Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a new 900 foot + asphalt drive installed last fall and I want to use my 54" snowblower but I don't want the steel skids grinding away on the asphalt. Are there any quality UHMW or comparable feet available? Maybe the scraper bar too?

·
Registered
751 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,074 Posts
UHMW polyethylene is easy to machine using ordinary woodworking tools. If you have easy access to remnants, you could probably make what you need.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Had a new 900 foot + asphalt drive installed last fall and I want to use my 54" snowblower but I don't want the steel skids grinding away on the asphalt. Are there any quality UHMW or comparable feet available? Maybe the scraper bar too?
I just installed a set of these: Robalon A150BS Snowblower Skid Shoes

Quite pricey but if they last as advertised, I don't see replacing them anytime soon. It also helped that Small Engines Parts Warehouse is only 10 miles down the road from us.

Concerning the wear bar...I couldn't find anything commercially online and ended up buying (what a believe better that JD) wear bar from Heavy Hitch. John Deere 2 Stage Snow Blower Blade / Wear Bar / Scraper / Cutting Edge

FYI...the wear bar comes with hardware (stainless steel) but no hardware was provided with the shoes.

Reactions: jgayman

·
Premium Member
13,077 Posts
Concerning the wear bar...I couldn't find anything commercially online and ended up buying (what a believe better that JD) wear bar from Heavy Hitch. John Deere 2 Stage Snow Blower Blade / Wear Bar / Scraper / Cutting Edge

FYI...the wear bar comes with hardware (stainless steel) but no hardware was provided with the shoes.
Hmmm... I was not aware that HH made a replacement wear bar. Thanks for the tip. I see it is ~$10 more than the stock JD part but given that it is made from better material and includes SS hardware that's not a bad deal.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I got impatient and decided to make my own skids. Actually, skid "covers or skis" might be a better description since I just attached them to the stock skids. These are quick and dirty but just might work, for a while. I'll be testing them today.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Well, I got impatient and decided to make my own skids. Actually, skid "covers or skis" might be a better description since I just attached them to the stock skids. These are quick and dirty but just might work, for a while. I'll be testing them today.
They look good, but you may have issues getting a close clear of the drive now, as you added thickness to the skids, and I don't know that they can go "up" enough to compensate?

Reactions: Bumper and jgayman

·
Premium Member
13,077 Posts
They look good, but you may have issues getting a close clear of the drive now, as you added thickness to the skids, and I don't know that they can go "up" enough to compensate?
I was thinking the same thing. He will probably need to mount them on the outside of the housing. That's where I've always had mine mounted. Worst case he can drill a couple extra mounting holes to accommodate the new higher position.

Reactions: mjncad

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep, mounting to the outside will allow a more appropriate position. I darn near cut the stock steel skids off of the mount after drilling the first hole. Broke two drills and had to resort to "step" drilling from 1/8 up to 1/4" to fit the 1/4-20 grade 8 bolts. They must use some high strength steel on those skids to keep the wear at a minimum. Went through all that trouble only to use the plow instead. Too darn windy here today for the snowblower. Maybe next time. :unknown:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts