staying within 5% of the original overspeed ratio. I went from a rolling circumference of 72.3" to 75.4". I calculated a 4.2% increase in the ratio front to rear. Within tolerances, but not by much.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Loose/slippery terrain in 4wd, where the tires can spin and not bind, you'll be fine.

Reactions: Dr Maphesto

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Yeah, if you avoid 4WD on non-slippery surfaces (which you should anyway) it shouldn't harm the driveline. You could also air the tires down to reduce the effective height. Remember, what matters is the radius the hub spins around, not the overall diameter.

Rob

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
I had a Kubota BX before my JD2025r and those are the tires that came on it, both front and rear, although a smaller size. Just my opinion but the turfs that came on my JD are better. They have better traction and are more aggressive and a lot tougher tire. Do the JD tires tear up the turf more? Maybe? Maybe not??

·
Premium Member
8,735 Posts
Bigger diameter means slower to make a full revolution, which means they are now going to push rather than pull.
Looks good. Still pulling, in fact pulling harder. Larger diameter means traveling further in 1 revolution.

Reactions: wildbranch2007
1 - 11 of 11 Posts