Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
21,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made the mistake of walking through the TV section at Wal-Mart yesterday. Was just cutting through until something caught my eye. Then I was like when "Ma & Pa" go to town and stood there staring at a 55" 4K TV likely with my mouth open.

I think because of my photography hobby most of my life I am really critical about sharp images. I would never settle for consumer grade lenses - only the professional grade ($$$) would satisfy my eye for an image. So this super sharp image with super contrast really struck me.

Now for the good part - I have analog cable. But I am enjoying more and more Netflix shows on my 1080p 40" set in HD (1080p feed from Netflix). I only watch regular TV shows (through my analog cable) after being recorded on my Tivo since I just can't tolerate all the commercials.

When looking at the feature list on the Samsung TV I was drooling at, I noticed the word "upsampling". After doing some research this morning I see what this upsampling does - takes a less than 4k input and upscales it to a 4k image on the screen. Now I am interested......

Of course I can find no information about upsampling an analog signal. Kind of funny - when I talk about stuff like this on a Tivo forum nobody believes me that I have analog cable - they say that it is impossible - maybe illegal....?

I really would like that 4k look that I saw at the store. But I know in the store they probably feed those sample TVs with a 4k feed video to make people like me drool over them.

Because of my condition I find myself watching more TV than I ever did - it is a good distraction for me. So I wouldn't be beyond getting DirecTV if I would need to feed a 4k TV like this. But still don't know if the upsampling will work as advertised.

And one of my biggest concerns when thinking about upgrading (one part of my justification process) - what am I supposed to do with my old TV? It's 2 years old and works perfectly. But the technology has sped past what I have and am sure there is no market for a used 40" HD TV.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Yeah, went through the enlightenment last year. You have no idea how fantastic it is until you actually look at one.

TV Upgrade

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
Having worked for Best Buy for 12 years i have seen it all. I have a house full of dead formats, everything from pioneer laser dics to RCA CED disc to 8mm video to super beta hifi. This past summer i finally cleaned out the basement and took a 16ft trailer full to the electronic recycler. 12 tvs including a 55" toshiba, 35" glass tube mitsubishi, several Sony wegas, 63' samsung DLP. I bought my first vcr for 'Who Shot J.R?" 1200$ one event recorder. The new SUHD 4K tvs are very nice and intreaging, But i have been through the format wars and seen upscale products never get their due because of lack of content. the beta system was better than VHS but lost out on content. if you are looking for a home for your 40HD i recommend the bedroom or even the Garage/workshop. I understand we all want the upgraded TV sets :bigthumb::bigthumb:

·
Registered
21,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I really don't need to be sold on the 4k TV part - though I was when Randy had his thread that he linked to. Times change....when I was still working I never watched TV and had balked about even since I've been stuck home now.

How fast the TV technology is progressing remimds me of some years back with the PC processor wars - they were becoming so much faster at such a fast rate your PC was just about obsolete by the time you took it out of the box. But the PCs have seemed to hit their limit as far as usable speed for the typical homeowner.

The 4k TV is a bit ahead of its time to me since you can't get a 4k feed for it (well I can't anyway). That is why I thought they were riduculous - buying a 4k TV that you can only feed with a 1080p signal. But then I read about the upsampling....

Thinking about the basics - I don't see this upsampling to work on an analog signal. So right off the bat I would have to accept (choke down) the cost of digital cable or DirecTV. I just looked at the price of DirecTV for their smallest package. $50 per month for 1 year them $81 per month for year 2 with a 2 year contract. That about stops me right there. Not only the price - but I have this huge personal issue with having to pay a company so they can feed me all those idiotic commercials/ads. But that is why I employ a DVR.

So looking at numbers - a 50" 4k TV is ~$650. A 2 year DirecTV contract is $1572. That totals $2222 for 2 years of TV of which the TV would likely need upgraded again. Spread out for those 24 months is $92.58 per month - quite a bit beyond what I want to spend.

And I don't want TVs througout my house - anyone that gets upgraded goes out to the barn loft where it will eventually get chopped up and put out for the trash man (no recycling around here).

I'll have to think on this - try to get beyond my issues with paying for commercial TV service (with ads) is the worst part for me.

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Coaltrain, 40" computer monitor.:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
On the other hand,,, what exactly could you spend $3.50 a day on for entertainment that suits YOU!!?? :dunno:

We gave up the argument about 5 years ago, bought 2 HD fifty some inch TV's,
connected to Dish Network, and the ROKU's (yes, we have two of those,,, too)

Dish Network gives us the DVR,,, and even a LOT of commercial "Auto Hop" capability.

The show just plays, and jumps the commercials by itself,,, no button pushing.

Enjoy whatever you decide upon!! :good2:

·
Registered
21,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On the other hand,,, what exactly could you spend $3.50 a day on for entertainment that suits YOU!!?? :dunno:

We gave up the argument about 5 years ago, bought 2 HD fifty some inch TV's,
connected to Dish Network, and the ROKU's (yes, we have two of those,,, too)

Dish Network gives us the DVR,,, and even a LOT of commercial "Auto Hop" capability.

The show just plays, and jumps the commercials by itself,,, no button pushing.

Enjoy whatever you decide upon!! :good2:
Oh - you just gave me a big incentive I think. Being my Tivo is old (last one that works with analog cable) I have to manually fast forward through the commercials. I didn't know the new DVRs did this automatically........

Like you say - I need to give up my thing with the ads - an automatic fast forwarding DVR just might push me over the edge.

Thanks for that info!

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
I agree about being force fead all the commericals. My wife and i watch mostly things on the DVR part of direct tv. We never watch anything live except sports. just watch out for the hidden charges in Direct TV. there is a charge for HD service and DVR service. Our bill has crept up to 134$ per month. I like Direct Tv but watch on placement of the dish because when they installed new one two years ago they put it in a spot where the wind blows snow in it and heavy rain kills it. Keep the dish where yu can clean it off if you have to.we almost lost the superbowl 2 years ago but i was able to hook up a attenna and watch it over the air. I am NOT a recycler either but try and get rid of three big screens... the local recycler is free so thats where they went.

·
Registered
21,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had DirecTV many years ago. This was back when you bought the equipment and installed it yourself. But as you say, the price just kept creeping up and up until I got fed up. Luckily a cable company had run cable to my house then which was very surprising where I live. So opted for their basic TV for $15 a month and finally had high speed internet.

Just took a look comparing DirecTV and Dish - that auto rewind feature is not available with DirecTV so that automatically puts them out for me. This auto fast forward thing is huge for me!

Dish would be $57 per month with a 2 year contract and a guaranteed rate lock. I like that idea better.

Dish placement might be tough however. I know where it needs to point (I still have my old dish mounted on the side of my house). But the tree that it is pointing over has grown since and don't know if it will reach over. I certainly will not let them put it on the roof. I will have to see if they will install a pole in the ground - plenty of places where I know they can get the signal within 20' of the house.

Man - I'm kind of excited now. Will have to see if there are any better deals/coupons/promotions for Dish - might give them a call.

My local cable company offers HD TV but they don't publish prices on their website. I am really hesitant - but this might be the easiest route since the cable is already in my house. I could then get the newest Tivo unit that has the auto-skip feature. All I would need from the cable company is a cable card to put into the Tivo unit. A plus with the cable company is there is no contract but I don't know what their price is or how the quality of the signal is. Might have to give them a call also......

I would feel better going with dish - especially when reading about how they will have the new 4k content available. I doubt this backwoods cable company would ever have that - heck they are still broadcasting an analog signal!

I've done a search for reviews of my cable company but all I find are a couple bit** reviews. But I will admit that my internet service is just about flawless.

https://www.zitomedia.net/

·
Registered
481 Posts
Be sure to get one with a network connection for Netflix. I have heard about people getting free TV through their network. I have not tried but I am going to look into this and get back to you.

·
Registered
21,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Be sure to get one with a network connection for Netflix. I have heard about people getting free TV through their network. I have not tried but I am going to look into this and get back to you.
The Dish receiver says it has the Netflix app built in. But I still have my Roku3 which is even better.

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
my VIZO in the bedroom has netflix built into the actual tv. on the remote is a "Netflix" button and the tv has wifi. i love it but i lose sleep because of it.

·
Registered
395 Posts
For what it's worth, the top tier plan for Netflix is streamed at 4k (for the shows that support it).

Another option is to research the app Kodi. You won't be able to install it on your Roku but FireTV Sticks are cheap enough. With add-on apps such as Exodus, Stream All the Sources, USTV Now, etc, you can stay current on all of your regular TV shows (you can even get caught up to Season 10 on Heartland! *wink wink). If you like like pro sports, there is even an app for that. I was able to watch the MN Vikings play this weekend.

·
Premium Member
10,976 Posts
I am NOT a recycler either but try and get rid of three big screens... the local recycler is free so thats where they went.
Around here it is next to impossible to get rid of a tube TV. A lot of the E-recycling centers have closed. The township recently announced a new program that costs $25 per TV for disposal. It's no wonder you see this stuff laying along the side of the road.

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
remindss me of the policies of a retail envoirment. we had some old monitors to get rid off, I was going to nthrow in dumpster but my "Green" boss said take them to recycle center, I get back with a 48$bill for four moniters and he had a fit. Now we use dumpster for them. Now the big push is in floresent tubes. By a 12 count box at lowes for 19.00 and to recycle them is 1.50 each and with our company they keep track of them at corprate. never ends

·
Registered
21,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
For what it's worth, the top tier plan for Netflix is streamed at 4k (for the shows that support it).

Another option is to research the app Kodi. You won't be able to install it on your Roku but FireTV Sticks are cheap enough. With add-on apps such as Exodus, Stream All the Sources, USTV Now, etc, you can stay current on all of your regular TV shows (you can even get caught up to Season 10 on Heartland! *wink wink). If you like like pro sports, there is even an app for that. I was able to watch the MN Vikings play this weekend.
I'm going to have to do some research on this. I may need to send you a PM to point me in the right direction if you don't mind.

I know you mentioned this before in the Netflix thread but it went right over my head. This might be a good solution for me as an add-on vs. going with a 2 year Dish contract.

Around here it is next to impossible to get rid of a tube TV. A lot of the E-recycling centers have closed. The township recently announced a new program that costs $25 per TV for disposal. It's no wonder you see this stuff laying along the side of the road.
Same thing here - even for a flat screen TV or any electronics.

Once a year the township has a "clean-up day". I hadn't been there in years. I had enough to go this year ($20 charge) and had 2 TVs (1 CRT type and 1 LCD) plus a UPS (battery backup) and they woudn't take them. I asked what I was supposed to do with them and just got shrugged shoulders. The reason they started doing the clean-up day is to stop people from throwing this stuff over the banks on the back roads.

Another issue is that the average person in this area will never pay that $20 - so over the bank it goes.

Same goes for refrigerators and freezers - they won't take them and there is no place to recycle them.

So now I have to get creative with my sawzall and loader bucket. If it's in a garbage bag they will take it.

·
Premium Member
10,976 Posts
Once a year the township has a "clean-up day". I hadn't been there in years. I had enough to go this year ($20 charge) and had 2 TVs (1 CRT type and 1 LCD) plus a UPS (battery backup) and they woudn't take them. I asked what I was supposed to do with them and just got shrugged shoulders. The reason they started doing the clean-up day is to stop people from throwing this stuff over the banks on the back roads.

Another issue is that the average person in this area will never pay that $20 - so over the bank it goes.

Same goes for refrigerators and freezers - they won't take them and there is no place to recycle them.

So now I have to get creative with my sawzall and loader bucket. If it's in a garbage bag they will take it.
Heh heh... similar here. The weekly garbage collection WONT TAKE NUTT'N so we have a township cleanup day twice a year. It doesn't cost anything and you are allowed one pickup or trailer load. But... they won't take any electronics, no treated lumber or anything else deemed hazardous. They will take a fridge or freezer but the Freon has to be drained and the doors removed. The odd thing is they don't require a certificate of safe Freon removal so I assume folks just punch a hole.

We live in a rural area. Not quite as rural as you but rural. One of the hardest things to get rid of is brush! Not tree limbs but brush... like bush and shrubbery trimmings and clippings. There is literally no place locally that will accept them. I've called the local, county and state environmental offices and they all just throw their hands up and ask why I don't just burn them. Even though I am rural it is not safe to burn brush due to the close proximity of buildings and trees. If I had some hazardous waste they have suggestions for disposal... but twigs and bush clippings... nada.

It is getting so difficult to dispose of items that like you, we have gotten VERY creative with the sawzall... and yes, it is amazing what you can fit in a trash bag.

** Sorry to get off topic **

·
Registered
572 Posts
Stan,

If you plan on keeping Internet through your Cable provider, it's probably worthwhile investigating their Digital Basic TV package with a DVR and comparing that to DirectTV prices.
In order to get UHD content from Netflix, I believe you need 25Mbps or better internet connection. (I assume the Samsung TV you're looking at has the NetFLix App on it. ) I also believe to get UHD streaming Netflix charges an extra $2 per month.

Lots to research, by the time you're done the new 6K TV's will be out :laugh:

Keep us posted. :thumbup1gif:

P.S. I think you need the Roku4 to stream true UHD

·
Registered
21,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Stan,

If you plan on keeping Internet through your Cable provider, it's probably worthwhile investigating their Digital Basic TV package with a DVR and comparing that to DirectTV prices.
In order to get UHD content from Netflix, I believe you need 25Mbps or better internet connection. (I assume the Samsung TV you're looking at has the NetFLix App on it. ) I also believe to get UHD streaming Netflix charges an extra $2 per month.

Lots to research, by the time you're done the new 6K TV's will be out :laugh:

Keep us posted. :thumbup1gif:

Good points - and you are correct on all accounts. I would have to up my internet speed for Netflix 4k also as I only have 10mbs now.

Tivo's newest DVR has the ad skip feature which would work perfectly with digital cable. This is a must if I do any upgrading. I won't discount the cable until I get all the facts.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
10,976 Posts
It goes without saying that whatever he wants to do, he won't have what he needs. At least that's how it works around my place. ;-)

1 - 20 of 93 Posts