Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a Land Pride RC1548 48" mower for working in the woods on my property, mostly trail cutting of tall weeds.
NOT trying to clear cut acreage here by any means, but also not wanting to take my Toro Zero Turn on the rough trails that I only mow once or twice a year.

Nice & set for I-match compatible as I bought it thru my JD dealer.

Problem?? No rubber or chain guards front or back.
Do I need them? I see some with & many without...
OPINIONS PLEASE!!
& Thanks!!
20150312_145308.jpg 20150312_145732.jpg

·
Registered
675 Posts
Not sure if this is what you are looking for but it looks like this company sells parts for your bush mower.
OEM Parts

Doug

Reactions: Duke Snyder

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
I think it comes down to a question of safety. If you feel safe not having them and taking a chance at potential flying objects then you are good to go. I don't think it left the factory without them.

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
I just picked up a Land Pride RC1548 48" mower for working in the woods on my property, mostly trail cutting of tall weeds.
NOT trying to clear cut acreage here by any means, but also not wanting to take my Toro Zero Turn on the rough trails that I only mow once or twice a year.

Nice & set for I-match compatible as I bought it thru my JD dealer.

Problem?? No rubber or chain guards front or back.
Do I need them? I see some with & many without...
OPINIONS PLEASE!!
& Thanks!!
View attachment 41942 View attachment 41943
About the guards, SO WHAT???????? You don't technically *need* to have guards. I run a Bush hog without guards, and never had a problem. In my opinion, guards create a mulching effect on the clippings. This can damage blades if you are mowing brush.

Just my $0.02

·
Registered
25 Posts
My $0.02

Think it depends a lot on your environment. I picked up a Woods 5' rotary medium duty cutter that didn't have the chain guards, but quickly added them due to my proximity of mowing a field near a couple houses, cars and potentially people. I'm also wiping out brush and saplings on old farm property that hasn't been maintained in many years so bits of metal are always showing up (horse shoes, old farm equipment parts, etc.) I'm also up in coastal Maine and it it's quite rocky so the chances of sending something into a low orbit is not insignificant.

While adding the chains was not cheap I feel a whole lot better knowing that I've taken precautions. If I were out in the woods and clear of people and property and my mowing area has been semi-maintained then I probably wouldn't worry about it.

·
Premium Member
10,174 Posts
A less expensive option to chains is the rubber guards which my 5' Landpride came with. Basically it is 4" baler belt which you can pick up from any TSC / farm equipment store and it is attached with basic carriage bolts. Pretty simple to make.

In areas where there is no one or thing around to damage the rear guard is kinda optional (IMHO).

I prefer to have the front guard on the cutter to prevent stuff from being thrown towards me, especially if I am on a smaller tractor like a 1 series where the operator is closer to the cutter. I'm not as fast as I once was and may not be able to duck in time.....:hide:

Nice looking cutter. Congrats on the find.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I do not have any on my 5' cutter and have seen items come out from under the deck that would have done serious damage had it hit something or worse, someone. They come standard on the new cutter I am getting but if they did not, I would make the investment to have them installed, just my .02

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
My TSC County Line doesn't have them and it will toss branches pretty far if they connect. Mine has an open back as well as a front. I've thought about adding something..

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Opinions GREATLY appreciated!!

I want to thank all of you for your opinions & ideas!!:bigthumb:
Thinking of going to Tractor supply for some 7" wide rubber belting & putting them on before I use it.
It's very clean & no scratches on the paint where the guard would / should have been mounted so I'm guessing it was never there??

Reactions: rtgt and Levi

·
Registered
25 Posts
How did it go?

Wondering if you did the mod to your cutter and if so how it went?

Recently was using my rotary cutter this weekend clearing out brush where trees had been removed. Prior to that an old barn had been in the area and I found four significant metal objects by walking and observing the ground while working. Any one of these would be a significant hazard had I hit them with the cutter and I can only speculate as to what could have happened.

·
Registered
291 Posts
MY Deere 413 was bought from the original owner and it does not have them either. And I am not planning on getting them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts