Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi

Yep two year warranty just expired and I had a complete 50 hour done at the shop.

The other day I was mowing and noticed when I turn the wheel right the steering wheel is turning but not so much the tire? The left side seems to turn as I turn the wheel.

The right I seem to have to turn the wheel a lot to get the tire to actual turn. Am I going crazy and please don't tell me this is $$$$$$ to fix.

I am on my third summer and love my 1025 but this is the first real issue I have had. Hope someone can help me out and thanks.

·
Registered
769 Posts
The steering is hydraulic so it sounds like the cylinder might be going out on you. :dunno:

·
Premium Member
12,620 Posts
What you are saying doesn't make sense. The steering cylinder attaches to one wheel and then a tie rod couples that wheel to the other wheel. Unless something is physically broken, if one wheel turns the other wheel should turn. In other words, any movement of the steering cylinder is coupled to both wheels.

If the problem was the steering pump then you should see erratic movement from both wheels.

Can you jack up the front end and then turn the steering wheel stop to stop and check the linkage movement?

·
Administrator
20,834 Posts
I think he’s describing his orbital valve going out. I don’t think the OP meant the right tire as much as he meant turning to the right.

·
Registered
769 Posts
I think he’s describing his orbital valve going out. I don’t think the OP meant the right tire as much as he meant turning to the right.
Time to show my ignorance. What and where is the orbital valve?

·
Administrator
20,834 Posts
Time to show my ignorance. What and where is the orbital valve?
It’s the valve at the end of your steering column that sends oil to one side or the other of the steering cylinder. :good2:

·
Administrator
20,834 Posts
I don’t see the steering cylinder itself being the issue. If it was going out, steering would be roughly the same in both directions.

If the OP had a mechanical tie rod issue, he should be able to see/feel that right away. It would also be effected the same in both directions.

My dollar is on the orbital valve.

·
Super Moderator
2,427 Posts
I don’t see the steering cylinder itself being the issue. If it was going out, steering would be roughly the same in both directions.

If the OP had a mechanical tie rod issue, he should be able to see/feel that right away. It would also be effected the same in both directions.

My dollar is on the orbital valve.
And if he just had the 50 hr service done, maybe some residual air in the system that needs to be worked out?

·
Administrator
20,834 Posts
That is possible, but that should quickly resolve itself. A few lock-to-lock actions with the wheel should fix that. :good2:

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
how do that?

That is possible, but that should quickly resolve itself. A few lock-to-lock actions with the wheel should fix that. :good2:

How do I do that to try and see if that fixes it? This is my very first "tractor" so I am learning but clearly I don't know much. I have noticed the steering wheel turns more then the actual front wheel and its very noticeable when I turn to the left the wheel and steering seem ok. When I turn to the right that is where I am noticing the steering wheel turning more or not equal to the wheel turning. Sorry if this doesn't make sense. I will out to tonight and check a few things others have mentioned.

Thanks for all the replies!

·
Administrator
20,834 Posts
Lock to lock is literally turning the steering wheel one way until the wheels stop, then the other way until it stops. Do this a few times.

Is there any jerkiness with the steering wheel? Does it feel smooth and normal?

Count how many turns to go full lock one way, then count the other way and let us know.

More details will help us help you. :good2:

·
Premium Member
12,620 Posts
How do I do that to try and see if that fixes it? This is my very first "tractor" so I am learning but clearly I don't know much. I have noticed the steering wheel turns more then the actual front wheel and its very noticeable when I turn to the left the wheel and steering seem ok. When I turn to the right that is where I am noticing the steering wheel turning more or not equal to the wheel turning. Sorry if this doesn't make sense. I will out to tonight and check a few things others have mentioned.

Thanks for all the replies!
Ahhh... ok... now that makes sense now. Your steering is somewhat asymmetrical. That sounds like the orbital valve. It's pumping more oil when rotated to the left than it is when rotating to the right.

A steering valve is around $709. ;-(

Attachments

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
140 Posts
USAFRet - we feel your angst. Could be any of us (gulp!). So whoever's been there, is there any chance of rebuilding the Orbital valve (a hydraulics shop - certainly not Deere!!) and would it be worth it? Yes- my turn to show my ignorance. My last tractor was a 750 with the hydraulic walking valve-cylinder assist, not 100% hydro.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
It would be normal to have to turn the wheel slightly more in one direction to make the same degree of turn either way due to the cylinder having a rod in one end on this design unless this has been compensated for in the orbital valve.

Never having one apart, it may be possible that the cylinder in this machine has opposing cup style seals in the piston.
If this were the case it is possible that oil is crossing over the piston in one direction and not the other.

Going to be a little tough to sort out...

If it were me I might replace or dissect the cylinder first because the valve will be no fun at all.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Also, you mentioned you had a shop-ticketed 50 hour done. Did that include any opening of the hydraulics? Not to point fingers but Dad always said suspect the last thing you did. Anybody..., a chance that debris/metal shavings entered the system? Couldn't that disrupt a seal or block a port or bypass passage (ignorant so just guessing...). I know someone who had power steering work done on a Cummins Dodge NOT in the OEM ascribed manner - the shards damaged the steering valve, pump, hydroboost (for the brakes) and required 2 flushes!! (why we use teflon goo not teflon tape...) It might be worth bringing this up with the shop.
Just seems like at 50 hours your tractor is just outa training pants!!

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
With only 50 hours and just a few weeks out of warranty , ask the dealer to warranty all , or at least cover part of the cost of repair.
You have nothing to lose by asking , the worst he can do is say "no".

BTW , your two "girls" in your avatar are beautiful !

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
It would be normal to have to turn the wheel slightly more in one direction to make the same degree of turn either way due to the cylinder having a rod in one end on this design unless this has been compensated for in the orbital valve.

Never having one apart, it may be possible that the cylinder in this machine has opposing cup style seals in the piston.
If this were the case it is possible that oil is crossing over the piston in one direction and not the other.

Going to be a little tough to sort out...

If it were me I might replace or dissect the cylinder first because the valve will be no fun at all.
That’s a great point. I have never noticed a difference, but I’m gonna check it out on my machines later.
I don’t think the orbital valve compensates for the area difference. I always see them rated for displacement / rev.
They would say the displacement for each direction if they compensated (I would think).

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
put a spinner knob on the steering wheel and run it till its way worse or leaks somewhere... If your out of any warrenty help that is.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts