Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a used JD 970 with a 8A backhoe. The FEL works fine but the backhoe is weak on all operations. I don't know where to adjust the pressure relief up a little. Anyone know where this adjustment migh be located ?

·
Registered
316 Posts
I recently bought a used JD 970 with a 8A backhoe. The FEL works fine but the backhoe is weak on all operations. I don't know where to adjust the pressure relief up a little. Anyone know where this adjustment might be located ?

I would be interested in the fix for this as well. I have a 375A backhoe that I think could stand a boost in pressure. I thought the system pressure was adjusted at the loader joystick, but that may be for those tractors that have an integral joystick.

Jeff

·
Administrator
17,292 Posts
I recently bought a used JD 970 with a 8A backhoe. The FEL works fine but the backhoe is weak on all operations. I don't know where to adjust the pressure relief up a little. Anyone know where this adjustment migh be located ?
Looking in http://www.jdparts , they show the PRV (pressure relief valve) breakdown this should be located near the inlet of the valve stack. You would add shims to increase pressure, the use of a gauge is highly recommended.

Attachments

·
Administrator
17,292 Posts
I would be interested in the fix for this as well. I have a 375A backhoe that I think could stand a boost in pressure. I thought the system pressure was adjusted at the loader joystick, but that may be for those tractors that have an integral joystick.

Jeff

This is the PRV, but there is no breakdown for it:

Attachments

·
Registered
316 Posts
This is the PRV, but there is no breakdown for it:
Ken,

So this is on the backhoe control pedestal?

What about system pressure?

Something else I noticed. The cylinder for the dipperstick is at least 1" (possibly even 1.5") larger in diameter than the bucket curl cylinder. Changing the curl cylinder to a larger diameter cylinder would help also. The dipperstick cylinder seems to be larger than the boom cylinder also?

Jeff

·
Administrator
17,292 Posts
Ken,

So this is on the backhoe control pedestal?
Yes, that is where the "valve stack" is.

What about system pressure?
What about it? You'd still check/set it independently of the backhoe.

Something else I noticed. The cylinder for the dipperstick is at least 1" (possibly even 1.5") larger in diameter than the bucket curl cylinder. Changing the curl cylinder to a larger diameter cylinder would help also.
It would slow the function down, but yes it would also give it more power. Quite expensive way to add power though.

The dipperstick cylinder seems to be larger than the boom cylinder also?

Jeff
Look up^

·
Registered
316 Posts
Thanks for the quick response Ken!

So where would main system pressure be adjusted on a 3046R with cab?

Jeff

·
Administrator
17,292 Posts
Thanks for the quick response Ken!

So where would main system pressure be adjusted on a 3046R with cab?

Jeff

Not sure om the new 3R's Jeff, but the technical manual will tell where it is and how to adjust it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts