Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to look at a 2009 2320 this morning (most likely pulling the trigger on it) and am wondering if there are any specific items I should inspect? This tractor has only 50 hours on it. With 50 hours it requires all of the normal fluid/filter changes and grease. I have read through the drive shaft threads and noted that greasing the front drive shaft u-joint is critical. Anything else I should be aware of on the tractor or attachments? It has a 62D mower deck, 54" quick hitch snow blower and 200CX loader.

Plan on changing the engine coolant as well since it is most likely 12 years old.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations/suggestions.

·
Administrator
22,655 Posts
They are good solid machines, only driveshaft as you noted is the weak link but you should be OK with only 50 hours on it.

Good luck (y)

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I've got a 2011 2320 with that same exact setup. No problems with mine. You may want to swap out the plastic impeller on the snow blower for the metal one. Makes a huge difference when using it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have been running my 2320 for 8 years now, since it was purchased with only 30 hours on it in 2013. I found out about the drive shaft u-joints here on GTT, and have been doing the 50 hour greasing of the joints since the 115 hour mark. I'm now at 345 hours, and the joints are as good as new with no sign of looseness at either end. As for the machine itself, with proper maintanance, I have had no trouble at all. I will also say that the maintenance is performed above and beyond what the factory has listed in the manuel. Now some may say that I only have 345 hours of use, and so therefore I should not be seeing any problems, but this is a 10 year old machine, not a 2 year old machine. Maintanence is the key to the long working life of any tractor, and the use of it within it's limits. Enjoy your new to you 2320, it sould give you many years of service.

·
Registered
J.D 2038r
523 Posts
Welcome from NW Ct.

·
Premium Member
3,661 Posts
Welcome from Illinois. Nice to have you join us.

·
Registered
2015 2025r 62mmm h130 af10f plow forks 62 disc ripper and a woods m5 Dixie mower
1,194 Posts
Welcome and yeah just the drive shaft issue but it’s a nice tractor let us know if it works out for you

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have a 2010 2320 with a 200CX loader. It has 382 hours on it now and I have had no problems so far (knock on wood). It is actually my wife's tractor that she uses around the farm for various chores and landscaping. We have added a few features including a Mudds grab handle, Ken's bolt-on hooks to the 200CX bucket, a Great Day tool tray (which my wife loves), and recently bought a Westendorf Brush Crusher which has saved us a lot of work. Because we are now crushing brush, I recently installed a 511 Grill Guard since crushed branches could poke a hole in the grill.

I did cut a hole in the side panel to access the front U-joint as recommended by the Forum members. And from what I have read, once you maintain the front and rear U-joints, the tractor is a well-built machine. By the way, I also own a JD 4066R but the 2320 can get into places where the 4066R is just too big.

Ever since it was new it seems like the gears are straining when you drive it in low gear. But other owners on the Forum have told me that "that is the nature of the beast." If there is one complaint that both myself and my wife have it is that the 2320 is tipsy on hills. But since we are aware of that, we just take care that we don't get into situations where that becomes dangerous. Overall we are happy campers with it.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I am going to look at a 2009 2320 this morning (most likely pulling the trigger on it) and am wondering if there are any specific items I should inspect? This tractor has only 50 hours on it. With 50 hours it requires all of the normal fluid/filter changes and grease. I have read through the drive shaft threads and noted that greasing the front drive shaft u-joint is critical. Anything else I should be aware of on the tractor or attachments? It has a 62D mower deck, 54" quick hitch snow blower and 200CX loader.

Plan on changing the engine coolant as well since it is most likely 12 years old.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations/suggestions.
Definitely do a full service on it when you get it. Wonder why, after 12 years, it only has 50 hours? I put that much time on mine in 6 months. That means it has sat unused for long periods, has it been kept out of the weather during those times? Unused can be as bad as overused, tires will tend to dry rot, seals get hard, condensation forms inside the working parts, grease dries out, etc. This generation 2 series are nice machines, I bought a 2009 2520 2-1/2 years ago and it is awesome.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Welcome from central Nebraska. I have a 2010 2320 purchased several years ago with roughly 50 hours on it. We retired a year ago and built a new house on a four acres. I did all the dirt work including landscape, sprinklers and drainage pipe with the 2320, it has never failed me, at times I wish I had more tractor but it always got the job done, it should serve you well. As mentioned in prior posts do the complete maintenance (including greasing the front shaft). Good luck and enjoy!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
An update - there was some incorrect information provided initially. This tractor has 535 hours. I had the same question and concerns as KHodges, why only 50 hours? After reviewing the maintenance log in the manual I found that the gauge had been replaced at 485 hours, plus 50 hours on the new gauge = 535 hours. Tractor looks like it was maintained pretty well. I am basically going to do the 600 hour maintenance so I know where I stand. I don't see anything specific on the front shaft lubrication being done in the past, but will do it now. Thanks for all of the info.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
An update - there was some incorrect information provided initially. This tractor has 535 hours. I had the same question and concerns as KHodges, why only 50 hours? After reviewing the maintenance log in the manual I found that the gauge had been replaced at 485 hours, plus 50 hours on the new gauge = 535 hours. Tractor looks like it was maintained pretty well. I am basically going to do the 600 hour maintenance so I know where I stand. I don't see anything specific on the front shaft lubrication being done in the past, but will do it now. Thanks for all of the info.
Well, it's good to know the time used is more in line, but it's still lightly used. 535 hours, that's 41 hours/year or thereabout. Mine was also lightly usd, had less than 400 hours at 10 years, about the same use as yours. From the appearance of my loader bucket and mower deck I got with the tractor, it looks like it was almost exclusively loader work that was done. I don't see having the hour meter (and I assume the entire cluster) replaced as being unusual. My tachometer went haywire at around 475 hours, and rather than buy a new one, I disassembled mine to see what the problem was, found that the mechanism just needed lubrication and a new cable (which broke when the tach froze up). I've got about 700 hours on it now, no other issues.

Thoroughly check the U-joint on your drive shaft for wear if it has those hours and hasn't been greased. The thing is notoriously difficult to access, I believe you have to replace it from above, by taking up the floorboards and center cover. The 2520 and 2720 both differ from the 2320 in that they don't have the central drive shaft, the engine and transmission cases are attached to each other. The 2320 is more like the next-gen 2025.

Reactions: Gizmo2 and Pigpen

·
Registered
2013 JD2520, 2011 JD3320,
57 Posts
Great little tractor! I really enjoyed mine. Def grease that U-joint and if you’re ever in a freezing environment, keep your eyes on the hour meter. I had two of them stop working because water gets inside the drive cable and freezes and breaks. In some cases, it will mislead people to how many hours the machine has. Hope it serves you well.

·
Registered
226 Posts
In Oct of 13 I bought a 2011 2320 w/269 hrs,It now has 320 hrs on it.I only use it as a snow machine an love it !
Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Automotive tire

Reactions: Gizmo2 and Pigpen

·
Registered
345 Posts
In Oct of 13 I bought a 2011 2320 w/269 hrs,It now has 320 hrs on it.I only use it as a snow machine an love it ! View attachment 820332

Those rear tires look very small for a 2320? Are those stock? Maybe just a funny angle. Or maybe the turfs are smaller than the R4s. Great looking machine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Interested to know what you have for ballast with the 54" snowblower - filled tires and ballast box? If filled tires, only the rear tires? I have seen some comments abut filling the front tires as well.

·
Registered
226 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Heck, the only thing I use for ballast is my FAT AZZ !! :eek::LOL:😂

• Haha
Reactions: Gebada22 and Gizmo2
1 - 19 of 19 Posts