Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 305 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Mike duwe did it successfully, meaning body work intact and hundreds of hours of runtime on a 332 many years ago. Search WFM for details. There is a lot more room to work with on a one series so should be possible and might even open up possibility of using a CAC.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
There's 2 755's on Tratorhouse, with aftermarket turbos on them.

Do you gain any PTO HP, or is it all engine?

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
This is gonna be pretty neat. Bring it on!!

·
Registered
301 Posts
Is the tractor lacking power to begin with? Pto power should move pretty linearly with engine hp for the guy asking. So yea if you're needing pto hp this would be the way to get it. Usually traction is the limiting factor in these smaller tractors.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
I can see more rear PTO HP giving me the ability to run a bigger wood chipper, and maybe more torque for the PHD, and being able to pull a bigger load like a wider box blade and such, and maybe pushing more snow. Can't see it doing something like increaseg the spreading width for my PTO driven fertilizer spreader, since the rear PTO RPM would still be 540, or am I wrong?

Being pretty unschooled in hydraulics, will the increase in engine HP translate to any increased FEL and 3-point lifting capacities?

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
Will there be a 5% discount code available?
Ummm. It is called buy a bigger tractor. Putting a turbo on an engine without being able to regulate fuel based on boost is a massive waste of time. Silly dreaming.

Everything is based on horsepower on each tractor. Without putting a bigger pump, more heavy duty transaxle, heavier frame etc, the added horsepower is simply fluff.

This would be akin to putting a 454 CI engine in a Vega without strengthening anything else. Get a tape recorder with turbo sounds. You will get your enjoyment.

Buy a bigger tractor. 2 series turbo.

john Deere 1025R
loader
backhoe
47 in tiller
47 blower
5ft landscape rake
10 KW pto generator
Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
91 Posts
Ummm. It is called buy a bigger tractor. Putting a turbo on an engine without being able to regulate fuel based on boost is a massive waste of time. Silly dreaming.

Everything is based on horsepower on each tractor. Without putting a bigger pump, more heavy duty transaxle, heavier frame etc, the added horsepower is simply fluff.

This would be akin to putting a 454 CI engine in a Vega without strengthening anything else. Get a tape recorder with turbo sounds. You will get your enjoyment.

Buy a bigger tractor. 2 series turbo.

john Deere 1025R
loader
backhoe
47 in tiller
47 blower
5ft landscape rake
10 KW pto generator
A lot of fun stuff is objectively a waste of time. In fact, the best hobbies are the ones that purely involve turning money into noise. 😁

·
Registered
2015 2025r 62mmm h130 af10f plow forks 62 disc ripper and a woods m5 Dixie mower
1,213 Posts
Ok it’s cool and might work but IMO not very useful or helpful to the tractor for most people and I don’t feel like the piston rings will hold up to the increased pressure from the turbo over time

·
Registered
605 Posts
Putting a turbo on an engine without being able to regulate fuel based on boost is a massive waste of time. Silly dreaming.
A lot of fun stuff is objectively a waste of time. In fact, the best hobbies are the ones that purely involve turning money into noise. 😁
Agreed on both counts!

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
Ok it’s cool and might work but IMO not very useful or helpful to the tractor for most people and I don’t feel like the piston rings will hold up to the increased pressure from the turbo over time
Probably be OK, but without someway to successfully harvest the increase in power, what is the point?

john Deere 1025R
loader
backhoe
47 in tiller
47 blower
5ft landscape rake
10 KW pto generator

·
Premium Member
4,978 Posts
Not like it's gonna be running 30 psi of boost or anything close. I think the rings will be just fine.

·
Premium Member
2020 1025R, 120R, 54D
4,233 Posts
FWIW, Yanmar has a marine version of the 1025R engine that is turbocharged. All of the engineering has already been done.

·
Premium Member
3,854 Posts
I can see more rear PTO HP giving me the ability to run a bigger wood chipper, and maybe more torque for the PHD, and being able to pull a bigger load like a wider box blade and such, and maybe pushing more snow. Can't see it doing something like increaseg the spreading width for my PTO driven fertilizer spreader, since the rear PTO RPM would still be 540, or am I wrong?

Being pretty unschooled in hydraulics, will the increase in engine HP translate to any increased FEL and 3-point lifting capacities?
You're correct- It'll give more muscle to a PHD and wood chipper. To accurately answer the spreader question - unfortunately it's not that simple. If the load on the spreader (material being spread & parasitic drivetrain loss) is enough to slow the spreader rpm down, then yes, it'll potentially have the power needed to maintain the rpm that is lost, creating more spreading power... However if the spreader is currently (stock) running at PTO 540, and no matter what quantity of material being broadcast doesn't change this, no, the additional power won't increase the spread.

Hydraulics on a 1R are really limited more by the PRV (pressure relief valve). Pressure = muscle & flow = speed. Not modifying the PRV setting (1Rs are usually around 2100PSI) will not make them lift more. The RPMs on the motor aren't going to increase with this change, nor is the volume of them steering/implement hydraulic pump (currently), so this won't improve that.

This increase in power will improve performance when the motor is getting pulled down by load. For example, when I mow with MCS on - even in L, with the 60DMMM running, I'll lose several hundred engine RPM (exceeding available HP) going up my septic sand mound. This addition would likely add the needed power to minimize if not eliminate any RPM loss from this. Keep in mind, this is trying to drive a ~3300lb tractor up a 35-40° slope while still using PTO power to run the deck. If the deck is using 15HP, that leaves ~9HP to drive the tractor (numbers estimated- actual division of load values unknown). Lets assume this turbo adds 10HP to the engine - Same situation: The PTO still gets its 15HP and now the drive gets 19HP to get up the hill, which it might only need 15HP to get up the hill. 😁

·
Registered
132 Posts
For fun? Sure, fill your boots.

Practical? Not in the least.

The drive is hydro-static, so when it comes to powering the wheels all the engine does is run the pump. Extra HP there is meaningless unless it was already under powered.

Same with the PTO drives. If they weren't bogging the engine under load before a turbo install, more HP is just more fuel burned....

1 - 20 of 305 Posts