Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sorry I haven't checked in for a while. I just don't get on forums all that much. Feeling like a fair weather friend (well, more of an inclement weather friend). Hope everyone in the eastern US made out ok from this storm.

So, reason I wanted to check in was on count of an odd issue. I was plowing my driveway for the first time with my 2025R. I left the 270A backhoe on for weight. (worked great in that regard). Obviously, I wasn't using the backhoe to engage the snow. I was swinging the boom from left to right on occasion so I could back up in tighter areas. Just about when I was ready to go back up to the garage, I reached back to straighten the boom and got noth'n. I heard the hydraulics, but no movement. Worse, I realized the boom was swinging free left to right. Uhg.

Once I got back up to the house, I hopped off the machine and looked at the situation. First thought was a blown cylinder..> Nope. No leaks, clean, not a thing wrong. Moved the swing arm and noted that the cylinder was moving with the whole boom . Hmm. Look around the other side under the seat area and notice the bolt/pin is gone on the rear mounting bracket area. This stinks. The good news was, all I had to do was lock the swing into transport position in order to continue snow clearing duties. The bad news is, I can't figure out how this would happen. I wasn't digging or putting any stress on this bolt. The bolt is long gone I'm sure in the snow. I did find some sort of pin/clasp that looked bend and broke. Guess I can call dealer Monday and see if I can get new parts under warranty. It's not a wear part or a shear part that I can see. Just plain old weird.

One other thing to mention, when I went to insert the other transport pin (raise/lower arm pin for lack of the technical term), it only went in half way and doesn't look like it wants to align. Almost like something is majorly bent. I'm worried as to what I might be in for on this whole experience. Everything was wonderful last time I used the 270 to engage the ground. So, can't figure out what went wrong.
Could driving the machine a lot without locking the backhoe down for transport do all this damage? If so, I might have to rethink things. I just can't see having to get off and on the machine to lock the hoe each time I want to move it to a different location. Hope that isn't deere's expectation of proper use and care.

Thanks for any feedback.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,054 Posts
I know the #46 BH will flop around like a wet noodle if the cylinders are not cycled fairly often, the cylinders will not hold pressure very long.
This makes it a somewhat PITA to have on the tractor if you are not using it.
I would like to think nothing is bent but out of alignment due to the lost pin and only one swing cylinder.
I am not 100% sure which pin you lost. Maybe a picture?

·
Super Moderator
8,189 Posts
It's possible you could have lost a swing cylinder anchor pin retainer. This would have allowed the anchor pin to drop out from below.

Here's a photo of the swing frame and cylinder mounting that might help:

270A Swing Frame.jpg

Reactions: FormulaB and Gizmo2

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the replies. Yup, it's that anchor bolt set up. #36-#40 are long gone :banghead: I can't figure out how that would happen. Oh well. I'll see if I can find the parts online. Personally, think it should be warranty. There's no 'maintenance' issue I could think of that would cause this. Maybe, a branch got in there at some point and started the process of pulling the clip(anchor pin retainer) out of place and it was just a matter of time before the whole thing dropped out...

I'll have to check into the bigger problem/concern of alignment on the boom mast and the transport lock alignment. Figure, if something's bend I'm not going to address it in the middle of the winter. Not much BH work go'n on any time soon anyway.

Reactions: Gizmo2

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
Back hoes with the "one" swing cylinder, after not being used ( as mentioned) may get some air and get very very floppy, which can bend the up down "rest" pin, and any side to side lock pins or in this case your cylinder mount as your side to side lock was out. Its a lot of weight out there to be bouncing around. I broke a few parts on my 8B hoe before I decided to clamp it tight in place, and use a ballast box.. and the cars in the driveway are MUCH safer now!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here are the pictures. I'm even more confused after looking closer at the issue. How could this happen?
20160127_143302.jpg
The pin bolt and nut, with the busted pin end are securely in place still for the rear cylinder anchor bolt.
20160127_143253.jpg
This is what the pin looks like that I did manage to find. (no bolt yet).

Is this worth bring to the attention of John Deere Corp?

My other concern is the boom swinging into the subframe and eating into it...
20160127_143359.jpg
20160127_143410.jpg
This is only after 120 hours on the machine and out of that, I'd say maybe 30-35% is BH use. Plus, how much of that use would be full swing?

Any thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
8,189 Posts
Here are the pictures. I'm even more confused after looking closer at the issue. How could this happen?
View attachment 121881
The pin bolt and nut, with the busted pin end are securely in place still for the rear cylinder anchor bolt.
View attachment 121889
This is what the pin looks like that I did manage to find. (no bolt yet).

Is this worth bring to the attention of John Deere Corp?

My other concern is the boom swinging into the subframe and eating into it...
View attachment 121897
View attachment 121905
This is only after 120 hours on the machine and out of that, I'd say maybe 30-35% is BH use. Plus, how much of that use would be full swing?

Any thoughts?
It appears that the swing cylinder anchor pin was dry and very tight. When swinging the boom the cylinder anchor pin rotated against the bolted lock pin and twisted it off at the bolt head. If there's no way of lubricating the cylinder ends where they pivot (Zerk fitting) then you should spray the pins down with a good quality penetrating lube.

As far as the main boom pivots are concerned those look like they might be a bit dry as well. Have you lubricated the swing points? Did they take grease? I sometimes have to extended the boom and apply some down force to allow me to grease the main swing pivot and have it take enough grease. After that I'll swing it side to side a few times and hit it with grease again. That area is subjects to a lot of stress and constant loads in all directions.

Is there not a bump stop at full swing to prevent "gouging" of the weldment?

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,054 Posts
It appears that the swing cylinder anchor pin was dry and very tight. When swinging the boom the cylinder anchor pin rotated against the bolted lock pin and twisted it off at the bolt head. If there's no way of lubricating the cylinder ends where they pivot (Zerk fitting) then you should spray the pins down with a good quality penetrating lube.

As far as the main boom pivots are concerned those look like they might be a bit dry as well. Have you lubricated the swing points? Did they take grease? I sometimes have to extended the boom and apply some down force to allow me to grease the main swing pivot and have it take enough grease. After that I'll swing it side to side a few times and hit it with grease again. That area is subjects to a lot of stress and constant loads in all directions.

What he said. ↑↑↑ Almost reads like I wrote it. :thumbup1gif:
I've found, grease does not last long in some of the pivot points on these BH's, maybe because the pins are so small.
Sure would like to see the pin that fell out.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)

Great points. 1) Good call, it does appear to be totally dry. There is no zerk fitting on the rear anchor bolt assembly. (there is on on the front boom swing bolt assembly. Weird. Maybe a future project to drill one in. IN the meanwhile, I'll add this to the check list to lube.

The main boom pivots, top is oozing with grease under the main plate. THe lower one is good in wet. Yes, need to have the boom in right position to get grease in there. I usually grease every 10-15 hours... more if using it for larger jobs. I just missed that rear anchor pin. Makes me think I need to go back over this machine front to back and spend some time to see what other friction points there are being missed with no zerk.

There are no swing bumpers on a 270A. There's also several other friction points on the stabilizer arms that have no zerks. Those I have periodically lubed. This was a nice inexpensive warning shot for me to take better note of what needs attention on the machine.

Thanks for the reply.

What he said. ↑↑↑ Almost reads like I wrote it. :thumbup1gif:
I've found, grease does not last long in some of the pivot points on these BH's, maybe because the pins are so small.
Sure would like to see the pin that fell out.
:laugh: Smart minds think alike. I love this forum. Whatever the question, there's always great answer and great support. Always appreciated.
I'd love to see the bolt too. I think the bend in the retaining pin tells the story now that I better understand. A dry bolt would have locked up at some point with just the right force on it. During plowing, swing the boom out of the way while on an incline or such might have caught a flat spot or friction point, bend the retainer and sheared it as seen above. Not sure I would have come up with that on my own.... Glad it wasn't anything worse.

Think this weekend, the 2025R will get a good once over. Torque down and all.

:kidw_truck_smiley:

Reactions: Gizmo2

·
Administrator
20,969 Posts
For what it's worth, I'd grease the hoe before I used it for any job. You can do that as the tractor is warming up for a few minutes. It also garuntees that you look it over and it stays well lubricated. Grease is cheap. :good2:

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Back hoes with the "one" swing cylinder, after not being used ( as mentioned) may get some air and get very very floppy, which can bend the up down "rest" pin, and any side to side lock pins or in this case your cylinder mount as your side to side lock was out. Its a lot of weight out there to be bouncing around. I broke a few parts on my 8B hoe before I decided to clamp it tight in place, and use a ballast box.. and the cars in the driveway are MUCH safer now!
I think the key lesson is, I rather not use a BH a my ballast, LOL.
Going to pick up one of these ;CountyLine Carry All - For Life Out Here
From tractor supply and get a 2 x 10 to built a platform, 10 sand bags, and no more BH issues. : ) Or I could just get a ballast box, but what fun would that be.:lol:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,054 Posts
For what it's worth, I'd grease the hoe before I used it for any job. You can do that as the tractor is warming up for a few minutes. It also guarantees that you look it over and it stays well lubricated. Grease is cheap. :good2:
Pretty much what I do. I also like to give the swing cylinders a good greasing before I put the BH on, it's MUCH easier, at least on the #46 BH.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For what it's worth, I'd grease the hoe before I used it for any job. You can do that as the tractor is warming up for a few minutes. It also garuntees that you look it over and it stays well lubricated. Grease is cheap. :good2:
I had the chance to work for a construction company. They were training me as a heavy machine operator. Every morning, freezing to death while dozer warmed up, you're out there with the grease gun. LOL. I should stop being lazy and carry over the same mentality to my little JD. :bigthumb: (I never hacked it in the construction end of things..I was told I was a great operator, but didn't have the temperament for it, AKA, I'm too wimpy to be *****ed at 10 hours a day 6 days a week, LOL).

·
Registered
65 Posts
Backhoe--a definite plus!!!

Hi Neighbor---I am in Princeton. I used my backhoe for weight for the big blizzard and it worked like a charm-----except that I forgot it sticks back there a long way and I poked a small hole in my shed while backing up! I lube the backhoe after every use, spray 656 (anti corrosion) all over the tractor as SOP. So far so good---no issues. I also spray some white lithium grease in spots where I feel there may be some friction but no zerks. There sure are a lot of moving parts on this baby!!! Reminds me of a helicopter! :laugh:

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Hi Neighbor---I am in Princeton.

Howdy, Princeton has some nice areas. I go through there for work sometimes. A few really nice parks too. Love the canal and the beautiful paths.

I used my backhoe for weight for the big blizzard and it worked like a charm-----except that I forgot it sticks back there a long way and I poked a small hole in my shed while backing up!

Oh no! LOL. That stinks. I was so worried I was going to take out one of the four cars in the driveway. Worse, I was thinking how mad the wife would be if I bump the house or the newly installed garage door. :nunu: Man, would I be in for it.

I lube the backhoe after every use, spray 656 (anti corrosion) all over the tractor as SOP. So far so good---no issues. I also spray some white lithium grease in spots where I feel there may be some friction but no zerks. There sure are a lot of moving parts on this baby!!! Reminds me of a helicopter! :laugh:

I am amazed as to how many hidden little friction points are on this machine. I'm just going to baby it through the winter and wait for some nice warm weather before giving it a better once over. In the meanwhile, yup, some lithium grease and some "super slick/slick stuff" here and there. (no idea what that crap is, but someone mentioned it to me so I got a can). I might add the missing zerks, but that's a major PITA on count of metal shavings, taping holes properly, and not voiding whatever warranty is left.

Anyway... have fun on the 1025R. It's a nice tractor. I test drove that one a few times. For the money, I sometimes still wonder if I would have been better off. :gizmo: Oh well, just money... go'n run out one way or the other eventually :lolol: Might as well have fun in the meanwhile. :thumbup1gif::kidw_truck_smiley:

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update

Hello boys and girls,

Although, I don't get on here as much as I like, I thought it was important to make a stop to update this thread.

My John Deere dealer was insistent that the 270A has a zerk on the rear boom cylinder sleeve. (where the rear anchor bolt is). The drawing shows one. Well, guess what, the drawing is wrong!!!!

After sending several photos to the dealer, he must have still not believe me and checked out the 260 on the 1 series backhoe. Guess what, not one there either. So, for all you backhoe owners, do yourself a favor, check all pivot/friction points. Don't count on Deere for a zerk or to even point out areas to lube.

