Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I needed to add some ballast for doing loader/grapple work. I had an old Otis elevator gear case and some scrap metal so I decided to put it to use. Had a couple of objectives beside needing the ballast. I wanted to use up some scrap and do as little cutting as possible. As it turned out about half the project was done with steel in it's existing length. This leaves room behind the actual weight to either add a bottom for carrying stuff or adding more weight. About halfway in my old band saw threw in the towel so I had to finish what cutting needed doing with my cordless reciprocal saw.

Here is the old gear case I used.

This is the pile of scrap I pulled out of the shed. I used the old receiver hitch for the rear in case I ever want to hook a trailer to it.

This is the finished framework.

I set the whole thing up on some 4 to 1 frames on scales to weigh as I filled the case with nuts, bolts, and scrap. I topped it off by nestling some large heavy parts in so they couldn't come out and finally bolted an old flywheel on top of one side. Ended up at 764 lbs.

Not sure if the rear area will become a carryall or end up with more weight. Per the loader manual I need about this much weight in addition to 6 wheel weights. Not pretty but functional.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
So, when are you gonna scrounge all the tire shops,, and fill the casting full of lead?? :dunno:

It looks great the way it is!! :good2:

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, when are you gonna scrounge all the tire shops,, and fill the casting full of lead?? :dunno:

It looks great the way it is!! :good2:
It has two 35 lb bricks in it. I have a bunch more in the shed but most of it is burried. May dig it out and rig up a melting pot one day.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts