Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My current shop project is to add some permanent weight to my 6 1/2' TPH disc harrow. I have a hard time paying more than a buck a pound for tractor weights, not to mention the mounting systems cost and footprint when not in use. I'd rather keep another tool, such as a box blade on the back of the tractor for ballast unless space is really tight. My disc harrow doesn't cut into Montana ground all that well on it's own, it needs help. Last season I installed some wood decking on it and strapped down some sand bags. I worked very well ........ at least until the bags started to beak up with all of the ruckus involved with discing. So instead of buying overpriced weights and having to fab some way to mount them, I thought I'd clean some junk out of the in-laws ranch steel pile. I fabbed up a mounting rail and am going to mount 3 defunct irrigation pivot gear boxes using the wheel studs as bolts with the studs facing down for removal if needed. Was using 6 60lb sand bags. I think each of these is a little over 100lbs each and should do the trick. Here's progress thus far ......Will send more pics asap.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,881 Posts
My current shop project is to add some permanent weight to my 6 1/2' TPH disc harrow. I have a hard time paying more than a buck a pound for tractor weights, not to mention the mounting systems cost and footprint when not in use. I'd rather keep another tool, such as a box blade on the back of the tractor for ballast unless space is really tight. My disc harrow doesn't cut into Montana ground all that well on it's own, it needs help. Last season I installed some wood decking on it and strapped down some sand bags. I worked very well ........ at least until the bags started to beak up with all of the ruckus involved with discing. So instead of buying overpriced weights and having to fab some way to mount them, I thought I'd clean some junk out of the in-laws ranch steel pile. I fabbed up a mounting rail and am going to mount 3 defunct irrigation pivot gear boxes using the wheel studs as bolts with the studs facing down for removal if needed. Was using 6 60lb sand bags. I think each of these is a little over 100lbs each and should do the trick. Here's progress thus far ......Will send more pics asap.
Be careful of how much weight you pile on. It will certainly help with the cutting action but discs have some funny stresses and too much weight can cause issues. The gang axles and bearings are designed for a max load and the more weight and cutting action you add, the more the stress on those parts. It may not be an issue with a 6 1/2 disk but I seem to remember JD proudly announcing a new disk in the past only to find out a few months later they were all cracking in the corners of the frame because stress was concentrated there. Of course, that was 50 plus years ago but I happened to see a film about it back in my foray into engineering school.

Treefarmer

Reactions: Montana Dan

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Be careful of how much weight you pile on. It will certainly help with the cutting action but discs have some funny stresses and too much weight can cause issues. The gang axles and bearings are designed for a max load and the more weight and cutting action you add, the more the stress on those parts. It may not be an issue with a 6 1/2 disk but I seem to remember JD proudly announcing a new disk in the past only to find out a few months later they were all cracking in the corners of the frame because stress was concentrated there. Of course, that was 50 plus years ago but I happened to see a film about it back in my foray into engineering school.

Treefarmer
Roger that. I put a 2 x 2 x 1/4" angle iron across the top with holes to accept the stud bolts and another perpendicular on each unit to control for and aft movement up on 5" angle iron legs. That created a truss of sorts. I also added a 3" x 3/8" strip down the middle to grab the front middle and back cross members to add a ton of pulling strength with a hole to attach a spike harrow if desired. This gives me the option to run 1,2, or 3 weights. I calculate it around 360 lbs, the same as the sand bags I used last season.

Reactions: Treefarmer

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's today's progress ....

Reactions: Treefarmer
1 - 4 of 4 Posts