Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I only just realized that in my JD 7130 6 cylinder version which has a turbo that the turbo no longer does the high pitched whistle that is so common with turbos and is usually a tell tale that an engine has a turbo. It used to be really obvious even just driving along no under much load, like not more than any other turbocharged tractor just what you would expect and now I hear nothing and I know I can still hear well above that frequency because well I am 23 and have good hearing. No clue how long it has stopped making this sound and really I am no idea if this means anything about the turbo or if it just does not whistle as loud when it gets older? 2500 hours now on that engine which is not that much but still. I know the turbo is still spinning or at least part of it because I can hear it wind down when I turn off the tractor, I had the hood up checking fluids and I listened next to it and it is spinning for sure or at least the drive side is spinning for sure. But the tell tale whistle I am used to in a turbo charger is no longer there, does it mean anything or nothing? Also in my other post I asked about a flashing light and it is gone now, turns out the radiator was down a bit and there may have been some water in the fuel filter, I checked it all over and the light is gone so yay!.

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
The first question I would have, does it still have the same HP? Without the turbo, it should be down considerably on HP. If HP is still as it should be, I would not worry about it.

Dave

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Except for in one task it has always been well sized for the job, chisel plowing which in our land is what we do instead of a spring tooth harrow, it is a modiifed chisel plow and it pulls hard. Plus hauling heavy loads up hills. Literally it could have been doing it last week and not now I never listen outside it much so I just happened to notice it today. If the air filter was restricted would that change anything? also well it would be hard to tell if it went down overtime, if it had lost some it is really hard to tell because all these tasks are variable. If it was down like....5-8hp I would not be horribly surprised but If it was running at full hp I would not be surpized either, I have only just started the heavy work for this season so over time I will be able to tell more. Now I only listened to the turbo under no load as it would be kinda hard to plow and stand outside to listen to the turbo so maybe it still would under heavy load? Idk I just like to make sure everything is running properly because issues tend to get worse not better and finding them early is good, I don't have like a boost gauge or any idea how to use one so I can't test it that way. I can tell you that the exhaust smoke is still exactly the same as it always was.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Put it under load, then report back. Once it's building boost, loaded up, I bet it sings nicely.

Reactions: PJR832

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hopefully, it used to sing just driving along the road at a decent rev and oh my hearing is fine, I know this well because my dad is half deaf so when something makes a high pitched squeal It drives me nuts and he does not hear it. Like our toaster always puts out a dog whistle like tone and it drives me crazy. My hearing is very good, I'll have to keep the door open for a bit next time I chisel and see if I hear it.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was working in the same field with someone else and I got them to check and it's only faint but you can hear it under load. Air filters due to be replaced so that may not help.

·
Super Moderator
5,377 Posts
Maybe it just forgot the tune? :lol:

Reactions: eyeboltman

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Could be air filter for 2 reasons.
1) if it's plugged the engine may not be getting the airflow it needs to produce full boost
2) it ingested something that damaged/dusted the fins of the turbo, thus reducing whistle

The whistle is caused by the driven (intake) side of the turbo.
I've had 2 turbos and 4 different compressor wheels on my pickup (01 7.3L). Stock was quiet (duh), aftermarket wheel added whistle and boost pressure across the map.
New turbo (GTP38R) whistled ALL THE TIME, even at high idle. Caused a drone at cruising speeds, especially when towing, so I swapped wheels again.
Aftermarket wheel is a bit quieter, and increased boost pressures slightly.

On a pickup, the biggest difference in turbo noise is going from a sealed to an open air intake, as that is where most of the heard turbo whistle comes from.

Reactions: PJR832

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Air filter could be plugged yea, it and the other 2 turbo tractors we have sing loud starting at mid rev but not at flat idle. That would be annoying I would think Haha. I never heard of a turbo being always silent though, that's interesting to know. Did that one work ok?

·
Registered
10,513 Posts
Wouldn’t it smoke like heck if the turbo wasn’t working?

Reactions: CADplans

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Wouldn’t it smoke like heck if the turbo wasn’t working?
I was mowing my daughters lawn today,, (it has some REAL steep spots)
and I thought the exact thing about the turbo on my 4105,,

I was always told the injection pump needed readjusted if a turbo was added,, I assumed that meant the amount of fuel would be increased,,

If the engine is not running a stoichiometric mix of fuel and air,, either fuel is being wasted, or excess air is needlessly being heated,,

I kinda figured the turbo on the 4105 was fine because I had no smoke when going up the steep hills,,
Actually, that engine never smokes, except for a very little puff at startup,,

Hmmmmmmmm,,,,,,,, :dunno:

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
I was mowing my daughters lawn today,, (it has some REAL steep spots)
and I thought the exact thing about the turbo on my 4105,,

I was always told the injection pump needed readjusted if a turbo was added,, I assumed that meant the amount of fuel would be increased,,

If the engine is not running a stoichiometric mix of fuel and air,, either fuel is being wasted, or excess air is needlessly being heated,,

I kinda figured the turbo on the 4105 was fine because I had no smoke when going up the steep hills,,
Actually, that engine never smokes, except for a very little puff at startup,,

Hmmmmmmmm,,,,,,,, :dunno:
Diesels are hardly ever running stoichiometrically. There is normally an over abundance of air, but it would be stoichiometric by accident every once in awhile:laugh:
You would definitely know it if the turbo on your 4105 wasn't working!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
See the newer engines are so full of controls and sensors that if the air was lacking the fuel would likely be reduced. Thus no noticable smoke or obvious issues.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts