Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well. I have 10 hours on my new 1025R and noticed a spot or two in the grass where it appeared to have leaked hydro fluid.. I walked back down to the tractor and sure enough I found Hydraulic oil on the back right corner of the mower deck ( as your sitting on the seat ). I took a look around and noticed it seems to be coming from the loader control and running down the wheel well.. I checked the fluid level and it was a little bit high but it was also warm and wiped up the remaining hydro oil.. I am going to check that again when I get home today to make sure the level is still good. Yesterday when I used the tractor I didn't notice anymore oil? :dunno: is there a type of overflow or relief up on the control / loader joystick? Don't know the " tech" name for that YET.

OK. I just got off the phone with my sales guy at my local dealer. He said they have seen in the past where the factory missed a rubber gasket / oring in the connection lines for the loader control.? But more likely it is due to the tractor purging some unwanted hydraulic fluid. Told me to keep an eye on it and if I needed to call in for it again they would either come and pick it up or fix on site.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I had this on my 2038. New tractors and hydraulic leaks go together like peanut butter and jelly. Mine was the same place. I took my fender panel off, wiped everything down and worked the loader valve til I pinpointed my leak. It was from JD getting paint on the copper crush washer, which kept it from sealing. My dealer gave me a new washer and I changed it out in ten minutes. No more leaks. Should be an easy fix. First thing you need to do is pinpoint your leak.

·
Premium Member
2,758 Posts
Has Yank said small leaks are not uncommon. Its normally just find it and tighten it. Good Luck..

·
Registered
286 Posts
There are two types of hydraulics leaks; Some that leak now and some that will leak later on.
We have a similar quote in the boating world

Everything on your boat is broken, you just don't know it yet

·
Premium Member
9,171 Posts
Well. I have 10 hours on my new 1025R and noticed a spot or two in the grass where it appeared to have leaked hydro fluid..
Hydraulic oil leaks have a way of making a little drip or two look like a lot of oil. That is, until there is a LOT of oil and then it puts the drip in perspective.

As others said, often a very simple issue of something loose. Your dealers response was promising. Your dealer acknowledged there could be an issue and if it turns out there is one, they will address it. That's the right way for them to respond.

When they deny there could be a leak and argue with you, that's the wrong road to go down.....there are those threads on here as well.

I did notice a couple of drips of anti freeze in the snow on the plowed driveway from my new tractor when I first used mine a couple of months ago. In my case, since I had added the block heater and also a coolant operated cab heater, they simply overfilled the system a little bit and it sorted itself out and hasn't been an issue since. That was 160 hours of use ago.

Enjoy your new tractor!:bigthumb:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:cray: The dealer had to come pick up my tractor yesterday.. I checked the hydro level and it is over the 2nd "C" on the dipstick where it says check above the full hash marks.. They said they just want to be sure and they are picking up and delivering back to me. I called at like 930 and they came at 1030 to get it! HAPPY SO FAR!:bigthumb:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:dunno: Just got off the phone with the dealer. They told me that they found that the control valve itself is bad! looks to be maybe a bad casting? they ordered me the entire valve and it should be in by tomorrow. They are going to try to have the tractor back to me for the weekend. Good Service!! :bigthumb:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
GREAT! ANOTHER leak

:banghead: So I get my NEW 1025R back this past Friday after having the loader control valve replaced. I take the loader off Saturday morning, mow grass and remount the mower deck. Pick up the loader bucket and for some reason just decided to do a dump cycle.. Glad I did. My son says dad what was that! He then told me he saw " water" shooting out when I dumped the bucket... His "water" was the hydro fluid squirting out of the yellow quick disconnect fitting where the hardline goes into it under the floorboard... This is pretty Irritating... BRAND NEW TRACTOR 2 hydro leaks.. I hope this isn't the start of a green plague:nunu:

On the other hand. I called the dealer just now and told them of my problems. they are sending a field tech out with a " handful of orings and 2 gallons of hydro fluid" today as soon as he gets back in the shop. So at least they are responsive. That is the only thing keeping me from being REAL upset. This kind of money for a tractor. ya know? Sorry. needed to vent.. I just want my tractor! :kidw_truck_smiley:

OHHH and while I was mowing.. I stopped because I am not used to the speed of the new beast.. even in low range it seems much faster than my old Husqy and I found that I had to slow down a lot to make my turns because I had to turn the wheel so far.. Fixed that! added one of them John Deere spinner knobs with the tractor tire tread on it. :bigthumb: MAN WHAT A DIFFERENCE! I really like that! soooooo much easier. I now have 17 hours on it.

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
While I am sure it is frustrating to find these problems, its better to get them out of the way AND, to see how your dealer responds to you. From what you are reporting, your dealer is coming through in spades and someone that I'd be happy to have near me.

Let us know how things go from this point on. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Wow, you have a great dealer. A little inconvenient so far but I bet you will have very few problems after this. I love my spinner knob too!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
While I am sure it is frustrating to find these problems, its better to get them out of the way AND, to see how your dealer responds to you. From what you are reporting, your dealer is coming through in spades and someone that I'd be happy to have near me.

Let us know how things go from this point on. :thumbup1gif:

Yes, I am really pleased to see that they respond this well. They were at my house within about 2-3 hours of me calling it in. The guy that came out told my wife that he typically works on bigger stuff like combines but he had some time to stop by. All said he was at my house for about an hour and took the tractor for a spin around the yard after replacing the oring. No paper work needed signed after 2 repairs.. Is this normal? You would think they would want a signed copy.. I DID.. but didn't get anything. Not a huge deal but would be nice to keep record officially. I really hope there isn't too much more that is going to break..:greentractorride:

Reactions: SulleyBear

·
Premium Member
9,171 Posts
Yes, I am really pleased to see that they respond this well. They were at my house within about 2-3 hours of me calling it in. The guy that came out told my wife that he typically works on bigger stuff like combines but he had some time to stop by. All said he was at my house for about an hour and took the tractor for a spin around the yard after replacing the oring. No paper work needed signed after 2 repairs.. Is this normal? You would think they would want a signed copy.. I DID.. but didn't get anything. Not a huge deal but would be nice to keep record officially. I really hope there isn't too much more that is going to break..:greentractorride:
I have had two warranty on site repairs and both involved several hundred dollars worth of parts (One alone was about $650) and I haven't seen or signed a thing. Both of my issues were handled very responsively and promptly. I trust they are being documented at the dealership and I am going there today to meet the Service Manager and to pick up some parts for my new sprayer. I plan to ask for paperwork copies of the incidents for my records.

Funny thing about the hydraulic connections under the platform for the loader. On my 22 year old tractor, I had a coupling that started to "drip leak" and I thought if it happened to one, the other 3 were likely right behind it. I ordered 4 female couplings and replaced them all myself, which is very easy to do. About $140 in parts in total.

Within two days, I am raising the deck and all of a sudden, there is a stream of hydraulic fluid shooting 20 feet out the front of one of the new couplings. So, I took one of the old ones and replaced it. A short while later, the 2nd new coupling began leaking, in the end, I replaced the o-rings in my old couplings and put all 4 old ones back on and have had no issues since. The "new couplings" are in the spare parts box, hopefully where I will never need them.

You can tell the spring pressure is less in the new couplings, which make them easier to connect the hoses, which I am sure was a complaint Deere has heard a million times. BUT, the "softer" springs allow the valve to seat improperly, which is what causes the leaks. If you have a fitting leaking like yours and mine has, if you look into the coupling, you will see how there is a cup shaped valve which the spring and hydraulic pressure seats when you disconnect the lines. It also is pushed back into the coupling when you connect a line.

If when the hydraulic hose / line is released, the valve fails to seat squarely as it should, the leaks occur. It's as simple as reaching in the valve with a small pointed instrument and pushing on the valve, allowing it to snap into position and seat as it should. Do NOT attempt this with the tractor running as there is a lot of pressure in the system. This will also happen if there is any grass or dirt or other debris, which is why it's crucial to keep these valves covered when not in use.

As someone who has a tractor that was built in the mid 90's, which I bought new, and this new 1025R, it's very clear that things are not made the way they used to be. Sadly, the push to keep costs down and have more and more items made in low cost production countries means the quality is simply not as good as it used to be. But I will also say that in 1995, I paid nearly $17,000 for my new 455 diesel lawn tractor, the MC 519 cart, 60" deck, front quick attach, snow plow, 47" two stage snow blower, weights, chains, front drive unit, etc.

Considering that the new 1025R with a deck and loader sells for what I paid for the equivalent of a x750 with some implements, means the cost of these tractors has largely remained unchanged in over 22 years. When you take into account the time value of money, tractors have never been a better deal. With that said, I would also say I would be willing to pay more for HIGHER QUALITY USA MADE components, instead of the China sourced hydraulic couplings, etc.

I will be honest. I thought long and hard about buying a new tractor because of all the strange, annoying little failures and issues which many have had with new tractors and reported these problems and issues here on GTT, that in 23 years and nearly 2,700 hours of use on my 455, I NEVER experienced. If my 1025R can be as reliable as my 455 has been, I will be thrilled. But to be honest, I will also be amazed. :unknown:

At about 80 hours of use, I had hydraulic lines fail on my front Quick Attach Hitch during this winter, spraying hydraulic oil all over the cab and hood and front of the tractor. Thankfully, it was all on the exterior of the tractor, but it's a challenge to clean off equipment covered in sprayed hydraulic oil when it's 12 degrees outside without scratching or damaging the tractors finish. I will say that when Kaleb, my Deere Technician "Extraordinaire" arrived, he was fully prepared to clean the tractor, which I felt was not a good use of his time. I handled all the cleaning and glass washing, etc. But I appreciated that he was willing and prepared to handle that task. Just in a couple of lifts of the front hitch with the hose spraying fluid, I was down over 2 gallons in the system very quickly.......which surprised me. He brought 3 gallons of fluid with him and he used 2 and about a pint of the 3rd gallon to refill the system and the new lines.

I ended up firing up the garage heater and hand washing the tractor, after wiping off the majority of the oil with micro fiber cloths which I then threw away. My dealer was exceptional and sent out Kaleb to repair it within 2 hours of when it happened. He saw the one line had failed, so he went back to the dealer and made me 4 brand new lines, all new fittings and they wrapped the lines with special protective cover and secured them in the chrome support ring. No problems since. Here is a photo of how he completed that repair. Note the oil all over the tractor and floor.....:banghead: It makes everything look nice and shiny, but also very oily.

IMG_20180104_121851490.jpg

If my dealer was not exceptional and my sales guy, Ryan at Green Mark such an outstanding guy who has become a friend, I would have a different opinion of my tractor. But their responsiveness and attention to detail has been exceptional, which is greatly appreciated and also makes the issues which have happened, something I can accept.

My 455 never had a warranty claim, not a single one. Other than oil changes and normal service, the first "repair" was replacing the alternator at about 1,600 hrs. Then, I replaced the Deere $350 alternator again at 2,300 hrs. Incidentally, when I was searching for a new alternator after my Deere OEM part failed again, I found this one on Amazon for around $60 (new) and I ordered it. It was identical to the Deere OEM part, even the same casting numbers. I mean, it was identical. The $60 alternator has been working fine ever since.......

IMG_20170422_151040480_HDR.jpg

At 2,400 hrs, I completely rebuilt the rear hydro assembly and replaced all seals, gaskets, etc. Other than the PTO clutch, and related bearings, no "hard parts" (gears, shafts, spacers, etc) were required.

Now, I am replacing the front steering hydraulic cylinder today, at nearly 2,700 hrs. Fluid changes, filters, a half a dozen batteries, 4 new female hydraulic couplings (then replaced with the old ones rebuilt), 4 tie rod ends (from the weight of the extra large snow plow carried on the front), a few light bulbs, 2 alternators, steering cylinder, PTO clutch, hydro seals and gaskets and that's the history of the "old" tractor over 23 years and 2,700 hours.

I sure hope I am that lucky with this new one.......(fingers crossed)..........

·
Registered
5 Posts
1025R Hydraulic leak

I took delivery of my new 1025R Wed. 9/29/18. First time I used it I saw streaks in my yard that was from Hydraulic fluid leaking and found the reservoir was below the dipstick. Tractor had 1.1 hours on it when delivered. Dealer picked it up on Tues, 9/4/18 keep it for 3 days and said they found no leaks. Brought it back 9/6/18. I used it again and found the same problem. Saw no oil on the mower deck.
Now what?

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
If after the dealer brought it back, stating he found no leaks, did you check the fluid level at that time? Im asking because hydraulic oil does not evaporate and if the level was good and now it isnt, then it certainly went somewhere. While it may not be on the mower deck, try to crawl underneath and see where it might be coming from.

Yes it most definitely should be under warranty but, it would definitely be helpful to the person that has to diagnosis it if you can point them in the right direction.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
This is scary I have one on order and because of this thread am thinking of canceling the order. A Deere is supposed to be trouble free and long lasting and if they can't last two hours maybe they don't deserve my money. My old seventies ford and massey have never had any issues and they get used hard.

·
Super Moderator
2,459 Posts
This is scary I have one on order and because of this thread am thinking of canceling the order. A Deere is supposed to be trouble free and long lasting and if they can't last two hours maybe they don't deserve my money. My old seventies ford and massey have never had any issues and they get used hard.
I'd say calm down, don't get hasty. I think if you follow this and/or other forums, you'll find that leaks on new, out of the box tractors are infrequent. Or any serious problems for that matter. Yes, people make mistakes, machines malfunction, etc., but I believe the percentage overall is low. When you build a million things, a few are going to fail. It's inevitable in this world. But overall, the odds are in your favor with a new 1025R. I think you'll love it.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I'd say calm down, don't get hasty. I think if you follow this and/or other forums, you'll find that leaks on new, out of the box tractors are infrequent. Or any serious problems for that matter. Yes, people make mistakes, machines malfunction, etc., but I believe the percentage overall is low. When you build a million things, a few are going to fail. It's inevitable in this world. But overall, the odds are in your favor with a new 1025R. I think you'll love it.
Well to be honest I am tempted to go bigger but that defeats the whole reason for buying a teeny tiny tractor that can get inbto places the bigger ones can.t. I keep waffling on the 2025 but that one is seven inches longer so I'm gonna stick with the 1025R. I'm sure it will be a handy little critter.
thanks for the heads up:cheers:

Reactions: kylew
1 - 19 of 19 Posts