Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TTWT and other interested followers have had information about the rear remotes and adding hydraulics to items. I have just engineered a cylinder and have posted photos, however I am offering this post in hopes that suppliers and other vendors might also look into using the backhoe boom loop cylinder. In my instance I wanted to use a different cylinder but the main supplier was out of stock. They called today and said they'd have the one I really wanted at the end of the month. I took a cross attach model and cut the end and rotated it 90 degrees. The pin to pin needed was 17" and I had to cut the rod end off 1" to make it fit. This paticular cylinder had the inlets at the ends and it was a little tight but I managed clearance. After getting it in place it worked liked a charm. My control is on left side so no problem in using the handle and the joy stick. I did note that the orange tractor had a foot pedal for the cylinder and I could also engineer one of those but you know the deck space on the back hoe is a little tight for foot work. I wondered if BXpanded might pick up on the cylinder deal and have one with their thumb. My post is in hopes they see this also. I can absolutely tell you when you open up the jaw plus the bucket you have a mouth full of range to grab something. It even impressed me with the action. I'm at the age where lifting somewhat limited or non existence and if I can get this tractor in range "no problem". It's like a brother to the front end grapple and equally valuable. TTWT and KennyD, if you can put a bug in those engineers ears I know that many, many of the members will benefit with a cylinder such as this.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Adding some more specifics on the thumb. The cylinder I initially wanted is called a tang cylinder and the barrel end hole mount relieves the distance on the inlet at the rear and the inlets are on the side. Also decided on an 8" stroke which makes the pin hole 25" which is fine. My reach is 10" but I don't think one needs this much as you have the rotation of the bucket. The only thing on the tang cylinder is the attaching is 1.25" and I planned on welding 3/4" bushing to that. I would think without the weld it would put more strain on the center of the pin rather than transferring to the outside. What I have works great however may still try the tang. I know this information may not be relevant to some but if you are considering the hydraulic thumb you might want to review. Like I said I'm totally surprised that XPanded hasn't already offered this option and may send this data. If you have the hydraulics it sure saves the problem of the sliding boom.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Was your cost less than the factory deere thumb? It's around $1300 +-

I know the bx thumb is about $370 right now.

·
Premium Member
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The cylinder cost $120 plus hose and fitting about $130 so about $250 but I did the welding a design work. With a tang cylinder there wouldn't have been but minimum welding/work. I've got the BX adjusting rod for sale if someone interested. I did this less than 1/2 of Deere.

·
Premium Member
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I sent these photos to BXpanded, as I'm not in the manufacturing process and not selling products for anyone but wanted a design that would work for my interest and why not pass it along. I am really shocked that this was not already offered on a clean setup.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Very nice design and construction. This is a very useful addition that I could many uses for.

·
Premium Member
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jep: Tks for compliment...my posts were not meant to self stroke any ego...just laying out a design, spend 6-8 hrs. working on that cylinder to get it to work. John Deere put that mounting lip on their boom and then stopped short of having a good design. I'm sure they could have had their own modified version of the thumb. Maybe they are afraid of the liability with hydraulics on their sub-compacts as I don't understand their shortcomings. The small tractors manuverability is the key to it's success and the thumb just doubles the advantage from the rear unit. In actuality the thumb does not even have to be as sturdy as the Bxpanded as theirs is over built. The hyradulics on this tractor is not going to overpower the steel. Just sharing with others on this and wish you the best.

·
Premium Member
651 Posts
Hi Machineryman,
Sorry if I'm repeating myself from the other post, but could you provide a basic parts list for your design? I am totally impressed and want to do the same to my BXpanded thumb.

·
Premium Member
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
1.5x10 magister cross end cylinder. Cut the barrel cross end and rotated. Added about 1/2" steel spacer so it would clear the side tang of the boom. But I believe you could just use a 1/5x8" tang cylinder and just some bushings to center. 1/4" hose and 90 fittings. Then some weld on blocks. 1/4" hose with sleeve back down the boom and underneath the hoe up to the control valve.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts