Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, they have finally invented the Gator I have been waiting for. Now I have to decide between gas and diesel. I would feel better having a Yanmar under the hood as opposed to the Chery engine. Not sure if the feeling is rational or not.
I like diesel engines for numerous reasons, but I am concerned whether or not the diesel would be under powered. The slower top speed of the diesel doesn’t bother me much, since I will just be running around the area and farm, and 30 mph is plenty fast for that. I wonder if the diesel will pull as good, climb hills is good, and run the HVAC as good.
I know the 865R is a new model, and there may not be anybody on the forum with one of those, but there should be a few 855’s there. What do you all think about their overall workability?

·
Administrator
20,284 Posts
Other than top speed, I would *think* the diesel would be pretty good at all of those tasks. I too would be happy with the Yanmar.

Personally, I think you’ve made your decision. You just need to test drive it and seal the deal.

Don’t forget to post some pics to drive BigJim up a wall. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your right, I want a diesel. I would have to have a reason NOT to go that route.
Maybe I will wait till big Jim gets one, then I will aggressively question him on its merits:good2:

·
Registered
11,656 Posts
Other than top speed, I would *think* the diesel would be pretty good at all of those tasks. I too would be happy with the Yanmar.

Personally, I think you’ve made your decision. You just need to test drive it and seal the deal.

Don’t forget to post some pics to drive BigJim up a wall. :thumbup1gif:
:bigthumb: heck ya-post away-and bring on the thoughts.

if the diesel is or would run as good as my 2520 MCUT has.........then i would be happy to pay the $2,000 difference from gas.

i too don't care about the speed, as even with the window down, still gonna have the A/C on some. and we're just gonna be putzing around my back roads looking for wild animals. i kinda had my mind made up on the gas job-till now-u got me thinking again:think:

and i have yet to drive either one? i just love:lovetongue:it to bits. jd hit a ball park homer for us bigger people of the world-yes-sir-ree. lot's of good room-a window that can be rolled up and down-jeez-just too many goodies to mention.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:bigthumb: heck ya-post away-and bring on the thoughts.

if the diesel is or would run as good as my 2520 MCUT has.........then i would be happy to pay the $2,000 difference from gas.

i too don't care about the speed, as even with the window down, still gonna have the A/C on some. and we're just gonna be putzing around my back roads looking for wild animals. i kinda had my mind made up on the gas job-till now-u got me thinking again:think:

and i have yet to drive either one? i just love:lovetongue:it to bits. jd hit a ball park homer for us bigger people of the world-yes-sir-ree. lot's of good room-a window that can be rolled up and down-jeez-just too many goodies to mention.
I started out thinking I would go gas too because of the top speed and cold starting, but then I started thinking of the fuel thing....I have 3 diesels already, and I like the simplicity of a diesel, and it’s hard to say a bad thing about a Yanmar.
And I’ll keep it inside with a place to plug in a block heater....heck I might make room for it in my heated shop!

·
Registered
11,656 Posts
I started out thinking I would go gas too because of the top speed and cold starting, but then I started thinking of the fuel thing....I have 3 diesels already, and I like the simplicity of a diesel, and it’s hard to say a bad thing about a Yanmar.
And I’ll keep it inside with a place to plug in a block heater....heck I might make room for it in my heated shop!
have u drove either of the models yet? my dealer had one of each a month ago--didn't want to jinx myself just yet. gotta wait till later this summer to purchase one-as some of my savings will be coming due then.

i've thought of going the 835M--for the cab room, and no A/C----there was one fella on here several months ago that said fellas down south was complaining of no power on the hills with the A/C on. he said mother deere told them to tell customer to turn the a/c off till they got to the top of the hill.
so that's kinda why i was going the gas route-for the more HP--:dunno: i don't know if my dealer has even sold any yet?

back in November salesman claimed 3 or 4 guys was wanting to trade their 3 and 4 yr old cabbed gators in for a 2018 yr one-but i have yet to see any of them used gators show up.:nunu: i figure the price maybe shoohed them away--:dunno:

·
Registered
21,163 Posts
have u drove either of the models yet? my dealer had one of each a month ago--didn't want to jinx myself just yet. gotta wait till later this summer to purchase one-as some of my savings will be coming due then.

i've thought of going the 835M--for the cab room, and no A/C----there was one fella on here several months ago that said fellas down south was complaining of no power on the hills with the A/C on. he said mother deere told them to tell customer to turn the a/c off till they got to the top of the hill.
so that's kinda why i was going the gas route-for the more HP--:dunno: i don't know if my dealer has even sold any yet?

back in November salesman claimed 3 or 4 guys was wanting to trade their 3 and 4 yr old cabbed gators in for a 2018 yr one-but i have yet to see any of them used gators show up.:nunu: i figure the price maybe shoohed them away--:dunno:
I know nothing about these Gators. But...more horsepower in a gas engine vs a diesel -diesel is going to have more torque - period. I would think that torque would be a big factor in running the A/C while pulling a hill.

On my wish list are a Gator and a zero turn mower. Both will be diesel if I ever get either one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I currently own an 855d with the deluxe cab and have owned the kubota 1100 which had ac. Never felt underpowered with either machine compared to gas models. Only thing you give up is top speed. I personally like the low end pulling power of the diese for what I use the machines for.
I'm also in market for the 865r but my only concern is the cab noise. I have not driven one yet so can't comment. However my 855d with the doors on the cab make it practically unusable due to the noise in the cab. Literally can't hold conversation so the doors were removed permanently. Hope this is better with new cab.
If you get chance to test drive I would appreciate feedback on cab noise.

·
Registered
11,656 Posts
I currently own an 855d with the deluxe cab and have owned the kubota 1100 which had ac. Never felt underpowered with either machine compared to gas models. Only thing you give up is top speed. I personally like the low end pulling power of the diese for what I use the machines for.
I'm also in market for the 865r but my only concern is the cab noise. I have not driven one yet so can't comment. However my 855d with the doors on the cab make it practically unusable due to the noise in the cab. Literally can't hold conversation so the doors were removed permanently. Hope this is better with new cab.
If you get chance to test drive I would appreciate feedback on cab noise.
what consists of this deluxe cab u have now?

do u have the doors that ur windows crank up and down-or slide back and forth?

i know just adding my canopy to the tractor made more noise for sure.

i'm pretty sure the 2018 models-R-has a interior padding-or i guess a sounding deading--cause i asked if i would be able to hear the AM/FM radio while riding it-claimed it was just like riding inside my pickup truck going down the road:dunno:

here's a review of one on u-tube. this fella must own a dealer on the side as he has all kind of goodies
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOie5KEzg9s

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have driven both. The R cabs are very quiet. M's are not bad either.

On gas or diesel, the Yanmar is ok. If that is all you've ridden in or have been in a Kubota, you would be ecstatic. That said, the gas is light years more engaging and full of life. Power to spare, top speed if you need it, and just way stronger off the bottom. Resale will be better too I think (I know, the reverse of the usual). We sell basically zero diesels these days since the Cherry engine came to be, and they have been rock solid reliable.

To me, $2K buys a lot of gas. Save it and buy accessories.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The 855d deluxe cab has solid glass doors that don't have roll down windows. Air tight but no heater or ac. That's why I bought the kubota. The kubota was a dog and it had to go. Definitely excited about the new 865r but need to test drive one first. Glad to hear that the noise in cab is comparable to the gas model. The diesel kubota held value very well, I had no trouble selling it for near what I paid for it new. Look forward to your review on the new machine.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have driven both. The R cabs are very quiet. M's are not bad either.

On gas or diesel, the Yanmar is ok. If that is all you've ridden in or have been in a Kubota, you would be ecstatic. That said, the gas is light years more engaging and full of life. Power to spare, top speed if you need it, and just way stronger off the bottom. Resale will be better too I think (I know, the reverse of the usual). We sell basically zero diesels these days since the Cherry engine came to be, and they have been rock solid reliable.

I appreciate the feedback. You are making a hard decision even harder!
So noise inside the cab on either model is not an issue?
I hear the CVT engagement seems better on the diesel, because of lower RPM. Is that noticeable?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Gas or diesel decision comes down to personal preference for me. I like the fact the diesel goes forever on one tank of fuel. I also buy diesel in bulk so for me it is a matter of convenience. For me the gator is for tasks around the farm. The Polaris is used for fun. The gas engine is definitely faster and more responsive on the Polaris but not built as well as the gator for work in my opinion only

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Well, they have finally invented the Gator I have been waiting for. Now I have to decide between gas and diesel. I would feel better having a Yanmar under the hood as opposed to the Chery engine. Not sure if the feeling is rational or not.
I like diesel engines for numerous reasons, but I am concerned whether or not the diesel would be under powered. The slower top speed of the diesel doesn’t bother me much, since I will just be running around the area and farm, and 30 mph is plenty fast for that. I wonder if the diesel will pull as good, climb hills is good, and run the HVAC as good.
I know the 865R is a new model, and there may not be anybody on the forum with one of those, but there should be a few 855’s there. What do you all think about their overall workability?

Glad to see you are back amongst us. I stated a while back that I had not seen you online for some time, but got no response. Been worried.

Dave

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,686 Posts

Funny, my dealer basically said the same thing.
BTW, I agree.

·
Registered
12,252 Posts
Your right, I want a diesel. I would have to have a reason NOT to go that route.
Maybe I will wait till big Jim gets one, then I will aggressively question him on its merits:good2:
At the rate he's going you might be waiting awhile :lol:

:hide:

·
Registered
11,656 Posts
At the rate he's going you might be waiting awhile :lol:

:hide:
:banghead:yeah-as i said before-me can't do anything till................................certain stars line up for me.:dunno:that ain't gonna happen till middle of July or AUGUST maybe.:banghead:

all this damn thinking about the first thing i fell in love with( wife) and now the 2nd thing i fell in love with(2018 835R gator) has got me thinking about certain things in life. told the wife-i'll trade the new 835r to a used 825I so that she can have central air in the house. oh boy did i get lots of hugs and kiss's then:laugh::clap: she wanted central air when we did the dealings on this house-and i was too damn cheap then to have it put in--i said just open the windows-right.:dunno: so now i'm feeling guilty about the air in the gator.-maybe a little.:lol::drama:

so after last night's thumping dream of hauling lime on gizmo2's gator--something is working on me-even while sleeping. jeepers:mocking::munch:

·
Registered
12,252 Posts
:banghead:yeah-as i said before-me can't do anything till................................certain stars line up for me.:dunno:that ain't gonna happen till middle of July or AUGUST maybe.:banghead:

all this damn thinking about the first thing i fell in love with( wife) and now the 2nd thing i fell in love with(2018 835R gator) has got me thinking about certain things in life. told the wife-i'll trade the new 835r to a used 825I so that she can have central air in the house. oh boy did i get lots of hugs and kiss's then:laugh::clap: she wanted central air when we did the dealings on this house-and i was too damn cheap then to have it put in--i said just open the windows-right.:dunno: so now i'm feeling guilty about the air in the gator.-maybe a little.:lol::drama:

so after last night's thumping dream of hauling lime on gizmo2's gator--something is working on me-even while sleeping. jeepers:mocking::munch:
Sounds like someone might be renewing his vows. :thumbup1gif:

What do they say :dunno: if the house is rocking don't bother knocking :yahoo::fire:

:lol:

·
Registered
21,163 Posts

Now that makes much more sense to me. Plus, don't forget - grandbabies ain't cheap either....

·
Registered
11,656 Posts
Sounds like someone might be renewing his vows. :thumbup1gif:

What do they say :dunno: if the house is rocking don't bother knocking :yahoo::fire:

:lol:
none of that stuff like being remarried or whatever its called-naw.:lol: i married her once-that's it.

:hide: noo rocking going on here-that i know:laugh: for sure. all i can stay is enjoy it while ya can-cause what the old people tell ya when ur young:nunu: it does seem to come true:lol:​ when U get OLD.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts