Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im about to buy a used 48” lawn roller. Ive been kicking around ideas for filling it, decided to either go with sand or concrete. Anyone here have one filled with concrete? What would be the cons of filling it with concrete over sand?

‘17 1025r w/FEL
(2) 80 JD carts
18 JD cart
Land Pride 4’ land plane
Land Pride 1258 tiller
Land Pride FDR 1660
Frontier ss1023 broadcast spreader
Victory EF155 flail mower

·
Registered
306 Posts
As far as weight they will be similar per cubic meter. Sand with the advantage in weight. Sand would be cheaper I’d think to fill. Why not just use water?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As far as weight they will be similar per cubic meter. Sand with the advantage in weight. Sand would be cheaper I’d think to fill. Why not just use water?
I prefer not to use water because it will freeze in winter unless using an anti freeze additive of some sort and also I would rather us something that would help it keep its shape better.

‘17 1025r w/FEL
(2) 80 JD carts
18 JD cart
Land Pride 4’ land plane
Land Pride 1258 tiller
Land Pride FDR 1660

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Do like everyone else does drain the water when your done.

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
I have had a 24" diameter X 36" roller, for over 30 years, that I filled with sand.
It was very easy to do. The roller is always ready for work.

·
Premium Member
13,020 Posts
Do like everyone else does drain the water when your done.
I will be the first to say this method is a major PITA. I have one of the Ohio Steel 52" x 24" that takes 94 gal of water and weighs 920 lb. Each spring I fill it up and then each fall I empty it out. It takes a good while to fill and even longer to empty as it glug-glugs since there is no air inlet. It is also a huge waste of water.

But worse... if you happen to need it before fill time or after empty time you are out of luck. This year we had some visitors drive in out grass and create ruts and unfortunately it occurred AFTER I emptied it for the year. I have a stone gravel driveway and also use the roller to keep the stones nice and smooth.

The other issue with liquid is ALL rollers end up leaking to some extent eventually. Mine has started to seep a bit after 5 years. If a person had filled it with oil or added used anti-freeze you would have a huge mess.

I'm on the verge of just filling mine with sand. Sure that means it will be heavy ALL of the time but I don't see that as an issue. It would be nice to use it year round without worrying about it freezing and cracking open. With all the rain we've had this fall the yard is nice and soft and just right for a good rolling but alas my roller is empty. :-(

SAND.

A 50 lb. bag of play sand is 0.5 cu ft and costs $4.15. My 52" x 24" cylinder is ~13.6 cu ft. So it would take roughly 27 bags of sand to fill which would weight 1350 lb. You could probably get away with filling it less than full to keep the weight around 1000 lbs. That would reduce the number of 50 lb bags down to 20 which would cost $83.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will be the first to say this method is a major PITA. I have one of the Ohio Steel 52" x 24" that takes 94 gal of water and weighs 920 lb. Each spring I fill it up and then each fall I empty it out. It takes a good while to fill and even longer to empty as it glug-glugs since there is no air inlet. It is also a huge waste of water.

But worse... if you happen to need it before fill time or after empty time you are out of luck. This year we had some visitors drive in out grass and create ruts and unfortunately it occurred AFTER I emptied it for the year. I have a stone gravel driveway and also use the roller to keep the stones nice and smooth.

The other issue with liquid is ALL rollers end up leaking to some extent eventually. Mine has started to seep a bit after 5 years. If a person had filled it with oil or added used anti-freeze you would have a huge mess.

I'm on the verge of just filling mine with sand. Sure that means it will be heavy ALL of the time but I don't see that as an issue. It would be nice to use it year round without worrying about it freezing and cracking open. With all the rain we've had this fall the yard is nice and soft and just right for a good rolling but alas my roller is empty. :-(

SAND.

A 50 lb. bag of play sand is 0.5 cu ft and costs $4.15. My 52" x 24" cylinder is ~13.6 cu ft. So it would take roughly 27 bags of sand to fill which would weight 1350 lb. You could probably get away with filling it less than full to keep the weight around 1000 lbs. That would reduce the number of 50 lb bags down to 20 which would cost $83.
Is your roller steel or poly?

‘17 1025r w/FEL
(2) 80 JD carts
18 JD cart
Land Pride 4’ land plane
Land Pride 1258 tiller
Land Pride FDR 1660

·
Premium Member
13,020 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,058 Posts
If you ever need to move the roller a great distance, it would be nice to be able to empty it to reduce the transit weight. This would be possible with sand or water, but not with concrete.

·
Premium Member
13,020 Posts
If you ever need to move the roller a great distance, it would be nice to be able to empty it to reduce the transit weight. This would be possible with sand or water, but not with concrete.
Practically speaking if you need to travel that far you'd be best just to leave/sell it and get a new one later. ;-) Given the time it takes to empty the water out I can't imagine how you would ever empty sand. You can't just pick it up and pour it out. Chances are once sand was in there a while it will have accumulated moisture and won't pour like fresh dry sand. Even filling it through that tiny 1" hole would take a bit of patience.

Just treat the thing like a ballast box - fill it and forget it.

Reactions: Levi and 69project

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I feel confident if i ever needed to move it a long distance that I could get it on my trailer with my 1025r.

‘17 1025r w/FEL
(2) 80 JD carts
18 JD cart
Land Pride 4’ land plane
Land Pride 1258 tiller
Land Pride FDR 1660

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sand won, I stopped at Lowes and bought enough sand to fill it. Its going to be fun putting all sand through a 3/4” hole lol.

‘17 1025r w/FEL
(2) 80 JD carts
18 JD cart
Land Pride 4’ land plane
Land Pride 1258 tiller
Land Pride FDR 1660

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,279 Posts

This is mine and it's filled with sand that's used for sand blasting. My brother and I filled this through that small hole you see in the first pic. Even with the proper tools it took a while. We did this back in the late '80's. You can see the date of the pics, it's been in a while. Sand has never been out and you can also see the dents it makes because of the weight and going over rocks. Also with sand don't leave it sitting in one place for more then a year before moving it. It will develop a flat spot if you don't move it every once in a while. Don't ask how much it weights because I have no idea other then it's heavy.

Attachments

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Filled it up Friday and yesterday. I had bought 26 bags of sand but could only manage to get 22 in it. I used the stock filling hole as Levi did and was surprised at how quickly it filled. It took about an hour to get the first 18 bags in it but yesterday the last four took almost as long. I had a piece if grounding rod I used to stick in the hole and move the sand around. I even drilled another hole on parallel with the stock hole to try to get more in. Drum seems to be all full but for top 1.5-2”. I plan to use the fel to lay it back down to keep from denting it. It has roughly 1100 pounds of sand in it.

‘17 1025r w/FEL
(2) 80 JD carts
18 JD cart
Land Pride 4’ land plane
Land Pride 1258 tiller
Land Pride FDR 1660

1 - 14 of 14 Posts