Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am kind of kicking back and forth my local dealer has a very slightly used 75 hours 2017 1025r TLB I been looking at. I'm waiting for the CFO to give approval. I want to start a small business based around the tractor and a few attachments. I have great full time job but I want to have my own company. I have worked many years as a heavy equipment operator and think a 1025 tlb could serve in a niche market. I was looking at a 1.7 ton mini ex before and feel the 1025 is way more versatile

My question is would you get the used 1025 it was a trade in for a 2025 that's why the low hours or get a new 1025. I am not thrilled with the new rops nor do I like the stabilizer locks. Never had a machine with them before seams like something to take off to me I don't plan on leaving my backhoe in long term storage.

Any thought would be welcome Thanks

·
Premium Member
13,412 Posts
My questions would be this: The 2017 should still carry remaining factory warranty, so what is the price difference between new and the 2017?

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
My questions would be this: The 2017 should still carry remaining factory warranty, so what is the price difference between new and the 2017?
Good point on warranty, but doesn't using it in a business changes the warranty terms? Zero percent financing sure makes a good case for new. Decisions, decisions.:dunno:

·
Registered
247 Posts
In the grand scheme, probably not a major price diff. The plus for an 18 is 1) longer warantee 2) knowing it was treated the way you wanted from the start, 3) design upgrades! New style loader, the biggie is the new airfilter on the late 2018s. That saves you $150. Not sure what other changes there were but that was enough for me. 4) There is also the issue of financing and attachment warantees...2 yrs vs 1 yr, another biggie. Inwould think with all the possible plusses, the dealer would be open to a GREAT deal on a used one. If not, go new!

·
Premium Member
13,412 Posts
Good point on warranty, but doesn't using it in a business changes the warranty terms? Zero percent financing sure makes a good case for new. Decisions, decisions.:dunno:
I guess today anything is possible but I'd find it hard to believe that would change the warranty.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
I guess today anything is possible but I'd find it hard to believe that would change the warranty.
When I bought my Scag, it cut the warranty in half it it was used commercially. I've never looked to see what John Deere's commercial use terms are.:dunno:

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
Well I went from a 2017 1025R TLB to a 2018 2025R But I say get 2017 Model. My question is which Backhoe does it Have the 260 or 260B I had a 260 On My 1025R But found I prefer the 260B Backhoe I like the separate seat Better and the Built In step and stabilizer Holders. But I Prefer the Older ROPS design (But My reasoning for the Older ROPS would be because I can use Older style Premium Curtis Cab.) With the newer style ROPS I have to go with the Tektite Cab To Not sacrifice Interior Room Meaning with the Older ROPS I could save about $2,000 Plus on a Cab.

I kind of wish JD didn't mess with there ROPS Design. Also other Have found the Newer style ROPS Interferes with the 3point Hitch when the ROPS are folded.

So in Your Case why not save some money and not worry about the ROPS Possibly interfering if you have to work In a low over head cover area with a 3point Implement since You Plan on doing some Light commercial work with the 1025R:bigthumb:

·
Registered
968 Posts
Sounds like you do not plan on mowing lawns. If you did your first choice would be a zero turn. But it does sound like you plan on some backhoe work. And possibly front end loader. With possibly tilling. Obvious more than a garden tractor.

The one series after having one for quite a few years is a more like a garden tractor on steroids. Generally directed at the home owner. Even JD ads are focused on home owner. Not trying to change your mind but wouldn’t a slighter more capable series two be more fitting for commercial work? In a work area wouldn’t greater ground clearance, more weight, bigger wheels and more powerfull hydraulics be beneficial?

Again not wanting to change your direction but these just seem to be issues I would be entertaining for commercial use.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The quote was 17K for the 2017 1025r. The new 260B has the "home owner" safety features, locking stabilizers, integrated foot step, its own seat, user friendly transport lock pins. Of which I am a fan of non. I have run Backhoes for years and 1 seat is fine the second seat interferes with backhoe operation from the drivers position. The self locking stabilizers :lolol: Luckily they look easy to remove not that big of deal. from what I have seen in pics Kenny's foot step looks to be a lot simpler hence cheaper. The transport / storage lock pins ok not a bad idea to be able to install them from the seat. Yes I know that this machine is geared toward the homeowner so the need to lawyer proof it as much as possible. $150 to upgrade the air cleaner is cheap in the long run compared to $4-6 K for a new machine. To be honest I am kind of leaning toward the used machine because for the same amount of money I can get some attachments. Can any one tell with any certainty the advantage of the new loader arms. Has there been any issues with the 120 loader i.e. welds breaking, arms bending.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
The quote was 17K for the 2017 1025r. The new 260B has the "home owner" safety features, locking stabilizers, integrated foot step, its own seat, user friendly transport lock pins. Of which I am a fan of non. I have run Backhoes for years and 1 seat is fine the second seat interferes with backhoe operation from the drivers position. The self locking stabilizers :lolol: Luckily they look easy to remove not that big of deal. from what I have seen in pics Kenny's foot step looks to be a lot simpler hence cheaper. The transport / storage lock pins ok not a bad idea to be able to install them from the seat. Yes I know that this machine is geared toward the homeowner so the need to lawyer proof it as much as possible. $150 to upgrade the air cleaner is cheap in the long run compared to $4-6 K for a new machine. To be honest I am kind of leaning toward the used machine because for the same amount of money I can get some attachments. Can any one tell with any certainty the advantage of the new loader arms. Has there been any issues with the 120 loader i.e. welds breaking, arms bending.
I have had both the H120 and now the 120R loader. I can honestly say, I really don't notice a difference. :dunno: Contrary, to that statement, I like the 120R more, but probably because it's on a brand new toy. Oops, I mean tractor. :laugh:

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
The latching stabilizers I would think should come in handy, as well as the boom transport locking pins.
These are not the commercial grade machines that it sounds like you are used to.
Commercial backhoe boom and stabilizer hydraulic circuits contain dual pilot check valves designed to prevent the majority of leak downs, aside from internal cylinder leakage.
On a 1025 you may find yourself frequently re raising your backhoe components as you drive around and use the loader.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts