1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
22,713 Posts
That's very interesting. I've heard and read a lot about Ethanol, but have never seen it at the pump. I'm not quite sure but I think our gas has some Ethanol in it. The article talks about buying gas without any Ethanol - there is no difference around here as far as I can tell - gasoline is gasoline.

I do know that a logger friend of mine always uses premium gas for his saws. I actually don't have any small engines that I run anymore - just good 'ol #2 in my tractor.

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
Wonder if they are going to do a "cash for mowers" buy back, after the "mandates" have ruined them? :unknown:

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
All gas contains some ethanol these days (5-10%) It's one of those hidden things that makes it more difficult to get good mileage out of a car. Ethanol is a less efficient fuel than gasoline and you burn more of it to go the same distance as gasoline. It's not about fuel efficiency or the environment - it's about subsidies to the corn industry.

I'm not a fan in case you couldn't tell.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Ethanol isn't as bad as some make it out to be. Most of our gas has ethanol in it. Now id rather have straight gas but 10% ethanol hasn't caused me any real problems and I have a number of small gas engines .

·
Registered
1,542 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,144 Posts
There are a lot of winners when it comes to ethanol....

Farmers, parts and service companies, new product manufacturers and the retail stores that sell you the new stuff, and the tax collector when you have to pay to fix or replace something 10 years before it would have normally lasted.

Now you've just bought a new fangled plastic Chinese made POS that won't last a fraction of the time your old one did, and the cycle continues.

There is only one looser when it comes to ethanol....

The consumer.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Ethanol isn't as bad as some make it out to be. Most of our gas has ethanol in it. Now id rather have straight gas but 10% ethanol hasn't caused me any real problems and I have a number of small gas engines .
I've not had any fuel related issues in any of my small equipment BUT I have seen quite an uptick in small engines needing repair due to fuel related issues.

All of my fuel and most all of my equipment is stored in doors. I run all equipment at least once a month, even during cold moths. Let 'em get hot and shut 'em off.

Every time I have someone bring me a small engine with fuel issues, it and the fuel sit outside for months on end. Some under a lean too others just out in the open or under a partially covered deck. My dad is real bad about it. The last time I was at his place he had three cans of gas with missing caps. A paper towel was just stuck in the nozzle. When I was a kid this didn't affect his equipment, now it does.

I think the biggest thing ethanol is doing is exposing those that don't take proper care of their equipment. It makes it impossible to ignore servicing and storing the equipment properly.

Long term effects, "running hotter" as the article states, not sure. Part of that issue is parts being used are of poorer quality, pot metal and aluminum as compared to good ole cast iron. I don't expect any new Briggs to last 30 years but some of the running hotter is the leaning out the fuel ratio and using non adjustable carbs. It isn't just the fuel causing these engines to run hotter.

And for the record, I don't like ethanol, there is no reason we should be using it.

·
Administrator
17,974 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
Back on topic, my dad told me today that his weed eater quit working. He said that he thought it was the gas so he dumped the gas into his JD riding mower. Now it isn't running. He then told me that he might have to start using stabil after all.

I give up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22,713 Posts
Back on topic, my dad told me today that his weed eater quit working. He said that he thought it was the gas so he dumped the gas into his JD riding mower. Now it isn't running. He then told me that he might have to start using stabil after all.

I give up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've been in the habit of using Sta-Bil for a long time, but not during the summer when I use up the 2 gallons of gas I keep around. I have a 4-stroke hand-held blower (John Deere of course!) that I couldn't get running last fall. After a half hour of frustration I finally gave up and tried some fresh gas - fired right up. I am thinking that this Ethanol stuff shortens the shelf life of gas a lot.

·
8,558 Posts
I've got a Honda engine push mower that has always started on the first pull, and ran great. This year, winter was late leaving, and I had a gallon of fuel left from last Fall. I added it to the lawnmower and it surged the entire time I was using up that fuel. Give me the good stuff that could overwinter in the tank, and the last gallon left from last year was usable, without all of the excess build up and degradation.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,458 Posts
I've got a Honda engine push mower that has always started on the first pull, and ran great. This year, winter was late leaving, and I had a gallon of fuel left from last Fall. I added it to the lawnmower and it surged the entire time I was using up that fuel. Give me the good stuff that could overwinter in the tank, and the last gallon left from last year was usable, without all of the excess build up and degradation.
Whatcha using the mower for?:lol:

·
8,558 Posts
Whatcha using the mower for?:lol:
The gates going into my half acre lawn are not wide enough for the 1050! Besides, some of us have to work to try to keep a "girlish figure" and pushing the mower and hoeing the garden by hand help me *attempt* to keep that look. :flag_of_truce:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,458 Posts
The gates going into my half acre lawn are not wide enough for the 1050! Besides, some of us have to work to try to keep a "girlish figure" and pushing the mower and hoeing the garden by hand help me *attempt* to keep that look. :flag_of_truce:
Thanks, didn't know you had grass out there in Texas.:lol:

·
8,558 Posts
Thanks, didn't know you had grass out there in Texas.:lol:
:tongue: And I do mean...:tongue: I do have to mow weeds, ya know?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts