Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found an old thread on here back from 2015 about using used antifreeze in rear tires.

It seems like everyone was against it in the thread. I too have a source of used antifreeze and have used diluted antifreeze in rear tractor tires all my adult life as has my father and grandfather. It’s never been an issue. We have spilled more antifreeze on the ground from draining radiators and flushing radiators than we ever have spilled from a tire puncture.

Windshield washer fluid cost about $1.49 a gallon and I have to drive 200 miles to get it. That would amount to $200 plus the trip. Washer fluid still has methanol in it and is poisonous but just isn’t sweet tasting.

Anyone using new or used antifreeze in their rear tires?

Reactions: Herminator

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So no one seems to be using Used Diluted antifreeze to load their tires?

·
Registered
973 Posts
I saw this post a few days ago and figured there'd be pages of responses and my 2¢ really wasn't needed!
I'm wrong again, so here's my 2¢! I can't say about ww fluid, that I use, but new antifreeze is also bad for the environment as well as animals...and used is worse environmentally as it contains heavy metals. Another concern would be rusting the rims. Antifreeze has rust inhibitors which can be/are used up as it ages, so you could (??) be rusting your rims. A final concern would be freezing point. That can be determined with a hydrometer, but what if it's 20ºF?

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So you use the Winshield washer fluid to load your tires? Any rust inhibitors in the WW fluid? Unless you use the +32 degree WW fluid, you still have a deadly fluid as most winter WW fluid has up to 40% of Methanol and may contain traces of isopropyl alcohol and ethylene glycol. Both are deadly. I think the RV antifreeze uses Ethanol instead of Methanol to lower freezing properties.

I’ve used antifreeze the better part of half a century to load the rear tires although the antifreeze is only used as a corrosion inhibitor in low concentration. Only 1 gallon undiluted per rear tire. This only puts the fluid at about +31.9 F.

I live in South MS and never had a cut or burst during the winter. I also never used the tractor during the teen or single digit temps. Just thinking now I may want to be able to use the tractor during single digit temps without worry.

My rear tires hold 55 gallons of fluid.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Hmmmm..I too thought there'd be more response.

I know nothing about AF in tires. I use Beet juice..No problems yet in NW OREGON.

Did just change AF in a couple units and wonder what to do with it?

Putting it in a tire seems fine to me but...idk. Gotta be better than calcium.right?

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea it’s better than calcium but beet juice molasses would be messy if you had to put a boot in a tire. Beet juice was expensive to me when I checked and it doesn’t get that cold where I live.

As far as corrosion goes when using used antifreeze, it’s not a problem when you have a tube in the wheel. I’ve spilled more AF on the ground when draining and changing the coolant.

Maybe some more will comment on their usage if old antifreeze.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I am like others here thought you would have been told no don't do it or heck yes go for it. I put washer fluid in mine and added about a pint of 85-140 gear oil cause I did not fill completely full in hopes of would stop rust in the top exposed rim?

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I am like others here thought you would have been told no don't do it or heck yes go for it. I put washer fluid in mine and added about a pint of 85-140 gear oil cause I did not fill completely full in hopes of would stop rust in the top exposed rim?
Well now.....What about Water soluble oil vs 90 wt..?
We used to use that on an old Tapmatic machine when I worked at a shop in LoUisanna.
Still got 5 gallons of it I drug up to Oregon in 79....yup , I'm nearing expiration.

Ever feel wierd when posting old dates...wheres that popcorn thing?? all I could find is fry's..

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here ya go ?

·
Registered
973 Posts
GRRR, calcium! I bought a used 8N in the early/mid 80's and it had calcium filled tires. I was clearing an area with the manure bucket and ran into "the perfect storm" !!! I had cut some saplings, 1/2" -,3" dia., down a month or 3 prior and left the stumps/stubs visible and later removed. My manure bucket is narrow and no wider than the width of my wheels. It cleared a fair path but tires were running over whatever. My "last pass" was about 3 feet away from a 24"-36" maple. Right next to the maple was a stub that I didn't notice. The stub went into the sidewall, the calcium gushed out, hit a rock, bounced up, and sprayed back off of the maple onto ME! ie, "The Perfect Storm!" My "protective clothing" consisted of a pair of cut-offs...no shirt, shoes, glasses, just cut-offs! I felt the calcium starting to burn me and beat feet back to the house to hose down. A few days later, I dropped the tire & rim off to be replaced. The guy at the shop said, 'Somebody hit you with a shotgun or you blew a tire with calcium!' I was red dots all over the right side of my body. Nope, I'll NEVER use calcium!

·
Registered
6,043 Posts
A methanol/water mix is standard in my area. Beet juice was popular until the tire shops started having to fix tires filled with beet juice. They rebelled due to the mess of cleaning it out.

Here's a link I saw on the subject. It lists antifreeze but recommends a non toxic version:

Filling Tractor Tires with Fluid Ballast | Which Fluid to Use & How

I don't know the dealership and don't know how reliable this is. What I saw matched with my experience but I won't swear any of it is 100% correct.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
10,436 Posts
Rv antifreeze or beat juice are the best options for safety and the environment. The rv antifreeze I got at TSC was fda approved.

I do think wiper fluid is a much better option then automotive antifreeze, simply because it’s taste and smell doesn’t encourage crittters to consume it.

As for corrosion, buying rims every 25-30 years doesn’t really add much to the cost of ownership.

Reactions: 56Nine

·
Premium Member
9,640 Posts
I am still trying to figure out how it can be a 200 mile drive to get washer fluid..........I didn't realize it wasn't widely available. Of course I also met a rancher in Montana who had a private driveway that was nearly 19 miles long off the state highway, so I guess it all depends on what part of the country you are in.

""Windshield washer fluid cost about $1.49 a gallon and I have to drive 200 miles to get it. That would amount to $200 plus the trip. Washer fluid still has methanol in it and is poisonous but just isn’t sweet tasting.""

Reactions: steveontheridge2

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If I want to buy it for $1.49 per gallon I would have to drive 100 miles 1 way to get it for that price for the -20 F formula. I can buy 0F and above for a higher price next door.

·
Registered
10,436 Posts
If I want to buy it for $1.49 per gallon I would have to drive 100 miles 1 way to get it for that price for the -20 F formula. I can buy 0F and above for a higher price next door.
Are there any service centers near you? Maybe they could order what you want, if you need a lot they might be able to get it by the barrel. I’ve seen other members do that. The napa cash price works out to $2 a gallon, I bet the shop price is less than 2/3

If location justifies your choice, then that’s that.

Otherwise it’s pretty clear members prefer several other fluids over used antifreeze.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hmmmm..I too thought there'd be more response.

I know nothing about AF in tires. I use Beet juice..No problems yet in NW OREGON.

Did just change AF in a couple units and wonder what to do with it?

Putting it in a tire seems fine to me but...idk. Gotta be better than calcium.right?
I agree with The Duke. I sue Beet Juice in my rear Tires as well.I'm heading into year 5 with no issues. Just make sure when you add air, the air nipple is at the top!

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It’s doesn’t get cold enough where I live to justify beet juice for me. Where you live I can see it.

Doesn’t antifreeze have a bittering agent in it since 2012 to deter animals and humans from ingesting it?

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
I used RV antifreeze because it was easy for me to get. I had a bunch on hand.

If I had used automotive freeze available for free I probably would have used that. Just have to realize that and leak would need to be cleaned up quickly. Most of us are driving around with that stuff in our engines and for the most part it’s not an issue. Coolant leaks happen too.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts