Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a nice big "Made in China" on the cast iron loader frame on the 220R. Ugh. I felt guilty for buying Titan forks because they are made in China, and now they are all like, "Hey buddy, haven't seen you since the factory in Shanghai!" to my "American" tractor's loader.

What else on these tractors is made in China? And am I the only one upset by this?

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
What else made in China. Mower blades-bolts-nuts-stamped mower decks-some of the diesel engines-engine parts-cast parts for engines. Most of it crap if not all of it. Look for stuff made in Taiwan. The quality appears to be a little better on most stuff. John Deere Corp. makes nothing, they are just parts assemblers just like the auto companies.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Because it's cheaper for China to produce it and ship it to this country for assembly.

America got out of the manufacturing business a long time ago (due to many stupid things), thankfully we have seen a slight increase in recent times. Can't compete, it's all about $$$ and government red tape.

·
Super Moderator
4,888 Posts
Huh. I thought all the Deere loaders were made in Mexico.

·
Premium Member
10,983 Posts
My 520M was MEX, the front 4wd housing was china, tractor in india. I don't see how manufacturing plus shipping all this is cheaper than just making it in the USA.. Pretty sad really..
Slightly off topic but relative.... Consider this. All but one or two U.S. chicken growers actually sends the chickens to China for processing and then ships the processed meat back to the U.S. Crazy.

·
Super Moderator
4,888 Posts
My 520M was MEX, the front 4wd housing was china, tractor in india. I don't see how manufacturing plus shipping all this is cheaper than just making it in the USA.. Pretty sad really..
I dunno... Figure that a entry level starting assembly line worker for Deere in their US plants makes $13.00/hr and has a pretty decent benefits package (medical/dental insurance, retirement plan, etc...). And that's the entry level job. Pay only goes up from there.

In Deere's plant in Mexico the average assembly line worker gets paid $7.50/day and gets minimal benefits.

That's a lot of cost savings for Deere. They can ship a whole lotta stuff for that...

·
Administrator
17,298 Posts
Huh. I thought all the Deere loaders were made in Mexico.
The loader itself is, but the two main uprights attached to the tractor and the two QA shoes are cast in China.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Pretty sure 95%+ of the electronics in the tractor and everything else is made in China. IMHO people need to get over it, we don’t have enough people to make everything in the US even if the money was no object. I work for a company that makes cameras, and the number of highly skilled people they have helping set up all the factories/tooling is more then the US has unemployed. Sure China does often make crap stuff, but that’s on the companies who outsource there. Everyone knows you have to do random inspections of the factories as well as random spot checks/disassemblies of the components to make sure they don’t change the design to make it cheeper to manufacture. As long as you do that, and you designed it well to begin with, China will make HQ stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2017 2038r 72” MMM Command Cut 220r loader

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Does China have a long history of tractor manufacture?

For example, India does (Mahindra, etc.). I think Mexico does, but not sure.

·
Registered
595 Posts
What else made in China. Mower blades-bolts-nuts-stamped mower decks-some of the diesel engines-engine parts-cast parts for engines. Most of it crap if not all of it. Look for stuff made in Taiwan. The quality appears to be a little better on most stuff. John Deere Corp. makes nothing, they are just parts assemblers just like the auto companies.
My buddies that work in John Deere's foundry in Waterloo Iowa will be shocked to hear they don't make anything. I can't wait to tell them. :mocking:

·
Registered
498 Posts
My buddies that work in John Deere's foundry in Waterloo Iowa will be shocked to hear they don't make anything. I can't wait to tell them. :mocking:

LOL yeah...
On their larger/lower volume units (think Combines etc.) they do it all... LOTS of raw steel and base plastic stocks are sent to the harvester works.

Casting of large, non-intricate parts just doesn't really happen in the US. It's not cost effective, and most companies in the US who do cast are doing more intricate things (think engine block type etc.)

I believe that even Ted from Everything Attachments, who tries to have as little foreign stuff in his implements as possible, eventually ended up getting castings from India for his Aerators instead of cutting lots of sheets of steel and stacking them together as they used to. No one in the US would cast such a cheap easy part... well not for reasonable money anyway.

·
Registered
12,553 Posts
Slightly off topic but relative.... Consider this. All but one or two U.S. chicken growers actually sends the chickens to China for processing and then ships the processed meat back to the U.S. Crazy.
This is why I don't eat chicken, okay, maybe this is news to me but not surprising at. :banghead:

But I still don't eat chicken. :lol:

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Having had experience with casting "manufacturers" in the past, I see lots of reasons they might not have it done here.
Some years back, lots of cast iron producers went out of business. Its harder and harder to find companies that do things like that. Some are plenty happy only doing what they currently do, and dont want more work.

Personally, I see no problem with it. The castings arent made by just some random place, they have to meet Deeres specs or they dont get used.
While I get the "buy made in USA" sentiment, I dont get the idea that everything made in China is automatically junk.
See, when I was young, this same thing applied to Japan. If it was made in Japan, it was junk. Not even close now. China is leaps and bounds ahead of where they were even 10 years ago with manufacturing. Yes, some stuff is junk, but even Snap-On tools has things produced in China. If it meets the brands specifications and strength requirements, its a non-issue.
While Deere does manufacture quite a bit of their own stuff, they cant possibly do it all.
Heck, nobody seems to be complaining about the Yanmar engines...

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
LOL yeah...
On their larger/lower volume units (think Combines etc.) they do it all... LOTS of raw steel and base plastic stocks are sent to the harvester works.

Casting of large, non-intricate parts just doesn't really happen in the US. It's not cost effective, and most companies in the US who do cast are doing more intricate things (think engine block type etc.)

I believe that even Ted from Everything Attachments, who tries to have as little foreign stuff in his implements as possible, eventually ended up getting castings from India for his Aerators instead of cutting lots of sheets of steel and stacking them together as they used to. No one in the US would cast such a cheap easy part... well not for reasonable money anyway.
I work in a casting foundry, investment castings, not sand castings. All I can add is that we have lost some business to overseas companies like in China and India, and their prices for castings, we are told, are less than our costs for just the steel raw material. And that includes the shipping costs overseas. So how do we compete with that ...?

Well, we're basically a job shop by comparison to the 600 lb gorilla companies, we do specialized work ... and we can say we're made in USA. Deere is not one of our customers, and we probably couldn't keep up with their demand.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Having had experience with casting "manufacturers" in the past, I see lots of reasons they might not have it done here.
Some years back, lots of cast iron producers went out of business. Its harder and harder to find companies that do things like that. Some are plenty happy only doing what they currently do, and dont want more work.

Personally, I see no problem with it. The castings arent made by just some random place, they have to meet Deeres specs or they dont get used.
While I get the "buy made in USA" sentiment, I dont get the idea that everything made in China is automatically junk.
See, when I was young, this same thing applied to Japan. If it was made in Japan, it was junk. Not even close now. China is leaps and bounds ahead of where they were even 10 years ago with manufacturing. Yes, some stuff is junk, but even Snap-On tools has things produced in China. If it meets the brands specifications and strength requirements, its a non-issue.
While Deere does manufacture quite a bit of their own stuff, they cant possibly do it all.
Heck, nobody seems to be complaining about the Yanmar engines...
Trust me, I don't think things made in China are junk. China dominates several markets right now, including drones and LED lights (and flashlights). I have Chinese flashlights I trust with my life and often rely on for just that purpose. It just depresses me that more and more US manufacturing is being lost to overseas competitors. What's more American than a tractor or a rifle? Winchesters are made in Japan now, and while Japanese stuff is top notch (I don't think US Winchester ever made a rifle that good!), it's sad to lose an iconic company.

A big chunk of my John Deere tractor is made in China. It's not the greatest feeling. And it has nothing to do with the quality of that part, which I'm sure is just fine.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Trust me, I don't think things made in China are junk. China dominates several markets right now, including drones and LED lights (and flashlights). I have Chinese flashlights I trust with my life and often rely on for just that purpose. It just depresses me that more and more US manufacturing is being lost to overseas competitors. What's more American than a tractor or a rifle? Winchesters are made in Japan now, and while Japanese stuff is top notch (I don't think US Winchester ever made a rifle that good!), it's sad to lose an iconic company.

A big chunk of my John Deere tractor is made in China. It's not the greatest feeling. And it has nothing to do with the quality of that part, which I'm sure is just fine.

From my personal dealings exporting from China years back... You just hope your supplier bought off the right communist party member...

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
I remember when Made in USA was the good stuff and the stuff from Japan was pure junk. But one difference between them then and China now was their stuff looked like crap but was usually serviceable. I remember having some Japanese hand tools and socket sets from that time that looked terrible, the chrome looked more like paint, but I don't remember ever breaking one.

Chinese stuff on the other hand often looks pretty good but is just junk because the material it's made of is pure crap. I marvel sometimes at the skill it takes for them to make something look good with the material they use. Lots of their metal products are often too flimsy and bends easily or breaks, and lots of their plastic stuff just disintegrates for no reason. I've actually had things made of plastic that I had bought and never got around to using for a year of two and then when I picked it up it just fell apart.

The Chinese nowadays can make quality stuff if someone holds their feet to the fire and demands it, but too many companies that moved their manufacturing there don't do that, all they want is the cheapest price and don't worry enough about the quality.

·
Premium Member
4,732 Posts
Yeah. They have quite a few factory's in the Midwest. Cylinders in Moline, Waterloo has a very large manufacturing operation along with others and many small shops around Wisconsin, Illinois and Iowa are suppliers. I do get aggravated as well when I see all the China stickers on Deere and everything else but there is still a lot of things made here.

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
I have worked hauling John Deere freight since 93 and have hauled a lot of boxes with "Made In" stickers from all over the world. For 6 years I ran a route from the Milan Illinois parts depot to O'Hare airport every night shipping flash parts around the world. My sister is a Deere I.T. person and she has worked in Deere plants around the world. She was in Germany for 2 years and India for a year. Just because it says made in China does not mean it wasn't made in a Deere plant. i drive by a foundry Deere closed long ago because of the EPA. I trust Deere with the quality control and have not been disappointed yet

1 - 20 of 59 Posts