Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sooooo, I hit 10 hours on the tractor yesterday. Figured I would go over it good today. Torqued the loader frame bolts and checked over all my fluid levels. When I checked my front axle oil it was just a little low. No problem. I have some HYGARD in the building. Realizing that my tractor wasn’t completely level, I decided to pull it out in the 45 degree rain to the only level spot I have. Most people would have just waited for better weather. Not me, I’m smart like that. So, get it out there, sure enough, oil is a little low. Topped it off, waited a little for it to settle, checked it again, right on the mark! Nailed it. Take the HYGARD back to the building and while I’m walking by my shelves I notice my John Deere premix radiator fluid is missing. Hhmmmm? I also notice that I have an extra gallon of HYGARD I didn’t know about. Hhhmmmm? Yep, filled the front axle with antifreeze. So, I’m not dare going to move the tractor back into the building with an axle full of antifreeze. Had to drain it and refill in the beautiful rain.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Sooooo, I hit 10 hours on the tractor yesterday. Figured I would go over it good today. Torqued the loader frame bolts and checked over all my fluid levels. When I checked my front axle oil it was just a little low. No problem. I have some HYGARD in the building. Realizing that my tractor wasn?t completely level, I decided to pull it out in the 45 degree rain to the only level spot I have. Most people would have just waited for better weather. Not me, I?m smart like that. So, get it out there, sure enough, oil is a little low. Topped it off, waited a little for it to settle, checked it again, right on the mark! Nailed it. Take the HYGARD back to the building and while I?m walking by my shelves I notice my John Deere premix radiator fluid is missing. Hhmmmm? I also notice that I have an extra gallon of HYGARD I didn?t know about. Hhhmmmm? Yep, filled the front axle with antifreeze. So, I?m not dare going to move the tractor back into the building with an axle full of antifreeze. Had to drain it and refill in the beautiful rain.
That is classic. I laughed out loud. Glad it was nothing any worse.

·
Premium Member
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The manual says the axle holds 4.1 quarts from empty. I got about 3.75 or 3.8 quarts back in it to bring it to the full line. Now I’m wondering if I should run it up the driveway a bit to get it mixed up and change it again. Dont care to do it, but Hygards expensive.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Chances are if you didn’t run it between and drained it right away that the two fluids didn’t get mixed up being oil and water after all. I’d suspect that your drain was sufficient as the water should have been on the bottom and drained first.

·
Premium Member
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hope so. I could see some of it in the pan when I drained it. It was only in there for probably 15 minutes. Time it took to get my tools together.

·
Premium Member
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Does anyone think I need to change the oil again? Figured I put about one half quart of coolant in. No idea if I got it all out. Drained the axle til nothing was dripping.

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
Yep

Does anyone think I need to change the oil again? Figured I put about one half quart of coolant in. No idea if I got it all out. Drained the axle til nothing was dripping.
Yep, I figure you probably need to drain it at least once, maybe twice more. It's not because I think you will hurt the tractor but I'll bet if you don't drain it again, you will agonize over it.

i suspect you got it all out the first time but it's a new tractor and if you will worry every time you hear a new noise then a couple of gallons of HyGard are pretty cheap.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
23,531 Posts
Yep, I figure you probably need to drain it at least once, maybe twice more. It's not because I think you will hurt the tractor but I'll bet if you don't drain it again, you will agonize over it.

i suspect you got it all out the first time but it's a new tractor and if you will worry every time you hear a new noise then a couple of gallons of HyGard are pretty cheap.

Treefarmer
I agree. Only this time run it around for a while to get the oil warmed up and circulating before you drain it.

You guys are lucky who get to jse HyGuard. Changing my front axle with 90W takes forever when refilling.

·
Premium Member
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think I agree, guys. I don’t think there would still be enough in there to hurt it, but why chance it. When this rain stops I’ll drive it up and down the hill in 4wd to heat it up and drain it one more time. Fill it back up and be done with it.

·
Old Pa-pa
12,124 Posts
Sooooo, I hit 10 hours on the tractor yesterday. Figured I would go over it good today. Torqued the loader frame bolts and checked over all my fluid levels. When I checked my front axle oil it was just a little low. No problem. I have some HYGARD in the building. Realizing that my tractor wasn’t completely level, I decided to pull it out in the 45 degree rain to the only level spot I have. Most people would have just waited for better weather. Not me, I’m smart like that. So, get it out there, sure enough, oil is a little low. Topped it off, waited a little for it to settle, checked it again, right on the mark! Nailed it. Take the HYGARD back to the building and while I’m walking by my shelves I notice my John Deere premix radiator fluid is missing. Hhmmmm? I also notice that I have an extra gallon of HYGARD I didn’t know about. Hhhmmmm? Yep, filled the front axle with antifreeze. So, I’m not dare going to move the tractor back into the building with an axle full of antifreeze. Had to drain it and refill in the beautiful rain.
Bad, but still ain't as bad as my buddy who put 10 gallons of diesel in his Vette, that costs him a few coins to get-er fixed. :banghead:
He did make it 2 miles down the road before he figured something was wrong with the lack of power and throwing
big time smoke behind it. :lol:

·
Registered
23,531 Posts
Bad, but still ain't as bad as my buddy who put 10 gallons of diesel in his Vette, that costs him a few coins to get-er fixed. :banghead:
He did make it 2 miles down the road before he figured something was wrong with the lack of power and throwing
big time smoke behind it. :lol:
Opposite stories abound on the TDI Forum (diesel VW) - some from wives but most from fuel jockeys and the owner not watching - putting gas into a diesel.

Yank’s little snafu is akin to draining your motor oil and forgetting to replace the plug before filling.

At least he noticed although too late. Better than not noticing at all - until things started going terribly wrong......good catch!

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
1 more time probably isn't necessary, I'd do it just for piece of mind.

Don't feel too bad another gallon of hyguard is a pretty low stupid tax. If I listed all the stupid things I've done it would probably lock up the Internet.:banghead:

·
Premium Member
15,323 Posts
Like the others you should be fine but I would probably change it again .

Years ago my SIL filled there lawn tractor with diesel fuel , she made it about 3/4 around the lawn then the smoke started and total lack of power. :laugh:

·
Registered
837 Posts
1 more time probably isn't necessary, I'd do it just for piece of mind.

Don't feel too bad another gallon of hyguard is a pretty low stupid tax. If I listed all the stupid things I've done it would probably lock up the Internet.:banghead:
Now that was funny!:lolol:

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I’m going to offer a dissenting opinion and again state that one good drain is quite sufficient, especially since you didn’t use the machine.

Any minor amount of coolant which may remain will be evaporated or driven out of the axle and the hyguard by use and heat thru the breather valve in the axle.

Regardless of the amount of times you drain and refill it you will never remove 100% of the incorrect fluid. Thus it’s futile to continue to expend resources time and energy to chance infinitesimal percentages thru multiple repetition of drain and refill.

·
Registered
12,765 Posts
I agree. Only this time run it around for a while to get the oil warmed up and circulating before you drain it.

You guys are lucky who get to jse HyGuard. Changing my front axle with 90W takes forever when refilling.
coaltrain-when i changed over to the newer axle internals--they recommended i change the oil to hy-guard then too.

·
Registered
12,765 Posts
I’m going to offer a dissenting opinion and again state that one good drain is quite sufficient, especially since you didn’t use the machine.

Any minor amount of coolant which may remain will be evaporated or driven out of the axle and the hyguard by use and heat thru the breather valve in the axle.

Regardless of the amount of times you drain and refill it you will never remove 100% of the incorrect fluid. Thus it’s futile to continue to expend resources time and energy to chance infinitesimal percentages thru multiple repetition of drain and refill.
now jd might of changed that on yanks newer model-but my 2520 has no breather on it. they claim the dipstick might have a tiny breather-but i have used a magnifying glass on mine-and i couldn't find anything.

but maybe the newer generation model was changed.:dunno:

·
Registered
593 Posts
Guy I work with put DEF in his diesel tank. Filled it completely up. Cost him $1500
At work, I bet you look like a genius, with a guy like that! :lol:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts