Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm buying a house next week and I will need a mower/tractor. I'm buying 48 acres. With about 4 fairly nice finish lawn, 3 mid grade lawn/field and 3 rough power line. The rest is rolling hills heavily wooded. I had been thinking I would get a 1025r with 60" MMM, FEL and 48" Frontier rotary cutter. I just learned that some relatives that are going to rent our garage apartment have a small riding mower. This now has me wondering if I should just not get the MMM, or would it make more sense to move up to a 2 or 3 series without a MMM. Originally I was thinking the 1025r for its size getting up close around the house and stuff. But I was a bit nervous about it being kinda small for everything else, but I may have been spoiled using my family's 3, 4 and 6 series over the years. I still like the thought of having 1 tractor/mower to maintain, and of the riding mower really sucks or dies soon I will need to either get a MMM or another riding mower. I have been using my parents' zero turn and I realize I don't like them like I do with a lawn tractor or CUT. I don't really care that my lawn is perfect, but I don't want to tear it up either. The land doesn't really have any heavy loader work that's needed. It will be helpful for gathering wood for the wood stove and in that respect a smaller tractor will drive through the woods easier.

I like the 2032r (2017) as it seems like a good size balance. But not sure if it's really worth the significant cost increase.

Reactions: Levi and 2032Ranger

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Welcome to GTT. I can't help on the tractor but there are plenty of owners here with those that should be along to give you their opinion

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
:wgtt:

With 10 acres to mow,,, I hope you are retired,, or IMHO,, the 1 series might not be time effective.

BUT,, I am a bigger is better tractor fan,,, :dunno:

:laugh:

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:wgtt:

With 10 acres to mow,,, I hope you are retired,, or IMHO,, the 1 series might not be time effective.

BUT,, I am a bigger is better tractor fan,,, :dunno:

:laugh:
Yeah the thought has crossed my mind. However the power lines don't need to be cut but maybe once a month. I'll also probably cut the field every 2-3 weeks with the close in lawn every 1-2 weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Yeah the thought has crossed my mind. However the power lines don't need to be cut but maybe once a month. I'll also probably cut the field every 2-3 weeks with the close in lawn every 1-2 weeks.

With the mowing you have listed, a 1 series certainly will get the job done. Considering the acreage in its entirety and the mowing you listed, I think a 2 series would serve you better for the current and into the future.

·
Premium Member
2,753 Posts
Welcome from Illinois I have a 1025r with 60" and it trims up close well. I also have a 72" Grooming mower I pull behind a older tractor. With me on the groomer and my wife on the 1025 it takes 1.5 hours to mow 3 acres. Your renter might no always be there. Do I have you confused by now. I my opinion a 2 series would probably serve you better

Reactions: Levi

·
Registered
126 Posts
you didn't mention what you might be doing with the woods part of the property.......... I would suggest 3 series and 4 series isn't out of the question when you do more than mow. Like cut trees and haul firewood. Make trails for atv's, horses or what ever. Easy to spend someone elses money.........:greentractorride:

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
That much property and maintenance I would look into at minimum of a 2 and better yet a 3 series. I think you will be kicking yourself down the road with a 1 series. not saying they would not do the job. But with that much open area I could see a 5' rotary mower for the large areas. Not sure how much hills you have but the 2 series would have about as much power as you would want but yet maintain the small footprint for a tractor. The FEL would definitely come in handy for wood moving and even better get a set of forks, you will not go wrong with the forks.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you didn't mention what you might be doing with the woods part of the property.......... I would suggest 3 series and 4 series isn't out of the question when you do more than mow. Like cut trees and haul firewood. Make trails for atv's, horses or what ever. Easy to spend someone elses money.........:greentractorride:
The woods are large hardwoods. There are already quite a few trails and making more will be easy by taking down some really small brush/baby trees. My wife doesn't want to clear any of the big stuff. I will be hauling firewood but plan to mostly rely on picking up fallen stuff. Having used a 4 series I think that will be a bit big. I could see a 3, but it seems like with a 3 I would need to always use a separate riding mower around the house. Not that this is a problem, but it does limit my ability to justify this purchase to the wife. She has approved the ~$20k I told her we'd probably spend and I think I could go up to $30k. Beyond that I think I'd have to wait on the purchase until justification arises.

·
Corndog Hater
11,777 Posts
I mow 3 to 3.5 acres every week with the 60" MMM on my 1026R. I use a 48" rotary cutter/bush hog to cut 4 acres of field grass once or twice a year. Would a 2 series be better? Maybe. Would a 3 series be even better? Possibly. But the 1026R does every thing we ask of it, and does it in relative comfort. I had a 2320 years ago. I ran the same bush hog on it and had the 62" MMM. I don't think I saw any time difference in my tasks between the two machines. A 3 series would be too heavy for regular use on my often damp and soft clay soils.

Good luck and have fun.:good2:

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
The woods are large hardwoods. There are already quite a few trails and making more will be easy by taking down some really small brush/baby trees. My wife doesn't want to clear any of the big stuff. I will be hauling firewood but plan to mostly rely on picking up fallen stuff. Having used a 4 series I think that will be a bit big. I could see a 3, but it seems like with a 3 I would need to always use a separate riding mower around the house. Not that this is a problem, but it does limit my ability to justify this purchase to the wife. She has approved the ~$20k I told her we'd probably spend and I think I could go up to $30k. Beyond that I think I'd have to wait on the purchase until justification arises.

The 3-series still supports a mid mount mower. My dad (84 yrs old) mows his 2 acres with a 3-series w/cab. He wants to stay cool in the summer. He has lots of out buildings and farm equipment around, so lots of obstacles.

Anyway, it will do fine around your house. The auto-connect makes it easy to attach.

So, I would recommend a 3 series so that you can handle the larger rear cutter.

Tim

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'm buying a house next week and I will need a mower/tractor. I'm buying 48 acres. With about 4 fairly nice finish lawn, 3 mid grade lawn/field and 3 rough power line. The rest is rolling hills heavily wooded. I had been thinking I would get a 1025r with 60" MMM, FEL and 48" Frontier rotary cutter. I just learned that some relatives that are going to rent our garage apartment have a small riding mower. This now has me wondering if I should just not get the MMM, or would it make more sense to move up to a 2 or 3 series without a MMM. Originally I was thinking the 1025r for its size getting up close around the house and stuff. But I was a bit nervous about it being kinda small for everything else, but I may have been spoiled using my family's 3, 4 and 6 series over the years. I still like the thought of having 1 tractor/mower to maintain, and of the riding mower really sucks or dies soon I will need to either get a MMM or another riding mower. I have been using my parents' zero turn and I realize I don't like them like I do with a lawn tractor or CUT. I don't really care that my lawn is perfect, but I don't want to tear it up either. The land doesn't really have any heavy loader work that's needed. It will be helpful for gathering wood for the wood stove and in that respect a smaller tractor will drive through the woods easier.

I like the 2032r (2017) as it seems like a good size balance. But not sure if it's really worth the significant cost increase.
Given the amount of mention of mowing vs "tractor" work vs property size, I'd consider the 2025r. The 2032r may not be ideal for close up mowing, though it might work in combination with the rider mentioned. The 2025r is the biggest tractor that's still practical as a mower, but will also offer decent tractor abilities on a good size plot.

However, the 2032r is the first model with desired tractor features like direct injection, stronger tyranny gearing, faster hydraulics, etc. Unfortunately, you're still stuck with a 2 range tranny (Booo!) until you get up into the 3 Series or go orange.

Maybe look around for a recent used 2025r or 2320 (same tractor) as a starting point.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I hadn't really been considering the 2025r because of PTO hp. Seems like if I was stepping up in physical size from a 1 series I should get more hp so I could run a bigger rotary cutter.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,269 Posts
Just my opinion but if you're like me, the first instinct is usually the right one. Me? I'd go with the 2017 2032r. Small enough to do what you want and big enough to do the bigger stuff too. And has all the drive over and QA. As time goes on and you see all that you want to do, you won't be sorry. The FEL and BH with the MMM is where I would start at. Later you can get a rear mounted mower of your choice for the rougher stuff.

·
Registered
23,059 Posts

Right there in bold. If you are going to be mowing actual lawn area the 1 series would be fine. But when you get into field area and rough power line area you might be sorry. With the small wheels/tires of the 1 series it is going to be very difficult when you encounter hills and dips in the ground. Get something with large tires.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I hadn't really been considering the 2025r because of PTO hp. Seems like if I was stepping up in physical size from a 1 series I should get more hp so I could run a bigger rotary cutter.

The thought of the 2025r would be for the desire for a MMM for finish mowing around a property; a step up from the 1000 series given the overall size of your property.

You aren't going to mow around buildings with a bush hog and you aren't going to mow 4 acres with a lawn tractor. I was trying to find the best compromise based on your setting.

·
Registered
447 Posts
For that much acreage and property management I vote for a 3 Series. You will be doing some forestry work and tackling larger tree trunks you will need the HP and weight to do it effectively. You could invest in a zero turn for your fine greens, but if the ground is stable and doesn't get marshy a 3 Series will just do fine with that as well without rutting up the place.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts

For that much land you need AT LEAST a 4 series. Maybe a 5 series and a z-turn as well. :greentractorride:

Reactions: CADplans

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Check with dealer. We are selling naked 5045e's for 12k right now. Add a loader for sure. Still under 20k easy. Lawn tractor for around house. Lots of good used implements on CL. As well as good used mowers.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 29 Posts