I did get the parts for no charge and repair took no more than five minutes (tight area to get into). I lubed the new bolt and will continue to use spray lube on any fittings without zerks. Might try to drill and thread in a zerk fitting for this boom anchor point.

I do feel a level of frustration with JD and my dealer when their first instinct is to pass blame to the operator. Maybe, I should have noticed this oversight but the blame still goes back to JD for sloppy engineering and total lack of quality control on this part. I'll stop my rant here and just say that I'm frustrated by many things with this purchase. So far though, the good has out weighted the bad. Hoping it will stay that way. 127 hours on the 2025R in under a year. Looking forward to a machine I can get at least 1200 hours out of!

·
Registered
12,601 Posts
Hello boys and girls,

Although, I don't get on here as much as I like, I thought it was important to make a stop to update this thread.

My John Deere dealer was insistent that the 270A has a zerk on the rear boom cylinder sleeve. (where the rear anchor bolt is). The drawing shows one. Well, guess what, the drawing is wrong!!!!

After sending several photos to the dealer, he must have still not believe me and checked out the 260 on the 1 series backhoe. Guess what, not one there either. So, for all you backhoe owners, do yourself a favor, check all pivot/friction points. Don't count on Deere for a zerk or to even point out areas to lube.

I did get the parts for no charge and repair took no more than five minutes (tight area to get into). I lubed the new bolt and will continue to use spray lube on any fittings without zerks. Might try to drill and thread in a zerk fitting for this boom anchor point.

I do feel a level of frustration with JD and my dealer when their first instinct is to pass blame to the operator. Maybe, I should have noticed this oversight but the blame still goes back to JD for sloppy engineering and total lack of quality control on this part. I'll stop my rant here and just say that I'm frustrated by many things with this purchase. So far though, the good has out weighted the bad. Hoping it will stay that way. 127 hours on the 2025R in under a year. Looking forward to a machine I can get at least 1200 hours out of!
Grumka-ur get 10 yrs out of it. I'm on my 11yr starting this summer with right around 880 hrs. the last 2 summers not mowing with it, has saved lots of hrs, or i'dl be over a 1,000 hrs by now. yes it is frustrating when things don't go our way, and JD has left us in left field, ask me how I know that, to long of story and about $3,600 worth-eh!! keep ur chin up.

Reactions: Grumpka and Jeff B

·
Registered
272 Posts
I think the key lesson is, I rather not use a BH a my ballast, LOL.
Going to pick up one of these ;CountyLine Carry All - For Life Out Here
From tractor supply and get a 2 x 10 to built a platform, 10 sand bags, and no more BH issues. : ) Or I could just get a ballast box, but what fun would that be.:lol:
Exactly what i use. I have a wood platform on it with a wood box that has cement blocks in it. Total weight is 625#. Works great!

Reactions: Grumpka

·
Registered
272 Posts
would be nice to see some pics and vids of the 270a working. I want to get one in the future for my 2025r.

Reactions: Grumpka

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
would be nice to see some pics and vids of the 270a working. I want to get one in the future for my 2025r.
This sounds like a fun idea! I know I couldn't find any videos of the 270a beyond how to mount and dismount it. I will get something together soon. I could use a distraction :laugh:

Exactly what i use. I have a wood platform on it with a wood box that has cement blocks in it. Total weight is 625#. Works great!
That's encouraging. I need to get on this project. Later in April, I plan on purchasing a full trailer load of new toys for the 2025R from Tractor Supply. This is on the list. ;) (along with posthole digger, york rake, ratchet rake, rear blade and maybe a log splitter... and and and....)

Grumka-ur get 10 yrs out of it. I'm on my 11yr starting this summer with right around 880 hrs. the last 2 summers not mowing with it, has saved lots of hrs, or i'dl be over a 1,000 hrs by now. yes it is frustrating when things don't go our way, and JD has left us in left field, ask me how I know that, to long of story and about $3,600 worth-eh!! keep ur chin up.
That's good news, well not about the $3,600 worth of lost money... I was going to trade in the 2025R for a 3039R, but after visiting the dealer and sitting on a 3 series I realize how unrealistic it would be to own that beast. So, I'm learning to really appreciate the 2025R.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts