Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed in the latest Harbor Freight catalog that they now offer their "Mechanic Cart" or something like that in orange, yellow and green in addition to red, blue and black.

I wonder what market they are targeting?:dunno:

Registered
I noticed in the latest Harbor Freight catalog that they now offer their "Mechanic Cart" or something like that in orange, yellow and green in addition to red, blue and black.

I've wondered the same thing. Harbor Freight has really shaken up the toolbox business, seems like everybody and their brother is now offering some pretty nice boxes at fairly reasonable prices. Back when I was in the market about the only real option was Craftsman.

Was in Sam's Club the other day and saw these, looked nice but I really don't have a need for it or a place to put it now. :banghead:

Tool Box

Registered
I still like my Kennedy Tool Boxes I have had since 1974 when I became a Electrician in my younger years. They have held up well and I see on EBay they are still worth what I paid for them all these years even used! They were even USA Made! View attachment 654726
I have you beat. My Dad was a tool & dye maker. I have his Machinist's work bench tool box. It has to be at least 75 years old if not older. I still have it & I have it with his specialized tools in it just the way he gave it to me. And I'm not going to tell you how old I am but I did own a T Rex as a pet at one time. I love my Dad's Kennedy & all that's in it. I have it on my work bench & I just love it & all that is in it.

Registered

As with almost everything Chinese, they throw enough noodles on the wall and some will stick. Their higher end carts & tool boxes are not bad at all. I think they are trying to chase some of the business that Mack tools & the others have because those companies offer some custom colors & specialized graphics.

If you think about it- a young wrench twister can't really afford a Mack or a Snap-on box with custom paint & graphics. SO I'm guessing the HF people are hearing customers asking for those new colors. Just my guess. I kind of like the lime & yellow. But if I were to buy one, I would go with the more traditional Red. And their red is a nice shade. Just like the color of the flames out of the dragon's mouth.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Well, if you have noticed over the last 10+ years, Snap-On has been coming in a dozen colors, plus all sorts of 'special edition' boxes. So I guess they are just keeping up with the Jones's. :mocking:
I haven't paid much attention. I use an old John Deere first generation tool box from the mid seventies.

Registered
I've wondered the same thing. Harbor Freight has really shaken up the toolbox business, seems like everybody and their brother is now offering some pretty nice boxes at fairly reasonable prices. Back when I was in the market about the only real option was Craftsman.

Was in Sam's Club the other day and saw these, looked nice but I really don't have a need for it or a place to put it now. :banghead:

Tool Box
:think: i think that i have seen some where that style of a tool box-being offered by JD BACK SOME YRS AGO. darn caps button:lol:

and they(jd )wanted way more ..................than that price at Sams is now. i got enough tool boxes fro my life time left here on the ole planet.
:hide: but i would like another cart like that-yelp.:lol::munch:

Registered
Just about everyone is offering multiple colors.
When I first looked at getting a bigger box a few years back, the US General box only came in red, while even the Masterforce from Menards came in a couple colors. Craftsman had just added a couple colors to their lineup as well.
They waited long enough to offer them, but now they added more colors than the others in the mid priced box market offer.

I can say, after owning one for about 6 years, that US General would be my first stop for a tool box. Ive worked around Snap-On, MAC, Matco, etc, and until you get into their mid line/high end boxes, the quality is the same, and they are CONSIDERABLY more expensive. Yes, the US General is made in China. If thats a problem for you, so be it.
When I was shopping, the US General bottom and top box, 42" wide, was about half the cost of just the bottom box of the Snap-on. It was a few hundred cheaper than a cheap Craftsman.
I cant comment on pricing today, though last time I looked, they didnt look like they had gone up much, and if you can catch one of the rare sales they offer on them, they are still a great bargain.
Honestly, its one of the only tool related things I like from Harbor Freight.
For a home shop, youd be hard pressed to find a better value. I know a couple guys using them professionally.
They spend the money they saved on the box on tools to fill it.

Premium Member
I can say, after owning one for about 6 years, that US General would be my first stop for a tool box. Ive worked around Snap-On, MAC, Matco, etc, and until you get into their mid line/high end boxes, the quality is the same, and they are CONSIDERABLY more expensive. Yes, the US General is made in China. If thats a problem for you, so be it.
I agree completely. I have one of the 42" bottom cabinets and used to have one of the 5-drawer tool carts (gave it to my brother). I just can't imagine a better value for home use. I got mine on sale AND was able to use a coupon. It is way better than the $800 Craftsman boxes a bought a few years prior. I've since attached one of the hanging end drawer sections to it. I keep the top empty and use it as a pseudo work bench. I kept looking for something to be wrong with it but the fit and finish was just incredible. I swear the INSIDE of the tool cabinet has a better paint job than the outside of a lot of more expensive cabinets.

I saw a review on one of the YouTube channels where someone compared the 5-drawer tool cart to a virtually identical Blue Point unit from Snap-On. They were so similar they could have come out of the same factory. The US General unit was $150 after coupon and the Blue Point was over $900.

Premium Member
HARBOR FREIGHT KILLER?? (72" Husky -vs- US General) Home Depot -vs- Harbor Freight

[h=1]HARBOR FREIGHT KILLER?? (72" Husky -vs- US General) Home Depot -vs- Harbor Freight[/h]
HARBOR FREIGHT KILLER?? (72 Husky -vs- US General) Home Depot -vs- Harbor Freight - YouTube

This 14-minute video shows the difference between comparable HF and HD toolboxes. After watching this I know I'd be buying the the HF over the HD in a heartbeat, and I never expected to say that about anything from Horrible Fright.

Registered

Senior GTT Super Slacker
Thanks mjncad. :thumbup1gif:

Reactions: PJR832 and mjncad

Registered
Yes, but........

I bought a HF tool box (drawers and shelves, don't know the model number) that was on sale a couple of weeks ago for $184. One of the spring loaded clips that hold the drawers closed was broken IN THE BOX. What to do? Go to the trouble of returning it (no way my wife and I could lift it back into the truck)? Otherwise it appears to be OK so I'm going to go with it, but I'm always skeptical of HF stuff.

I also have one of their wet saws for tiling (the $279 model that I bought on sale). Works OK, difficult to adjust, but the main attraction was that I could ruin two of them for the cost of one DeWalt. I'm still using it, but also resisting the temptation to get something better.

Bought a small drill from them some time back - absolutely useless: couldn't penetrate the fiberglass deck on my sailboat.

I like their smaller hand tools and they have a lot of neat gadgets.

Premium Member
I bought a HF tool box (drawers and shelves, don't know the model number) that was on sale a couple of weeks ago for $184. One of the spring loaded clips that hold the drawers closed was broken IN THE BOX. What to do? Go to the trouble of returning it (no way my wife and I could lift it back into the truck)? Otherwise it appears to be OK so I'm going to go with it, but I'm always skeptical of HF stuff.
While I'm not sure you could readily get a replacement part for a lot of the tool boxes available today, HF is particularly lacking when it comes to parts for anything they sell. There is pretty much nothing available.

Bought a small drill from them some time back - absolutely useless: couldn't penetrate the fiberglass deck on my sailboat.
Did you try installing a drill bit on it? (sorry, couldn't resist). :)

This is one area that Northern Tool is a bit better. They sell parts for most of the tools and equipment that they carry. I needed a power switch for one of their el-cheapo drill presses a few years ago and all I had to do was call them and the part was on the way.

Registered

I bought one of their smaller boxes when the store opened here and had their grand opening. I just wanted it to keep a few tools where I park the tractor instead of running back and forth where all my tools are in the garage (didn't work BTW). The box is pretty well made, my only complaint is the drawers slide TOO easily, depending on where I have it they either won't stay open or won't stay closed. Thought they would tighten up over time but so far they have not. :banghead:

While I'm not sure you could readily get a replacement part for a lot of the tool boxes available today, HF is particularly lacking when it comes to parts for anything they sell. There is pretty much nothing available.

This is one area that Northern Tool is a bit better. They sell parts for most of the tools and equipment that they carry. I needed a power switch for one of their el-cheapo drill presses a few years ago and all I had to do was call them and the part was on the way.
This was one of the biggest things I liked about Sears Craftsman tools in the old days. You always got a detailed parts list with everything, and though their parts were high you could always get them. Don't know of anyone today you can say this about.

I like Northern but their closest store to me is at least 60 miles, and their shipping costs are a killer. Sure wish they would build locally as HF did.

Registered
I still like my Kennedy Tool Boxes I have had since 1974 when I became a Electrician in my younger years. They have held up well and I see on EBay they are still worth what I paid for them all these years even used! They were even USA Made! View attachment 654726
I have 2 Kennedy roller boxes, and some other Kennedy boxes. I got all my stuff used.

They are out there in the used market for a relatively decent price. Check with the Snap-On man and other of the tool box truck guys. They get them as trade ins at time. Also watch Craigslist and the newspaper, lots of widows out there with tool boxes that their recently deceased husband had. I bought one from such widow for $200 full of Toolmaker tools.

I was in the Tool and Die business for over 30 years. In most Tool shops if you had anything other than a Kennedy or Gerstner wooden tool box you were mercilessly hounded as a hack with a greasy mechanics box. Even Snap-On boxes were looked down on as "Greasy Mechanic" stuff. I felt sorry for some of the younger guys with a craftsman tool box that was all they could afford when starting out.

Lots of Toolmakers either rightly or wrongly think they are end all be all of all things that are made with metal. They are very protective of their trade and job. Just to give you an idea when I was a young apprentice I had to change the belt on a band saw to adjust the speed of the blade. The saw was up close to a wall and it was hard to bend over and around to get at the back of it. So I sat down on the floor and slide up next to it and started changing the belt. One of the Journeymen Toolmakers spotted this and he tore into me. "What are you doing? Grubbing around on the floor like a S***y Plumber! If you want to be a Toolmaker get off the floor!" It really bothered him.

Most Toolmakers are fussy people and they take good care of their stuff so used its most always in good shape.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts