Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Posted about this in the SCUT thread, figured it would be good to start a new thread.

I have a bunch of logs that have been waiting to be split, some for a few years, so are from this year. I have rented a splitter in the past, but don't want to spend $100 to rent one for a day. That means I have to rush to get the job done, and I have way more than just one days worth of logs to split. I have been doing a little research for a splitter for a 3 point hitch. The biggest negative I have seen is that it is going to be slow. And that's OK. Why rush? I am just splitting logs for campfires, etc.
Anyway, stopped in at Tractor Supply on Saturday. They had one sitting outside that looked good to me. It was priced at $649, marked down from $799. Went inside to ask if the $649 price was still accurate, the cashier said nope. Bummer. Then the cashier said that it was actually $449. !! So I brought it home along with a couple 5 ft hydraulic hoses and fittings. Total price out the door was $550, for everything.
Keep in mind, that I barely know how to use my 3 point hitch, and my knowledge of hydraulics is severely lacking. But I had the thing unloaded and hooked up, ready to work in under 2 hours. And that 2 hours included a second trip to TSC for a couple adapters. It helped that it was a floor model that was already assembled (it was missing a couple things, like the 2 bottom hitch pins).
Note that in this pic, the hoses are not yet attached.
AE2F8D79-6C77-4532-BA78-D2B2D5D3EAE5.jpeg
I spent 2 hours yesterday splitting some logs. It is certainly not quick, but it works great. Like I said above, I don't need it to be fast. Just need it to split.
This is a pic of the spec sheet. It’s the only “paperwork” it came with. Had to download the owners manual.
8046908C-7EF2-4183-A28C-72A1A7344336.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
4,892 Posts
That's a score. I think that particular model is discontinued and that would explain the pricing. The model they carry now mounts so that it extends straight out the back of the tractor instead of sideways as your's is. If my TSC had one I'd grab it too!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Nice score for the price.....

However.. I have seen people not happy with that kind of splitter. Mostly because of cycle times. Like the instruction sheet says, cycle time....depends on tractor. Meaning the gallon per minute the hydro pump will have available to run accessories is the thing that results in the cycle time of the splitter.

You can look up what gallon per minute gives a 10-15 second cycle time for a given cylinder size. In the tractor owners manual if it says you only have, for instance, 1/3 that gallon per minute available with the motor running at PTO speed, you will have a longer cylinder cycle time.

I've read where people convert this system to a PTO driven pump with an oil tank. To do this work backwards.. Find the gallon per minute the cylinder requires, find the PTO driven pump that will deliver that volume, the pump will give a PTO horse power requirement to do that pump gallons per minute. If your tractor has the PTO horse power to run the pump you are good to go.

It is all an exercise in finding the info and doing the math to find the pieces you will need to make it work.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice score for the price.....

However.. I have seen people not happy with that kind of splitter. Mostly because of cycle times. Like the instruction sheet says, cycle time....depends on tractor. Meaning the gallon per minute the hydro pump will have available to run accessories is the thing that results in the cycle time of the splitter.

You can look up what gallon per minute gives a 10-15 second cycle time for a given cylinder size. In the tractor owners manual if it says you only have, for instance, 1/3 that gallon per minute available with the motor running at PTO speed, you will have a longer cylinder cycle time.

I've read where people convert this system to a PTO driven pump with an oil tank. To do this work backwards.. Find the gallon per minute the cylinder requires, find the PTO driven pump that will deliver that volume, the pump will give a PTO horse power requirement to do that pump gallons per minute. If your tractor has the PTO horse power to run the pump you are good to go.

It is all an exercise in finding the info and doing the math to find the pieces you will need to make it work.
Yup understand completely. Like I said in my original post, it is not speedy. I realize that my 1025r is a bit undersized for this type of tool. But it works perfect for me. There will almost always be 2 of us working at the same time, chatting, sipping a beer. No rush at all. The wood won't be going anywhere.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Definitely a nice score! I’d like to see a short clip of that splitter in action.:munch:

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Definitely a nice score! I’d like to see a short clip of that splitter in action.:munch:
I’ll try to remember to get a video next time I use it

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Yup understand completely. Like I said in my original post, it is not speedy. I realize that my 1025r is a bit undersized for this type of tool. But it works perfect for me. There will almost always be 2 of us working at the same time, chatting, sipping a beer. No rush at all. The wood won't be going anywhere.
The older and wiser I get, the more I like NOT having an extra engine to take care of. Slow isnt always a bad thing. I dont sell wood, so splitting when I want, at a slow pace, doesnt bother me in the least. It sure beats slinging a sledge or maul around.
Definitely interested if you can get a video. Might just put this on my wish list instead of an engine powered splitter!

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update, and question

So we have used the splitter a bit, and it works great. I have no complaints at all.

In my OP, I noted that this had been sitting outside at TSC for some time. The base/stand has some scratches and gouges that started to rust a little bit. I sanded them down, and now I need to paint it. I’m just going to paint the whole thing, won’t take more than 2 cans of spray paint.

So, what color would you paint it?
Black? OR Deere green?

·
Registered
262 Posts
So we have used the splitter a bit, and it works great. I have no complaints at all.

In my OP, I noted that this had been sitting outside at TSC for some time. The base/stand has some scratches and gouges that started to rust a little bit. I sanded them down, and now I need to paint it. I’m just going to paint the whole thing, won’t take more than 2 cans of spray paint.

So, what color would you paint it?
Black? OR Deere green?
Obviously John Deere green, that will instantly double it's value! :mocking:

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ended up going with JD green. 2 coats and it looks pretty good. Will post a pic later

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ended up going with JD green. 2 coats and it looks pretty good. Will post a pic later
As promised, here is a pic of just the stand. The splitter is out in the shed, over the river and through the snow.
GreenStand.jpg

·
Premium Member
619 Posts
I assume you need to have rear hydraulics (such as for the backhoe) already in order to use this? Or else you'd need to get one with a PTO driven pump.

·
Administrator
17,313 Posts
I assume you need to have rear hydraulics (such as for the backhoe) already in order to use this? Or else you'd need to get one with a PTO driven pump.
Yes, that is correct.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes on rear hydraulics. I have a backhoe, so the kit was already in place.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts