Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

Have been reading the forum for a while and there's a lot of great information in it.

I had difficulties finding durability and long term reliability information for 1025r.

I've a very special opportunity to buy a clean looking JD 1025r with 800hrs, bucket and mowing 60" deck for $6k.
What is a reasonable life expectancy for those tractors before major engine/transmission/etc rework needed?

I also have an opportunity to buy for almost the same price a BX2670 with 85hrs also w. loader and 60" mower deck. Super clean.

Which one would you get and why?

I've 3 acres to mow that also needs clearing out of overgrown shrub, some leveliling, grading work to be done. Some bucket snow removal from a shortish driveway.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
598 Posts
Both really under priced, I agree, almost has to be a scam. Because of the lower hours I’d get the Kubota if these prices are real. If it were me I’d buy them both a sell one.

·
Premium Member
14,734 Posts
Unless you know the person selling these items or you can see these items,, sounds like a scam to me..

Both are way under priced.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Apologies, I should have explained the price aspect.
Those tractors were offered in lieu of long standing debt to a buddy of mine. He already has a nice tractor but knows I've been drooling over his, so he extended the offer to me.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess what I'm asking is this.

My tractor situation is, I've Simplicity Conquest 23hp with Vanguard engine. 450hrs on a clock.
Those engines are expected to last 1,500hrs without major rework.

My concern is, what is an average expected hours longevity for what appears to be an either lightly used, or non-abused, Yanmar on 1025r? With 800hrs on a clock, am I also only 700hrs away from a major engine service? How about transmission?

I've heard Kubota is expected to last many 1,000s hours, but I can't find 1025r data.

Is also Kubota 2670 only advantage over 1025r the hours on the clock in this situation?
I've watched many Messick and Tom's videos and I'm really confused in which one is expected to be better.

·
Premium Member
9,187 Posts
Apologies, I should have explained the price aspect.
Those tractors were offered in lieu of long standing debt to a buddy of mine. He already has a nice tractor but knows I've been drooling over his, so he extended the offer to me.

So your buddy that owes you $6K has how many tractors he likely could afford to buy while still in debt to, but not paying you?

Bet there is a loan on both tractors.

I wouldn't consider either if they are financed.

As for the tractors. Both are good machines. Which one do you like.

You didn't say if the JD had the auto connect deck or not, and that would only apply if you were installing/removing it often.

As for the hours & longevity - it all boils down to how well it was taken care of and serviced. I wouldn't be afraid of a well cared for 800 hour machine.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
IMHO, 800 or 1500 hours on a Yanmar is of no real concern-these motors much like the Kubota will run trouble free for a long time with good regular maintenance and quality oil and filters.

I’d want to know the use and maintenance history of them both before trying to make any decisions about which to get. The Deere could have been maintained meticulously for those 800 hours and the Kubota abused like a rental for its 85-you never know.

·
Premium Member
9,187 Posts
I've heard Kubota is expected to last many 1,000s hours, but I can't find 1025r data.
"heard" isn't data.

The Yanmar diesel engine is every bit as good as the Kubota engine.

Properly care for and serviced, both will give thousands of hours of reliable service.

Hard to believe that there isn't and data on the Yanmar engine.....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Re: financing on a purchase

Having just purchased a used 1025r with financing on it, this can be handled safely for everyone with transparency. My seller told me about the financing, shared the account number and contact information and approved of me calling the lender.

I contacted the lender, confirmed payoff and wire instructions and explained that I was buying the equipment and would wire the funds next day. Once payment was confirmed, I paid the seller the balance of the asking price in cash.

It did take a little longer but was worth it.

·
Premium Member
9,187 Posts

Having just purchased a used 1025r with financing on it, this can be handled safely for everyone with transparency. My seller told me about the financing, shared the account number and contact information and approved of me calling the lender.

I contacted the lender, confirmed payoff and wire instructions and explained that I was buying the equipment and would wire the funds next day. Once payment was confirmed, I paid the seller the balance of the asking price in cash.

Just based on normal hours, the JD could possibly have a balance around or less than $6k. The Kubota probably has a substantial balance due.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Did you find this "special opportunity" in Craigslist?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Ignore my post above. Loaded the thread, let it sit, and others posted before I did.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22,730 Posts

The key is to find out if it is financed or not before you make a transaction. Since there are is no title work for tractors you are on your own.

Guy buys a tractor for cash. Boy...I got a great deal! 2 months later he has lawyers knocking on his door or a repo truck picking it up.

This really isn’t much different than our member Tim who ended up buying a stolen tractor at an auction...

We Bought A Stolen Tractor

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So your buddy that owes you $6K has how many tractors he likely could afford to buy while still in debt to, but not paying you?
Not quite. My buddy loaned money to the seller ages ago. The seller does not have money to pay back and it came to "pay back or else..." between the two of them.
The seller wants to make things right and, since he has two tractors almost identical in function, they somehow agreed that the seller will give up one of these tractors for $6K.
I'm extended the offer.

I understand the seller bought Kubota first, but then realized it can't take a backhoe. So bought JD but never installed the backhoe and never sold the Kubota either. So Kubota kind of sat there in the barn for the past 3 yrs or so.

I know it's a steal either way and because of that I don't want to go an inspect the heck out of them as that would probably upset everybody even more. But at the same time I'd rather pick a better option.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The key is to find out if it is financed or not before you make a transaction. Since there are is no title work for tractors you are on your own.

Guy buys a tractor for cash. Boy...I got a great deal! 2 months later he has lawyers knocking on his door or a repo truck picking it up.

This really isn’t much different than our member Tim who ended up buying a stolen tractor at an auction...

We Bought A Stolen Tractor
Coaltrain, this is exactly why I chose to pay off the loan directly with JD Finance (in my case) rather than risking it. These were nice people but you never know what's in someone's head. I paid off the tractor and then paid them the balance in cash, all same day. To be extra safe, I had them sign a bill of sale for everything since there's no title or anything on tractors.

Mike

·
Registered
22,730 Posts
Coaltrain, this is exactly why I chose to pay off the loan directly with JD Finance (in my case) rather than risking it. These were nice people but you never know what's in someone's head. I paid off the tractor and then paid them the balance in cash, all same day. To be extra safe, I had them sign a bill of sale for everything since there's no title or anything on tractors.

Mike
You did it right. But I wonder how many people buy used tractors from private parties without ever checking to see if it is financed.....

·
Registered
22,730 Posts
Not quite. My buddy loaned money to the seller ages ago. The seller does not have money to pay back and it came to "pay back or else..." between the two of them.
The seller wants to make things right and, since he has two tractors almost identical in function, they somehow agreed that the seller will give up one of these tractors for $6K.
I'm extended the offer.

I understand the seller bought Kubota first, but then realized it can't take a backhoe. So bought JD but never installed the backhoe and never sold the Kubota either. So Kubota kind of sat there in the barn for the past 3 yrs or so.

I know it's a steal either way and because of that I don't want to go an inspect the heck out of them as that would probably upset everybody even more. But at the same time I'd rather pick a better option.

I know I don’t know all the details but this gets to be sounding more fishy as we go. Guy can afford not 1 but 2 $15k+ tractors but doesn’t have $6k to pay off a debt?

·
Premium Member
9,187 Posts
They are both good tractors.

Both are easily worth the $6k and more.

I would inspect both of them, take pictures of the serial numbers and definitely ask about any financing on both machines. Just be polite, but you need to know you are getting a free and clear tractor.

If a backhoe is not on your list, both tractors are still on the table.

If the JD has the auto connect or drive over deck and you will be installing & removing it frequently or your age / physical condition would make difficult to manually handle a mower deck, that would be a plus for the JD.

Look at both loaders. The 1025R should have the JDQA loader bucket, making it real simple to just drop the bucket and or swap to pallet forks. Check out the Kubota bucket. Is it SSQA or pinned on.

If the Kubota bucket is pinned on, then that rules out any simple changeover for other attachments. I know, because when I bought my Kubota I didn't look and eventually it cost me to convert it to SSQA.

Do you know anything about either or both of the local dealers? That could be a factor as well. The reason I ended up with a Kubota was simply because the JD dealer where I lived wouldn't give me the time of day. One way to find out is take the serial numbers to each of them and ask if they can check if there is a note on the machine and see how helpful they are.

Both are good machines. Pick the one you like the best (if nothing like a finance balance rules one or the other out).

1 - 20 of 34 Posts