Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I have a nice LED Samsung TV. I got a Samsung soundbar for it a couple of years ago because I was told it would help with sound quality. I know some of you are good with tech. stuff and I have been trying to absorb what I can reading various things on the net. The things that really bug me about the sound is on some football games or other things with background noise, you can hardly hear the commentators. You have to turn it up to hear them and all you do is turn the crowd noise up too. Trying to watch one yesterday that it got to be ridiculous because of the sound quality or lack thereof. It seems I notice this sound issue anytime there is sound in the background. If it is just a news program without music or different sounds in the background, it is OK. I have also noticed that in watching some movies, etc., the volume seems to increase or decrease depending on the background noise. It can get to where you are constantly using the volume control up and down. Gets a little frustrating. Is there a system out there that you might suggest to get me much better sound than what we have now? I have read where 5.1 would be an improvement of what I have and that a separate receiver would also be a help. Thanks for the help.

·
Super Moderator
4,890 Posts
I get the same thing with my system. The center channel (which all the announcers voices are tied to) fades to almost zero sound while the left/right front channels overwhelm whatever does come out of the center channel.

Two things help but don't completely fix the problem. The first is to check your system's audio settings and select "Sports" if it available. The second is to switch your system audio feed from "HDMI" to "Dolby".

It's a frustrating problem.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
They do that on surround systems with 5.1 speakers. It's cool there, but the soundbars try to mimic that and it ends up washing out. With 5.1 the rears are usually crowd and the fronts are play calling and some field sounds. Can you change the stereo modes on your tv/sound bar? In the menu there should be a speaker icon.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They do that on surround systems with 5.1 speakers. It's cool there, but the soundbars try to mimic that and it ends up washing out. With 5.1 the rears are usually crowd and the fronts are play calling and some field sounds. Can you change the stereo modes on your tv/sound bar? In the menu there should be a speaker icon.

Yes, I can change it on my remote for the soundbar to different things like "sports" and it does help but sure doesn't cure the problem.. I have also been into the tv sound settings and they already are on Dolby or whatever it is.
So are you saying that the ones with the actual surround sound 5.1 speakers would be better? Anyone have a system them like? Sometimes I think I could hear the announcers better if I would disconnect the soundbar and just have it on the tv speakers.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,106 Posts
Sony surround sound and don't look back. IMO. Our unit is many, many years old and still works really well.
Recently we bought a Bose- CineMate GS Series II Digital Home Theater Speaker System for our den TV, I personally think the thing is junk. Used it for about a month and took it out. I'd give it away now.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sony surround sound and don't look back. IMO. Our unit is many, many years old and still works really well.
Recently we bought a Bose- CineMate GS Series II Digital Home Theater Speaker System for our den TV, I personally think the thing is junk. Used it for about a month and took it out. I'd give it away now.
Do you know which model you have in the Sony? I know a place that is closing out and they specialize in Sony stuff. I need to get over there!

·
Registered
892 Posts
I'll pay for shipping. Just sayin'

:)

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,106 Posts
Do you know which model you have in the Sony? I know a place that is closing out and they specialize in Sony stuff. I need to get over there!
Not off the top of my head but I am sure it's not made any more, it was MANY years ago.
I will say a 300 watt system should do you fine. I see no need for the 500 + watt systems for home use.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Yes, I can change it on my remote for the soundbar to different things like "sports" and it does help but sure doesn't cure the problem.. I have also been into the tv sound settings and they already are on Dolby or whatever it is.
So are you saying that the ones with the actual surround sound 5.1 speakers would be better? Anyone have a system them like? Sometimes I think I could hear the announcers better if I would disconnect the soundbar and just have it on the tv speakers.
5.1 would have more seperation of the channels. The rear speakers will most likely have the "Crowd" noise. You can adjust the speakers down so it wouldn't be so loud. I believe sound bars are designed to try and project the rear sound off the walls giving you some allusion of surround.

Depending on your needs they do offer those box systems that have all 5.1 speakers and a controller. Often times it's also a Blueray player.

·
Registered
892 Posts

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
In my experience, even a cheaper 5.1 surround system is head over heels better than any sound bar. Granted, I do realize that some do not like the idea of all of those speakers and wire, but now you can pick up wireless speakers for the rear (bluetooth), and they actually work pretty well. Just have to take a bit more time setting up your time delays.

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
I had a similar problem with my Bell Expressvu dish. When I started using the HD channels it resolved it.

I've heard (no experience) that the sound bars that do an auto setup with mic(s) in the room really reproduce the surround well. I think Yamaha and Boston Acoustics were the first of those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
I'm with Gizmo on this, except I wouldn't let him give me the Bose system.

I have an older Sony 5.1 system also. It's a 500 watt. I've never found a need to turn it up that loud. As long as Troy Ackman or Chris Collinworth aren't doing color I turn up the center speaker. I wired it all in when I finished my basement. My whole house audio system is also a Sony.

My neighbor put in a Bose 5.1 system when he built his house. It had little adjustment and never sounded correct to me. When he finished his basement he put in a nice 5.1 system and it is awesome compared to the Bose.

Mike

·
Registered
892 Posts
I won't let him give it to me either. Was just playing along... :)

Jim

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
I won't let him give it to me either. Was just playing along... :)

Jim
It would take less than a quarter of a football game for you to realize he really hated you. No one would give one of those to someone they liked.:lol:

·
Registered
892 Posts
Hahahahaha. Then hopefully he wasn't really going to give it away. For my sake..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts