Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All, I'm considering building an outbuilding (either metal building or pole barn) for equipment/vehicle cold storage. This is at a secondary property and I don't believe it would be worthwhile to heat it other than when I am there. So, it will be unheated for a fair amount of time. In Upstate NY we get a lot of snow.

I saw some reference to unheated concrete floors heaving in these conditions. The entire space will be unheated most of the time, and I suppose since it will be unheated most of the time there probably isn't much point in insulating it. Thoughts about this? I would like to put a loft in that is occasionally used as living space.

I'm looking for everyone's input.

Also for a large building (ie 40x60) what is the most effective way to heat it up on demand? I was thinking about something wood fired.

·
Super Moderator
4,884 Posts
Heaving is all about water. You either need to build up the area so that it is higher than the surrounding ground level and pour a slab on top of that or put in a frost wall foundation. Either will keep water from sitting under the main floor area. No water, no heaving. People do this all over the northern tier of States with very few problems.

As for heating, a big wood stove (or two!) is probably the fastest way to get it warmed up. It may take a while to get the slab itself warmed up. That can cause your feet to get cold even after the ambient temps come up.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I have a torpedo heater for my shop I think it’s a ac-190. 190k btu and fueled by diesel or kerosene. I’d use it to heat the shop while getting the wood stove going. It smells a little with diesel but gets things toasty. For the living quarters I’m assuming your loft will be above the shop? The Concrete would act as a huge heat sink and take a while to warm up

Brett

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
All, I'm considering building an outbuilding (either metal building or pole barn) for equipment/vehicle cold storage. This is at a secondary property and I don't believe it would be worthwhile to heat it other than when I am there. So, it will be unheated for a fair amount of time. In Upstate NY we get a lot of snow.

I saw some reference to unheated concrete floors heaving in these conditions. The entire space will be unheated most of the time, and I suppose since it will be unheated most of the time there probably isn't much point in insulating it. Thoughts about this? I would like to put a loft in that is occasionally used as living space.

I'm looking for everyone's input.

Also for a large building (ie 40x60) what is the most effective way to heat it up on demand? I was thinking about something wood fired.
the garage my dad built was almost that large-his is a odd size-34 wide by 58 long. his ceiling height is a t 16 ft, so a 14 ft door could be installed. back then he had a tandem wood truck, with a Prentice loader mounted on it. the bad thing in his, he never closed off the ceiling, when i had my flat bed trailer in there for a week, with a coal and wood fire, we melted the snow off the roof, the 2nd night. all the heat goes to the roof. if i had kept working, i was gonna close the rafters off, to help with the heat.

u said a bout a wood stove-ok-warm at one end, froze at the other. gonna need duct work for the far end for sure. we used a torpedo heater for the far end. then it wasn't too bad. but it takes the wood to feed our stove.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts