Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whatcha cooking on turkey day?
We're thinking of doing another Prime Rib instead of turkey this year.

·
Administrator
17,300 Posts
Are me a Don invited this time?:laugh:

I am not a turkey eater myself, we have the big dinner here with all of my wife's LARGE family, there is always a large ham cooked as well as a turkey so thats what I eat.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Same here Kenny. I am not a turkey fan either and have always cooked a ham for my self, I have also been known to share it.

·
Administrator
20,363 Posts
Gizmo sharing? What gives? I wonder if the world is going to end soon or something...

·
Registered
11,407 Posts
Well, Giz, I ain't cooking anything. However, my wife will probably cook turkey for my daughter, son-in-law and grandson and grand daughter. My preference is beef, but I will suck it up for one day. I'm sure that the grandson will think of something to do with the 2320.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gizmo sharing? What gives? I wonder if the world is going to end soon or something...
In reality I'm really a nice guy! Just need to keep my guard up with you yahoos.

Well, Giz, I ain't cooking anything. However, my wife will probably cook turkey for my daughter, son-in-law and grandson and grand daughter. My preference is beef, but I will suck it up for one day. I'm sure that the grandson will think of something to do with the 2320.
All about family day.......and food.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
well....I just found out my sons wife's brother and his boyfriend will be here......arrgghh.

I will be outside watching the smoker....all day. I think turkey and ham does not go well with froot loops.

·
Premium Member
7,325 Posts
While the wife is with her family; I'll enjoy the peace and quiet of having the house to myself with a big bag of Orville Redenbacher popcorn.

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
I don't like turkey that much either but Thanksgiving is the day I eat it. I'm usually not trusted with the main course. Haven't figured out what I'll cook yet, probably mashed potatoes. I'll have to post that recipe because it's really good. Look for it later today / tonight.

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
well....I just found out my sons wife's brother and his boyfriend will be here......arrgghh.

I will be outside watching the smoker....all day. I think turkey and ham does not go well with froot loops.
That made me laugh but I feel your pain / disgust. Similar thing happened at our dinner several years ago and the food just doesn't taste the same for some reason.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I like Froot Loops! But then again I think dieselshadow is ok.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
We're gonna eat turkey as usual. Pretty much the only day we eat it. We always do Thankgiving at our house and Xmas at my brothers.........usually cook a big ham then. I've been lucky the past 2 years and had both holidays off.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
We're experimenting this year. We heard a lot of good things about an oiless turkey fryer, so we finally bought one. But we didn't think enough ahead to try it out before we have family coming over, so we bought 2 small 12 lb turkeys. One for the oiless fryer and the other we're cooking the traditional way in the oven. We also heard that fried turkey is very good, but I didn't want the hassle of dealing with a lot of cooking oil for just 1 or 2 meals. And we always hear about turkey fryer fires, so it'll be something much safer, but different this year.

We happen to like turkey, especially the dark meat. And we like to make soup afterwards. And with the kids coming over, there'll be plenty of leftovers to send with them.

Now I'll pose a question to all the turkey cooks here, to brine or not to brine?

Happy Turkey Day to all!

·
Administrator
20,363 Posts
Definitely brine! Make sure to rinse well before drying and prep to fry though. If you don't, it'll be a tad salty.

Brining has a tremendous effect on how juicy and flavorful on poultry. :thumbup1gif:

Sent using Tapatalk.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Brine a turkey??? Really? Never thought about it.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I'm guessing "brine the turkey" means salting it? Could someone explain the procedure?

Also....I just found out we are headed down to the Texas Hill Country,Bandera/Medina/Leakey area for Thanksgiving. We have a cabin rented right next to the Frio river:good2::good2: We will be exercising /wheeling our new Jeep,playing dominoes,cards,game called Aggravation at night,fishing,etc.! I'm so excited....no dealing with the froot loops!!!!! I will be sure to post pics for your entertainment....that is,if I can figure out how to do it in Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,407 Posts
I'm guessing "brine the turkey" means salting it? Could someone explain the procedure?

Also....I just found out we are headed down to the Texas Hill Country,Bandera/Medina/Leakey area for Thanksgiving. We have a cabin rented right next to the Frio river:good2::good2: We will be exercising /wheeling our new Jeep,playing dominoes,cards,game called aggravation at night,fishing,etc.! I'm so excited....no dealing with the froot loops!!!!! I will be sure to post pics for your entertainment....that is,if I can figure out how to do it in Tapatalk
New Wrangler - tons of $
Rented cabin on the river - a lot of $
Playing Aggravation over the holiday - priceless

Haven't played it in years, but it sure is fun.
Enjoy the holiday.

Don

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts

Also....I just found out we are headed down to the Texas Hill Country,Bandera/Medina/Leakey area for Thanksgiving. We have a cabin rented right next to the Frio river:good2::good2: We will be exercising /wheeling our new Jeep,playing dominoes,cards,game called Aggravation at night,fishing,etc.! I'm so excited....no dealing with the froot loops!!!!! I will be sure to post pics for your entertainment....that is,if I can figure out how to do it in Tapatalk
Thats a dream thanksgiving to me. Please share the pictures with us.

Sent via TapaTalk from a hunting blind near you. :)

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Did rgd just call all of us "froot loops"?
Even if he did I wish I was going with him. That's the kind of guy I am, "forgive and forget"

·
Administrator
20,363 Posts
Here's the turkey recipe I used last year. It includes the brining instructions. Very very good.:thumbup1gif: I did need to do a better job rinsing it after the brine though.:lol:

Brining isn't like super salty water like sea water. It's like a marinade with salt and other extra goodies. It takes a few days for the best results.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts