Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw this on another forum - TSC will not carry the Vaspar Restoration paint no more. In it's place will be "Majic Brand" from China. I was in my local TSC Friday, but I forgot to check to see if this is true or not, but it probably is. At least JD is carry paint for anyone who wants to do a tractor restore.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Any idea if Deere has pricing guidelines for the dealers on the paint. I bought a 12 ounce spray can of yellow for quick drying on some rims where the tires go at one dealer and they charged me like $12 for a 12 oz can, like 2 to 3 multiples of tractor supply home depot lowes etc. I bought a quart can of satin black or something like that, not gloss, at a different dealer and it was essentially the same as valspar or rustoleum at the box stores. I have determined that for metric nuts and bolts by the weight the pricing can vary in the 3 times more here than there range.

fran

·
Super Moderator
5,534 Posts
I bought a 12 ounce spray can of yellow for quick drying on some rims where the tires go at one dealer and they charged me like $12 for a 12 oz can, like 2 to 3 multiples of tractor supply home depot lowes etc.

If those are recent JD prices,IMO,that's not bad.
I bought the Ag/C&CE yellow aerosals 2 years ago at a bit over 9.00 a can. TSC's price was around 6.50 for the Valspar.
Personally,I won't squabble over a few dollars difference. You can't compare OEM paint.:)

Greg

·
Administrator
17,944 Posts
I used that Valspar paint once on a implement I made, it did not hold up well outside. I painted my lathe with the truck/tractor paint and it has help up well.

If its true, shame on TSC though. My local one is turning into a junk store unfortunately.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
This is why I shop at Fleet Farm. We have a TSC, they suck compared to Fleet Farm.

·
Super Moderator
2,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Unfortunately, Fleet Farm, Rural King, etc. aren't in every area - certainly not in mine. We have TSC, Dickie Bubs, and a couple of other places that mainly just local.

·
Registered
11,882 Posts
I saw this on another forum - TSC will not carry the Vaspar Restoration paint no more. In it's place will be "Majic Brand" from China. I was in my local TSC Friday, but I forgot to check to see if this is true or not, but it probably is. At least JD is carry paint for anyone who wants to do a tractor restore.
I found the same thing at the local TSC store. I don't have a lot of choice; the dealer is 25 miles away as is Walmart. I need to take the trip and stock up. I also agree that TSC is turning into a junk store. Customer service was good when the store opened a couple years ago, but has gone downhill considerably.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
When TSC first arrived in my area back in the 1990's, the quality on things appeared to be much better than it is now. I agree as well about the stores becoming junk stores. Been shopping there less and less.

When I worked at a Case dealer, I was told that their paint was made by Valspar. Don't know about that now.

The JD paint usually costs me more, but it does hold up better than anything I bought from TSC.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
In fact, if your local JD dealer has a parts guy thats on his A game, JD sells all colors of paint in all types and quanities. All with the JD name on em. Most all JD labeled paint in Valspar. IH Red, Ford Blue, Orange. All there.

·
Registered
53 Posts
The Majic paint is actually US made - that being said, it's not great. I tried out some recently and found it very slow to dry and not very robust.

With all the time it takes to prep for a proper paint job, the additional cost of the JD paint is worth it. It's still way cheaper than any auto paint.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Never tried the Majic paint glad I have not had too. I work for a John Dealer that is in two states. Its pretty cool as between the stores different stores can carry different stuff because of different but not so cool or practical laws for that matter. As mentioned earlier in this post a good parts guy can get you allot more then just John Deere AG Green. Interesting thing is EPA won't allow quart or gallon paint in one state but does allow the spray bombs. So basically your not allowed in to use an efficient paint gun but you can use a rattle can. Just another classic example of our all book smart no common sense leaders.
Michael

·
Registered
429 Posts
Yeah, Valspar is gone from my TSC. I use Ace Hardware paint for touch ups now. They also sell it in quarts and gallons for implements. 90% of the stuff in TSC is made in China. You walk into my store and all you see is Chinese junk. I am glad we have them though as I can't find a lot of stuff in other stores I need. My list of stuff I buy at TSC.
Fence wire
Assorted bolts as they sell by the pound.
Fence staples
Corn for my turkeys and deer
Baling twine
Cattle wormer

That is about it.

It is funny how they hire people who know absolutely nothing about farming, ranching, or equipment. Many times I have been in the store and the employee's send their customers over to me to answer questions for them. lol

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
I've never used Valspar but did purchase a couple cans of the Majic Paint. I was impressed, it seemed to work well considering it was a rattle can.

As for Tractor Supply, their quality does seem to be diminishing quickly.

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
Has anyone had good luck with the Rustoleum paint in JD green?
The Rustoleum JD Green is good paint, But, if exposed to the sun, it will not hold true to color over time! I use it underneath & in non-exposed areas & on things that don't have to match completely. ~~ Lowell

·
Registered
346 Posts
The Rustoleum JD Green is good paint, But, if exposed to the sun, it will not hold true to color over time! I use it underneath & in non-exposed areas & on things that don't have to match completely. ~~ Lowell
Same thing with Majic, my PHD looked good for a while but a year later it's turned to an ugly dark green. I would have thought it would get lighter from the sun, but it actually got darker.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts