Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not without my phone when I am on the tractor as I have business to take care of via email and phone. I like having the phone mounted to the tractor and did with my Droid X. However I swapped phones and I am not going to spend $$$ on another car mount that is proprietary.

I did some searching for a universal mount and the only thing that I liked that I felt would grip the phone with all the bouncing was from a company called RamMount. They use a standard 1" ball and you can configure using several mount options from handlebar clamp to suction cup to screw mount.

They also have all kinds of stuff that attach to the ball like a cupholders, cameras, etc.

I thought it was cool.

RAM X-Grip™ Phone Mounts

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Talk about timing..... Thanks! I was just trying to find mounts for my phone and radar detector. If you've ever been inside the new jeeps, you'll understand. Absolutely no room. Got 2 on order!

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Good stuff, I use Ram products on my boat for GPS

·
Administrator
17,327 Posts
I have been using RAM products on my motorcycle and other things for 10+ years. Great stuff!

I usually buy from this place: RAM Mount Accessories

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mount came today. Wanted to install it to the mount I attach the snowblower chute cap cable to. The base was a little large so you can see I chucked it up in the redneck lathe and turned it down. Threaded a 1/4-20 stud into it so I could mount it.

Should work great. I have 12 volts right there so can put it on the charger.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
Good choice! We use a lot of Ram mounts to attach things to forklifts, everything from fans to scanners to 15 lb RF computer units. They make some tough stuff.

Had a customer just today, ran the forklift into something. Broke the RF unit off the Ram mount; the mount was just fine. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
429 Posts
So, how do you guys hear them ring? lol I just let mine go to voice mail. I figure if it is important they will leave a message. When I get off I check the phone.

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I can usually hear it but not always. But a lot of times when I mow I use headphones and listen to music. When the phone rings it mutes the tunes and I can answer it. But I use mine more for email than phone. The phone I just let go to VM most the time.

And its a safe place to store it too. I have been tossing it in the cup holder. Last week I drove up to my parents and loaded up some brush on the trailer. I had a soda in the cupholder so was holding the phone and tossing it up on hood when I would stop and load up stuff. Well forgot about it and when I was heading home I realized it was gone. So had to walk all over their acre looking for it. Just glad I did not run over it ! I knew it was time to get another mount.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Well I can usually hear it but not always. But a lot of times when I mow I use headphones and listen to music. When the phone rings it mutes the tunes and I can answer it. But I use mine more for email than phone. The phone I just let go to VM most the time.

And its a safe place to store it too. I have been tossing it in the cup holder. Last week I drove up to my parents and loaded up some brush on the trailer. I had a soda in the cupholder so was holding the phone and tossing it up on hood when I would stop and load up stuff. Well forgot about it and when I was heading home I realized it was gone. So had to walk all over their acre looking for it. Just glad I did not run over it ! I knew it was time to get another mount.
Yep, knocked mine off my belt one time while standing on the FEL cutting low hanging limbs. My dad managed to find it the next day after I told him I had lost it. Laying on the ground under one of the tree I trimmed. Now I have a habit of checking for it every few minutes. lol

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
I also like/use Ram Mount, from both the mentioned site and from Amazon (free shipping).

I did get something to day from them that was bad. It's their dual suction cup holder. Poorly done. Hairline cracks in one of the molded pieces, where they went with a different plastic. The cups don't line up straight. I sent them a "Guys, you blew it on this one" feedback. So other than their suction products, yeah Ram is OK. For suction products, I'm using stuff from Arkon.

Pete

1 - 12 of 12 Posts