Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alot has been mentioned recently about various model JD's using Various TuffTorque Transmissions....I'm a "bigger tractor guy" so I dont know about these...
exactly what are the differences in these models and why are some better...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well I can tell you what I know.Did a little research on these tractorsand this is it.Everything down from the Deere x 300 has the k46 transaxle.It's an ok axle but not great for lugging on inclines or for pulling.As far as i can tell the x320 and up uses the k58 axle .This axle is said to be stronger .Better for lugging and pulling will not heat as the k46.Is said to be 20-30% more torque than k46. Also the x320 and up are a heavier build tractor all around.And also the price is about double and up compared to the L series at around $2000.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
I am by no means an expert, but have read that the K46 isn't serviceable where the K58 is.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well Deere calls it not servicable but I just did mine.I pulled it out of the tractor and dumped the oil. You have to turn it upside down . while it was out I also changed the fan that cools the transaxle. It was shaved down probably from some trash jammed at one time? After seeing this I assume that is why the axle would heat and lose power.I reinstalled the fan and transaxle with new oil It now pulls well on it's own and also pulls 2 swisher 60" finecut mowers with no problem I pull one on either side of the 48" Deere L 120 .All is well. By the way it takes maybe 15 minutes to dismantle.Once the oil is back in reinstall.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
You are correct, I was talking about Deere's definition. I myself have fixed things that weren't meant to be fixed by the manufacturer's definition. Good job you will get some more work out of the unit.

·
Registered
1 Posts
New member here. I own a 2007 LA140. It has less than 100 hours on it and the tranny is JUNK! Very disapointed with it. I've done allot of reading on the issue. The tranny is serviceable but it's not an easy job. As others have said, it does not do well with hills and heat. It takes me about 1:15 to mow my place and that doesn't incluse the 10-15 minute break I take to let the tranny cool. During that time I let the garden hose soak the tranny to help it cool. This Spring I'm going to have to at least try to get the tranny fluid changed. I might go all the way and fix it according to the directions from this blog I found.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/parts-repairs/164892-tufftorq-k46-repair-guide-pictures.html

1 - 7 of 7 Posts