Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,700 Posts
Will a two row cultivator work behind a Deere 5200? Have the chance to pick an old Deere up cheap and I kinda need one until I get my Model H with mounted cultivator running.

Definitely if the wheels can be set to track in the rows.

Depending on if it straddles 1 or 2 rows you May or May not have to remove the center section.

It looks like it is 65” wide but you will need to measure because that is very general not taking into account a tire change or spacer change. 65” is not going to work with 30” rows but it would with 36” rows so it would straddle 1 row meaning the center section of the cultivators would have to be removed. However if it is a 2 row I guess it already is.

But pulling it, no problem at all.

·
Premium Member
4,700 Posts
It looks like it is a Catagory 2. You might be able to flip the pins and get to a very tight Cat.1. The stabilizer disk can be removed.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
IMHO that implement has only enough shanks & sweeps to cultivate 1 row if both units were moved closer together on toolbar. . As it's pictured it's set up similar to rear track plows for frt mount cultivator not as a true rear rowcrop cultivator. Granted photo is of a cultivator designed for more rows than 2 but the rigs still have to be spaced the same distance apart to cultivate & not disturb the crop.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
IMHO, that is not a cultivator,,, :flag_of_truce:

That is a tool to break the tracks left by the tractor tires,,
the tractor that used that tool had a front mounted cultivator.

The tool needs a few more attachments to become a makeshift one row cultivator.

The stabilizer disk was the only thing that saved my BIL,s soybeans as I cultivated,,
without it,, I would have plowed under 1/3 of the crop,,, :laugh:

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Looks like a cultivator to me. ...you said he has the missing center section available...which is good.

You will want to keep the stabilizer disk. This helps dramatically to keep it going straight.

I saw one for sale in central Illinois too. He errantly calls it a '3 row', it would be a '2 row' even after he adds the 'missing section'.
But it looks pretty good.
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/706268416459884/

I'm not sure how to share the link. When I click it above, it doesn't take me to the item. Anyway, in Facebook Marketplace, search "3 row cultivator" in Charleston, IL.

Tim

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
If you Google "front mount cultivator",,

front mount cultivator - Google Search

then look on the back of most of those tractors,, you will see that tool bar.

If you leave the dirt compacted from the tractor tires going over it behind the cultivator,, the compacted earth promotes weed seed sprouting.

That tool bar will "fluff" the tire compacted earth,, allowing the soil to dry, thereby delaying weed seed sprouting.

Kinda like a chemical-free herbicide,,, :good2:

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You're sorta correct but not 100% as photo on the frt of operators manual is larger size than a 2 row with a lot more shanks/sweeps!
Yes I'm aware haha. Would really like a four row but they don't seem to be too common here. Either two or six. And generally you find junk that's all welded up and they have the I don't want to sell it price on it.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Acquire a 6 row & cut a row unit from each end & then you'll have some extra shanks/sweeps.
I know where there's a six row for free but needs welding on the springs on the shanks. My tractor straddles two rows so in theory a two row cultivator would work for now, correct?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Yes a 2 row will work correctly behind your tractor provided the row units on cultivator are spaced correctly for your row widths. I operated frt mount cultivators on 100's of acres but never a rear mount style. I was told by customers that operated a rear mount cult to always look forward that if one looked back inadvertently some crop would be plowed up. What size is your tractor?

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes a 2 row will work correctly behind your tractor provided the row units on cultivator are spaced correctly for your row widths. I operated frt mount cultivators on 100's of acres but never a rear mount style. I was told by customers that operated a rear mount cult to always look forward that if one looked back inadvertently some crop would be plowed up. What size is your tractor?
Model 5200. I picked it up yesterday for a whole $50. Reassembling it today. Came with a bunch of extra teeth of various types.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Congratulations $50 sounds like a bargain purchase.
Thanks. I thought I did well considering he had it listed for $200, apparently he wanted it gone bad. Doesn't seem to have any major issues other than normal wear. Still has original paint. I'll brush some Penetrol on and call it good for now. It matches the rest of my equipment as far as time period and color. 🙂

1 - 20 of 21 Posts