Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was moving some gravel around to fill some holes in the drive after the record rainfall amount we had in February. On my last trip, I saw this lying on the ground.

1230181609.jpg

Uh oh. I knew from the color what it came off of. After crawling around in the dark with a light, I found the spot.

1230181609a.jpg

1230181619.jpg

It looked like it had only been spot welded on. After a few minutes the next day with the wire welder and paint can, we were back in business.

1230181850_HDR.jpg

I'm very thankful that it didn't pop off somewhere in the woods or deep mud. Has anyone else had a problem with this on the 260B?

·
Administrator
18,527 Posts
I wonder if they forgot to weld it? It would seem to me that it should have had more than a couple tacks
This!

·
Registered
858 Posts
That must have been built on a Monday or Friday and forgot to finish the weld. I just went and looked at mine and it has a complete weld.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wonder if they forgot to weld it? It would seem to me that it should have had more than a couple tacks
Those were my thoughts too. Everything else was welded solid.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
I have had to design quite a few welding fixtures for production.
These can be a real pain in the butt because often you have to accommodate the weld pulling in a direction as it cools and compensate for that.
Spotting everything in position is desirable because it allows better manipulation for the welder to position his gun and it reduces spatter build up on the fixture components.
Clamp individual parts in fixture, spot weld, remove from fixture and then produce weld to drawing.
Happens to us occasionally, welder neglects to weld complete.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,123 Posts
Pretty good looking weld there Dr Kubar. A rounded piece of steel welded to a flat piece of steel is not the easiest to do.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Having been to the supplier or at least the one a couple of years ago they set everything up in a fixture (tacked) and then it went to an automated weld fixture. If they are still doing them there they must have had a stop and didn’t check well when they restarted.

Reactions: rtgt and Dr Kubar

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pretty good looking weld there Dr Kubar. A rounded piece of steel welded to a flat piece of steel is not the easiest to do.
Thanks Gizmo. Really, you're being too kind. My normal welds look like someone smeared snot on it and let it dry.:laugh:

I'm just happy when it holds.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,123 Posts
Thanks Gizmo. Really, you're being too kind. My normal welds look like someone smeared snot on it and let it dry.:laugh:

I spoke the truth in my statement, they do look pretty good. We are tractor guys, not welders. :thumbup1gif:
And just so you know, nobody and I mean nobody shows pictures of their bad welds. :lol:

·
Administrator
20,982 Posts
And just so you know, nobody and I mean nobody shows pictures of their bad welds. :lol:
So one of your other nicknames is Nobody?

·
Premium Member
9,360 Posts
:hide: :doorclose:

:lol:

Looks like "Nobody" has left the thread..................:laugh: I think the little smiley guy was making a hand gesture as the door was closing.....and he wasn't waving goodbye......

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,123 Posts
Looks like "Nobody" has left the thread..................:laugh: I think the little smiley guy was making a hand gesture as the door was closing.....and he wasn't waving goodbye......
I'm glad you saw that. :lol:

Reactions: SulleyBear

·
Premium Member
9,360 Posts
I was moving some gravel around to fill some holes in the drive after the record rainfall amount we had in February. On my last trip, I saw this lying on the ground.

Uh oh. I knew from the color what it came off of. After crawling around in the dark with a light, I found the spot.

It looked like it had only been spot welded on. After a few minutes the next day with the wire welder and paint can, we were back in business.

I'm very thankful that it didn't pop off somewhere in the woods or deep mud. Has anyone else had a problem with this on the 260B?
Dr. Kubar,

Seriously, I do have to say that I like the way you handled the entire issue. You took it in stride and dealt with it. Problem resolved and unit back in operation.

Sometimes issues like this result in a very negative tone and the OP starts shredding on the dealer or Deere and the entire matter just spins negative and negative and the piling on begins. Someone else will point out an issue they had (usually totally unrelated) and the entire thing morphs into a whining session and who pays for what and how a recall should be held and blah, blah, blah...............

Mistakes happen, occasionally things get overlooked. You simply pointed out the issue, identified where the part came from, provided helpful photographs helping clarify exactly what happened and then you solved the problem and the result is an informational thread instead of an accusatory thread.

In the long run, its a much more helpful approach and I commend you for handling it the way you did......................

Now if I could just remember how to issue reputation points to Dr Kubar.....as they are certainly deserved.....

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Dr. Kubar,

Seriously, I do have to say that I like the way you handled the entire issue. You took it in stride and dealt with it. Problem resolved and unit back in operation.
Sulley, thanks for the kind words. Life's too short to whine and cry. I did call the service manager at the dealer (my son, by the way) because I didn't want to do anything to screw up the warranty. He gave me the go ahead for the repair or said they would be happy to do it. No problem. We're in good shape and we've got tractorin' to do.:greentractorride:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,123 Posts
I spoke the truth in my statement, they do look pretty good. We are tractor guys, not welders. :thumbup1gif:
Now that's funny!:lol:
After looking at your welds again,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,they look like crap.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Premium Member
9,360 Posts
After looking at your welds again,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,they look like crap.
He also did well with the paint job. No runs, no drips, no errors.......

Hey , that even kind of describes "Nobody's" welding:laugh::lol:

Reactions: Gizmo2 and Dr Kubar
1 - 20 of 20 Posts