Green Tractor Talk banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,924 Posts
I can't recall doing anything as safe as that when we grew up! Yes, we still have our fingers and toes. The close calls we had were amazing.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk
I agree, lucky to believe alive quite honestly.
But, when I see my daughters doing some stupid $#!% like messing around with the tractors or implements in bare feet I also feel it's my desire and obligation as a parent to correct them.

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
10,789 Posts
The video is 7 years old. I hope the dad and daughter are still alive.

·
Registered
3 Posts
While researching HH, I viewed several YouTube videos. This one was somewhat disturbing and thought I would post it for others to see.

Three (3) issues I see, weights weigh over 8X more than the person, no gloves (potential pinch), and lastly a major one in my book....bare feet! I understand the purpose of this video but it is POORLY demonstrated in my opinion.

Can't fix stupid ?

·
Registered
66 Posts
I was chastised once on this site for making a comment.. but I saw a child in that video who was learning to do a job and accomplish a task. Dad was right there. Not agreeing that more teaching could have been applied.
But I watched one little girl who learned that a little extra effort would get the job done.
Over protect them, and they won't learn much.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The kid is learning to help out, don't be a helicopter parent I learned at my dad's side and if it was dangerous, he'd give a heads up on how to asses the work.. She did just fine and looks like she'll be fine!

·
Premium Member
12,924 Posts
I don't have a problem with learning but part of the learning is to be SAFE! At least wear SHOES and GLOVES. Just sayin'
Agreed

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
In today’s standard this wasn’t safe either but we all did it

·
Premium Member
12,924 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I guess I lead a sheltered life. Being raised on a farm around animals and moving equipment, I was taught safety first. I am sure there were things I did that were unsafe but nothing stupid. When riding in my grandfather's pickup, we sat down in the bed behind the cab. Never rode on the rails or tailgate. I still have all my fingers, toes, eyes, limbs, and no broken bones or scars. I have/had friends who were not so lucky.

·
Premium Member
1,005 Posts
Last November, my twin grandchildren were visiting and I needed to get the tractor ready for a big storm that was coming. I knew they would want to help. I had already acquired safety glasses and hearing protectors appropriately sized for them. We spent about 3 hours converting the tractor for snow removal. It took a while because we talked about all the hazards associated with each step before we started it. Wherever possible, I let them do the task. We also had to do most things twice because they both wanted to do everything. They learned that linch pins can bite, and nobody got bitten. I was impressed with their mechanical aptitude and their ability to solve each mechanical "puzzle". They helped grease the driveshaft and neither one got any grease on themselves. I wish I could do that. It was cold out, but they didn't care. We all enjoyed the time a lot.

Neither one of them was put off by the emphasis on safety. They were as attentive during the "safety" parts as they were during the "fun" parts. They were too young and innocent to have adopted the attitude that I've seen at times during safety discussions in the workplace. It was the ideal time to start developing good safety habits.

Making safety part of the work wasn't that big of a deal and hopefully they'll remember the lessons for a lifetime. I felt like I had accomplished a lot that day, and I'm looking forward to similar opportunities in the future.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts