Green Tractor Talk banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I know the
On a plus side, when everything was all apart and exposed, I was able to give the housing a good cleaning and wipe down. I had been lubing the old exposed gear/chain BS pretty regularly and had copious amounts of flung grease everywhere. The new gear housing should keep all that crap back there to a bare minimum now!! Haha. Will just have to wipe off the side that gets direct blow off from the exhaust.
I know the grease and soot problem and this spring I will do the cleanup. I just put a silicone hose on the exhaust this fall to redirect the exhaust away from the blower and FEL, I purchased a 45 degree elbow and cut it off to fit. The grease will be cleaned up as well. I am looking forward to a cleaner unit. So far the hose is holding up good, I will know more when I realy put it to work this coming summer when I start brush hogging the back fields. We don't have a NAPA here so the last time I used some old scrap tires I have around here cutting the pieces from the side wall. This has gotten me a couple of seasons out of the pieces. I will cut some more when the snow is off my scrap tire pile.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Interesting. Waiting to see how the conversion goes, but that doesn't mean we are hoping you break another chain. Can you post photo's of the new gear box as it came just for our information?

Thanks....
called dealer about bushing and he is adamant the bushing is not needed. I also questioned him on the price as I look on the JD Parts site and find the box for $138.30. He said he will look into it, I will probably stop in and show him the WEB page when I finish my Dentist appointment this morning. (Edit) Sorry they are upside down, it doesn't seem to matter which way I hold this iPhone with the camera button on the left or the right, the pictures post upside down.
IMG_1550.JPG
IMG_1549.JPG
IMG_1547.JPG
IMG_1546.JPG
IMG_1545.JPG

Reactions: tj1 and etcallhome

·
Registered
61 Posts
called dealer about bushing and he is adamant the bushing is not needed. I also questioned him on the price as I look on the JD Parts site and find the box for $138.30. He said he will look into it, I will probably stop in and show him the WEB page when I finish my Dentist appointment this morning. View attachment 727219 View attachment 727220 View attachment 727222 View attachment 727223 View attachment 727224
called dealer about bushing and he is adamant the bushing is not needed. I also questioned him on the price as I look on the JD Parts site and find the box for $138.30. He said he will look into it, I will probably stop in and show him the WEB page when I finish my Dentist appointment this morning. (Edit) Sorry they are upside down, it doesn't seem to matter which way I hold this iPhone with the camera button on the left or the right, the pictures post upside down. View attachment 727219 View attachment 727220 View attachment 727222 View attachment 727223 View attachment 727224

·
Registered
61 Posts
My dealer said the same thing, the tech even can out and said if you have a metal impeller do not use the bushing, I did the install last week, part number auc16953 and the 4 bolts I paid 121.00 for mine but that was with a preseason parts discount, no more vibration, noise or oily mess and the wobble sprockets and bearings are history, John Deere gets a gold star for the updated gearbox and the good price. been using these 47/54 blowers for over 25 years and finally a improvement

·
Premium Member
13,513 Posts
called dealer about bushing and he is adamant the bushing is not needed. .
Did he say WHY? I think the reason there is confusion is the back of the steel and poly impellers have a similar protrusion. Meaning, if the bushing is required for one you would think it is required for the other.

Reactions: tj1 and etcallhome

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I just returned from the dealer with a $64.34 refund and an explination on the Bushing not being needed. They say the Bushing was required with a different version of the gear box also listed on the drawing. The new cheaper box has the bushing built in and I can see it on my box. He also thinks JD has a price mis-print and the price will be going up to near the price of the previous boxes. Hopefully not, but you never know on JD prices.

·
Premium Member
13,513 Posts
I just returned from the dealer with a $64.34 refund and an explination on the Bushing not being needed. They say the Bushing was required with a different version of the gear box also listed on the drawing. The new cheaper box has the bushing built in and I can see it on my box. He also thinks JD has a price mis-print and the price will be going up to near the price of the previous boxes. Hopefully not, but you never know on JD prices.
Thank you for the info. That could very well be true. While the parts illustrations does show both gear boxes, it makes no distinction on whether or not the bushing is only required for one of them. Also, to the best of my knowledge we have never seen an actual photo of the previous gear box (P/N AUC11644). So there is no way to confirm if it looks different where it mates to the blower housing.

BTW... here is a new development... I was just checking on the status of the two gear case part numbers in JD Parts and sometime within the past couple days the older more expensive gear case has been discontinued. It's status now shows as:

That actually makes more sense. I suspect the parts illustrations will also be updated shortly to show AUC16953 as the only gear box part number.

Reactions: tj1 and mkaiser

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have the older PN AUC11644. Was $260 out the door. That definitely needed the bushing.

odd they already have a new upgrade to the “upgrade”??
??‍♂

Reactions: tj1

·
Premium Member
13,513 Posts
I have the older PN AUC11644. Was $260 out the door. That definitely needed the bushing.

odd they already have a new upgrade to the “upgrade”??
I wish someone had a photo of the front of AUC11644 so we could see exactly what the difference is that makes the bushing necessary.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Well, I’m not taking mine apart again!! Hahaha.
I have a video of the bushing install but it won’t let me link it here.

The bushing is essentially a space keeper between the back of the impeller unit and where the gear box unit mounts to the rear blower wall.

Let’s see if I can describe this.

The bushing (item 24) in diagram, on MY part number 11644, fills the little gap created by 3 alignment pins in the front of the gear box. Those pins fit into the 3 holes previously occupied by the original bearing/flange set up

Those pins seemed to create a gap between the gear box front bearing race and the rear wall of the blower, and more important, the plastic impeller itself. That spacer helps keep the impeller in a proper alignment to the rear of the wall and gear box.

·
Premium Member
13,513 Posts

The bushing (item 24) in diagram, on MY part number 11644, fills the little gap created by 3 alignment pins in the front of the gear box. Those pins fit into the 3 holes previously occupied by the original bearing/flange set up

Those pins seemed to create a gap between the gear box front bearing race and the rear wall of the blower, and more important, the plastic impeller itself. That spacer helps keep the impeller in a proper alignment to the rear of the wall and gear box.
That’s the strange part, the other gear box has the same alignment pins in the front and creates a similar gap.

I would love to see your video. What seems to be the problem? How large is the video file?

·
Premium Member
4,610 Posts
Well, I’m not taking mine apart again!! Hahaha.
I have a video of the bushing install but it won’t let me link it here.

The bushing is essentially a space keeper between the back of the impeller unit and where the gear box unit mounts to the rear blower wall.

View attachment 727285
View attachment 727284
In your pic if that's the spacer that the parts say is required, I can see why it is not necessary with the newer box and the steel impeller. I am also going to do the change and have the unit on my workbench right now and I'm waiting for the bushing and a little warmer weather.. I too would love to see the video as JG stated.
I can't read the oil requirements, do you know what you filled the unit with? The paint has completely filled in the numbers and I don't want to remove the paint! Thanks,, I do see a W but that's it. no instructions or anything with the unit as mentioned in this thread. Thanks Jeff

·
Premium Member
13,513 Posts
In your pic if that's the spacer that the parts say is required, I can see why it is not necessary with the newer box and the steel impeller. I am also going to do the change and have the unit on my workbench right now and I'm waiting for the bushing and a little warmer weather.. I too would love to see the video as JG stated.
I can't read the oil requirements, do you know what you filled the unit with? The paint has completely filled in the numbers and I don't want to remove the paint! Thanks,, I do see a W but that's it. no instructions or anything with the unit as mentioned in this thread. Thanks Jeff
The manual lists GL-5 80W-90.

·
Premium Member
4,610 Posts
The manual lists GL-5 80W-90.

where did you get the manual? I tried to find that with no luck.. If you can provide me a link I would be very grateful.. Thanks for the oil numbers. Jeff

·
Registered
2 Posts
No, it will wait, I am physically disabled and things have to proceed on a slow time table. I don't sell on E-Bay or any other platform, I hate dealing with people as they try and get things for next to nothing and complain about it. Besides the parts are junk and everyone here knows that. The large sprocket came from my original 1995 vintage blower when the new blower sprocket stripped all the teeth right after the warranty expired. If someone wanted the parts and was willing to pick them up and I didn't have to deal with shipping, they could have them.
It was just opinions. You do you. Your not the only one disabled. Hating on eBay. Lol
Someone throws some encouragement and you shell out bitterness. Lol
Good Luck

·
Premium Member
13,513 Posts
where did you get the manual? I tried to find that with no luck.. If you can provide me a link I would be very grateful.. Thanks for the oil numbers. Jeff
I read the on-line Owner's Manual on the JD website. The link is below, it's pretty much the same for the 47 and 54-inch blowers. This is the later S/N manual that includes information for the enclosed gear case.

·
Premium Member
4,610 Posts
I read the on-line Owner's Manual on the JD website. The link is below, it's pretty much the same for the 47 and 54-inch blowers. This is the later S/N manual that includes information for the enclosed gear case.

Thanks, I was just on the site.. Thank you very much. Guess I wasn't looking at the right stuff, I was looking for anything on the case itself.. I even went into the JD parts for newer attachments,, didn't see this only the darned chain and sprocket illustrations.... Live and learn I guess.. Jeff

Reactions: jgayman

·
Premium Member
13,513 Posts
Thanks, I was just on the site.. Thank you very much. Guess I wasn't looking at the right stuff, I was looking for anything on the case itself.. I even went into the JD parts for newer attachments,, didn't see this only the darned chain and sprocket illustrations.... Live and learn I guess.. Jeff
You have to watch which manual you view. On the 47 and 54-inch blowers, the new gear case is only mentioned in the manuals for the higher serial number ranges.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
It was just opinions. You do you. Your not the only one disabled. Hating on eBay. Lol
Someone throws some encouragement and you shell out bitterness. Lol
Good Luck
Nothing bitter about it, just facts on dealing with e-bay and other selling sites. I listed my boat several yaers ago and after a summer of dealing with prospective buyers, I pulled the listing. My son or grandchildren will now inherit the craft as it just is not worth the hassle of dealing with tire kickers and other site seers. If you want the old parts and want to come to northern Michigan in the spring, you can have them, otherwise they go out to the road in the trash.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts