Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow you folks have some serious cold headed your way, would be interested in comments on life at -50 wind chill or I am guessing -20 real temp? Not sure I have ever felt such cold, nor do I wish too.
Hope the vortex goes back where it belongs soon and let us know how you are doing and operate in such temps......

·
Registered
12,264 Posts
We are looking at -20 wind chill temps on Wednesday here in upper southern Illinois. That's gonna be colder than I can ever remember. I can't even imagine what double that cold will be like further north.
So,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,you live up north down south :lol:

But seriously, we do have some real cold coming to the upper mid west, we're supposed to get a taste of that here in the NE but not quite that bad.

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
We are looking at a high of -14 on Wednesday. I remember working midnights when the windchill was -40. That was miserable to be out in. You couldn't be out long. There was just no way to keep your hands warm. Hard to breathe.

Windchill during the day time is not a real accurate measurement. Windchill is actually factored during a clear night at 5 feet high. It's more an estimate anyway. Over time I think we've turned it in fact when it really isn't. That said, anything below zero I don't care for!

·
Premium Member
3,227 Posts
Sure glad we don't get that weather here in the the Great Northwest just below Canada. It gets cold here but 11 below(not wind chill) is about it and that is cold enough for me. Haven't had anything near that yet this winter! This storm is going to miss us and slam you guys better hang on and keep your powder dry! I don't count wind chill that gets 20-45 below zero off and on! windchill21.gif

·
Registered
10 Posts
Pic is our ambient temp taken in our car in Dec 2016 when temp was actual -27...I don’t remember what wind chill was. In my job I worked with people all across the globe and I would often get asked “how cold does it feel when it’s -30 below”. My response was always “ imagine emptying a chest freezer, taking off all of your clothes and getting inside, bring in a portable fan, turn it on, close the lid.....and you wouldn’t feel nearly as cold as -50 windchill”.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
Yep,this is why we need to build a wall on the north border to keep that cold air in Canada.:lol:

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
We are looking at -32deg weds morning with a high of -21deg!:bigthumb:

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
That's -27 Wednesday night. Come on Saturday!

Capture11.JPG

·
Premium Member
3,227 Posts
Our weather for the next week is low of 19F to a high of 35F and 50% chance of snow on Friday. I am 50 miles below Canada in the middle of Washington State. Nothing special in the next week but that chance of snow. That is good cause everything is better except my dervicqulitus is now out of control and getting harder to walk? I will give it a few more days then I will need to see the doc if it keeps getting worse? Hoping I did not get a blow out feels like I have been kicked in the groin. Not the best feeling to have for 4-5 days!

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
I have seen -20 twice in my life. I remember I had a new big block pickup the last time, thank God. I probably would not have gone to work if I had to drive a hoopty. I remember when I stopped for fuel the gas pumps displays were just black and you didn't know how much fuel you pumped until you went inside.

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
Wow you folks have some serious cold headed your way, would be interested in comments on life at -50 wind chill or I am guessing -20 real temp? Not sure I have ever felt such cold, nor do I wish too.
Hope the vortex goes back where it belongs soon and let us know how you are doing and operate in such temps......
I seems like these extremely cold weather events are becoming more "normal" than in the past. In central Iowa we had a crazy cold October/November and nearly tropical December. Whether it's global climate change or swings in the weather patterns, it's getting crazier the longer we ride the blue marble.

When it's this cold you just hunker down, limit outside time when possible and if you have to go outside, be smart about it; e.g. layers, limit exposed skin, and more layers. As I get older, I don't mind wearing a balaclava, and ski goggles when I have to be out side, especially when the wind is blowing. I still haven't found a good pair of outside gloves tho...either their bulky and restrict blood flow or thin and cold. Gotta come up with something different.

·
Premium Member
3,227 Posts
I have great gloves my Daughter made them for me. There Beaver Pelt on the outside insulated and Coyote Fur on the inside and go up to my Forearm. Super warm but it needs to be super cold to wear them! I have a real coyote fur bomber hat too that will cook your head if it is not real cold. My boots are good to -85 below zero and now I have a heater inside my sorta open cab so it has to be real nasty out!!!

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
Yep,this is why we need to build a wall on the north border to keep that cold air in Canada.:lol:
At least you had the good sense not to say "and Canada will pay for it":laugh: It has been years since we have been below zero here and you can have it. Although it was a dry cold!:lol:

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
This week's forecast. Only tomorrow is bad, after that just average.
We usually get 1-2 weeks where the high temp is in the negatives. Haven't yet and I'm ok with that.
As for dealing with it, to me, once it gets below 0*, there really isn't a difference in ambient temp. However, it doesn't take much of a breeze to make that wind chill a major factor!

I still say I'll take -10* with no wind over 20* with a 10 mph wind...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,567 Posts
At least you had the good sense not to say "and Canada will pay for it":laugh: It has been years since we have been below zero here and you can have it. Although it was a dry cold!:lol:
Got a telephone call from my Grandson last night; he's on assignment in Northern Minnesota, right next to the Canadian border. He said the wind chill there was something like minus the North Pole times ten. He said he took his sweater and was all bundled up for his trip to the Ludefish festival. He didn't call it a dry cold, though, I think he called it a dry death.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Mail postponed here too.
Clinics/hospitals are closed except for emergency visits.
Schools/daycares all closed.
It was -32* at 0730 this morning ambient temp. With the light 3-5 mph breeze, the puts windchill in the -45* range.
SO, there is a 100* swing between in my house and outside. Insulation and furnace are earning their keep today!

·
Registered
7,931 Posts
The wind cuts through you. Layers are very important. I also found that deep breathing, like while shoveling deep snow when its -14 air temp and wind chill was -45 to -55 was almost a burning feeling in your lungs. The worst part is the wind on your bare face as it's bitter cold real quick. It's now warmed up to -8 and the wind chill is only about -22 to -28, which seems much better than the -55 it was this morning. I am going back out to plow here again in a couple of hours. The wind is causing drifts very quickly and they are dense, so if someone drives into the drift, they are stuck for sure.

Between the moisture wicking layers I wear, I have been surprisingly comfortable in a Duluth Trading Shirt Jacket outside even today. But I have been shoveling and carrying bags of animal feed, etc. I wear the ear muffs which wrap around behind your head and they work the best for me. If my ears are warm, I can tolerate the cold better.

I like to wear these light weight gloves in my cab whenever I operate my tractor. I got into the habit of wearing them whenever I am using it so I leave them hanging on the steering wheel with my ear protection when I park it. Well, the gloves are slightly better than bare hands in this cold, but not much. I had them on when I got out of the cab and I could feel the cold air coming right through the gloves.

I was out in the worst of it at about 4am and was surprised how severe the cold felt on my face. I need to plow an area in the backyard for my K9 kids because squatting into 2 feet plus of snow has got to be more invigorating than most would like. Kind of like that joke about relieving oneself in the snow, "Man, that snow is cold.......and it's deep too."...................:laugh::lol:

1 - 20 of 46 Posts