Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an old simplicity two wheel tractor, implements include, tiller, sickle mower, reel mower, sulky to ride on behind. Some one has put a set of old mudgrips on it for tires. I dont have a clue what to do with it? Do these things have any value? It needs some TLC and would be good to go. If anyone knows much about these things I would love to hear your comments. Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
I never knew Simplicity made a two-wheeled tractor. That's actually pretty cool!

I've had Gravely two-wheeled tractors for most of my life. I can attest to the fact that there's a ton you can do with a little walk behind. I actually just picked up another one on Friday so I can have one dedicated with a mower and another that can have the brush hog on it most of the time and then swap on the rotary plow or the snow blade when necessary.

I don't watch "American Restoration" on History very often, but I did catch one episide where some guy brought in an old David Bradly two-wheeled tractor to get restored. They charged him $10k to restore a tractor that was probably worth $2k when they were done with it. :lol: The only thing the guy wanted to do with it was to pull his grandkids around on a cart behind it!

Anyway, back to your original question... There's probably some value to it, but you'll probably have to search around for a buyer. I Googled "simplicity two wheeled tractor" and got a bunch of hits. It wouldn't surprise me to find out that there's a dedicated collectors group out there somewhere. Can you put it to use around your place? If so, do the TLC on it yourself and have a handly little workhorse around your place!

How did you end up with this tractor? Can you post up some pics?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I never knew Simplicity made a two-wheeled tractor. That's actually pretty cool!

I've had Gravely two-wheeled tractors for most of my life. I can attest to the fact that there's a ton you can do with a little walk behind. I actually just picked up another one on Friday so I can have one dedicated with a mower and another that can have the brush hog on it most of the time and then swap on the rotary plow or the snow blade when necessary.

I don't watch "American Restoration" on History very often, but I did catch one episide where some guy brought in an old David Bradly two-wheeled tractor to get restored. They charged him $10k to restore a tractor that was probably worth $2k when they were done with it. :lol: The only thing the guy wanted to do with it was to pull his grandkids around on a cart behind it!

Anyway, back to your original question... There's probably some value to it, but you'll probably have to search around for a buyer. I Googled "simplicity two wheeled tractor" and got a bunch of hits. It wouldn't surprise me to find out that there's a dedicated collectors group out there somewhere. Can you put it to use around your place? If so, do the TLC on it yourself and have a handly little workhorse around your place!

How did you end up with this tractor? Can you post up some pics?

An older farmer had it in his barn, at a neighboring farm..just wanted it out of his way so me being me drug it home, tinkered with it a little and actually did use it some. yes it is pretty cool but compared to ease of use to to days stuff lol...anyway just was curious if there was any interest in such a thing out there. I will try to get some pics up of it. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
20 Posts
If you would like, ship the tractor and all attachments to me for a professional-grade value assessment. No cost to you but the shipping. You'll receive a full written report on the value as a package and as individual sales for all attachments. Normal turn around time is approximately 20 years, depending on how busy I am and how useful to me the item is. PM me if interested. :)

Have a nice day!

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
I enjoy a 2 wheel tractor almost daily,,,

They are my exercise,,, and they get something done.

I have to admit, when the temp hits 90 degrees plus,,,the 2 wheel tractors stay parked!:laugh:
It was only 85 today, so my 5665 Gravely was out trimming fence rows,,, :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I enjoy a 2 wheel tractor almost daily,,,

They are my exercise,,, and they get something done.

I have to admit, when the temp hits 90 degrees plus,,,the 2 wheel tractors stay parked!:laugh:
It was only 85 today, so my 5665 Gravely was out trimming fence rows,,, :thumbup1gif:
Hay, someone forgot to put a seat on them tractors. They also seem to be missing a couple wheels. LOL

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Hay, someone forgot to put a seat on them tractors. They also seem to be missing a couple wheels. LOL
BUT,,, two of them have steering brakes!! :bigthumb:

:laugh:

They can have a seat,,, and more wheels,,, :dunno:

Will that do?? :coffee:

:lolol:

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
I just bought a 5665 the other day. Not nearly as shiny as yours! It will be a nice complement to my 5465. I got the tractor (with dual wheels and steering brakes) and 46" (approx) deck for $650. Not too bad. The duals look undersized - like off an old L-model. I called Richard's Gravely and bought a set of the bigger ag tires to replace them. Actually, I'm going to take the turfs off my 5465 and put them on the 5665 and then put the ags on the 5465. The 5665 will be dedicated to mowing and I'll use the brush hog or snow blade on the 5465.

At some point I hope to be able to refurb them to look like yours!! :bigthumb:

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
The 5665 will be dedicated to mowing and I'll use the brush hog or snow blade on the 5465.

At some point I hope to be able to refurb them to look like yours!! :bigthumb:
The 5665 (the one with green flames on the hood)
came home looking like this,,,

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
You've done a super nice job on those tractors!! And, you have a beautiful piece of property there!!

We should probably start another thread on our Gravely's. I'd be curious to know all of your attachements, etc. I'd also like to find out if you've torn into the transmissions on one of those tractors. The reverse on my 5465 feels like it's slipping. I've adjusted the handle so that it engages earlier, but it seems like either the adjustment isn't staying where it should or there's something inside that's coming apart. I've never seen the insides so I don't know if the material on the "cones" (not sure that's the correct term) inside the transmission is coming apart or not.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
BUT,,, two of them have steering brakes!! :bigthumb:

:laugh:

They can have a seat,,, and more wheels,,, :dunno:

Will that do?? :coffee:

:lolol:
For me? Heck no! My big 300 lbs butt would brake that thing. I think. LOL
I'd be rolling on the ground like the little laughing PAC Man guy above but only crying in pain. LOL

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
For me? Heck no! My big 300 lbs butt would brake that thing. I think. LOL
I'd be rolling on the ground like the little laughing PAC Man guy above but only crying in pain. LOL
My 250 lbs butt fits on my sulky. And the Gravely doesn't even strain a bit to pull me while mowing. These are great little tractors.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
What's up with that big lever in the middle?

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
What's up with that big lever in the middle?
Steering brake.

The Gravely I just bought has one. It's the first time I've used one. I think it will come in handy on the sulkly as you can just use the lever to steer. Pretty cool!

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Steering brake.

The Gravely I just bought has one. It's the first time I've used one. I think it will come in handy on the sulkly as you can just use the lever to steer. Pretty cool!
And, if you look at the brake bracket real close, on the right side, there is a black handle pointing down.
That is a parking brake. Flip it up, and the 2-wheeler will stay where you left it,,,:laugh:

Without brakes, an unattended Gravely can develop a mind of its own!! :dunno:

·
Registered
21 Posts
For a place to find a buyer, check out some of the homesteading forums. I used to know of some folks that were really getting into the latest "back to the earth" movement and bought a couple of acres to grow a lot of their own food. Some of them really liked their 2 wheel tractors. Many of them were really into the BCS 2 wheel tractors

1 - 18 of 18 Posts