Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I arrived at a need for a spreader. As I referenced in a different post here at GTT, I thought I would just go to Frontier and order one and it would hook right up to my quick hitch. Nope! Same thing with Land Pride, which is supposed to be a better product in many ways, nope! Frustrating! C'mon Frontier! Turns out, there are only specific models from Frontier that are quick hitch and very few others that do.

I had my mind made up. I wasn't going to get a spreader unless it was quick hitch. I could of ordered new, but I don't want to pay what they are asking, and I really didn't want to wait until August to get it [sarcasm]. About a week ago, I was browsing ol FB Marketplace, and I found a SS1067B quick hitch compatible online, less than two hours away. Some communication and a few extra photos, and I was on my way. I got to the location, he had it on the tractor, showed me that it operated. I looked it over and decided to buy it.

Now, the fun begins. If anyone has bought anything used, there is typically the thought, "what surprises am I going to get with this thing!?" I tend to be particular in my stuff. If it's used, that's fine, but I still want to still look good and operate as intended. I started going through it, as most of us would. For starters the PTO shaft was seized to the male PTO spline on the spreader transfer case. I used Aero Kroil, let it soak overnight, talked nicely to it, used a variety of hammers and blunt chisels, working up in size. No movement. Yes, the release button was compressed. My uncle came over, and with two of us hammering with bigger tools we got it lose. No damage, except chipped paint, and freed up PTO! Win! Here's a photo of it seized. So many four letter words over that!

Secondly, I found a nice little crack in the bolt housing on the transfer case (orange arrow). It appears old, and seems to be from over torquing the frame to the case. I don't think it will have any affect on the spreader, but worth noting. It looks old. I am going to leave it and see if it gets worse after use.

I am currently soaking the PTO spline to remove the rust. I also used the wire-wheel to clean up the chipped paint, and repainted with Rustoleum Farm and Implement paint to match.

Today, I am going to continue to soak the rusty parts, and apply a second coat of paint. I also will get photos of the spreader as a whole today.

Questions, what would ya'll use to put on the spline to prevent it seizing again? I typically use Permatex anti-seize, instead of grease. Anyone do something different?

Also, as you can see, that PTO yoke it really rusty, although functional. Any thoughts on that? Grease it and leave it, attempt to paint it, or break it down entirely? I never broke down a PTO shaft before. I am curious on feedback.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
I ran into the same issues with a Frontier spreader I bought from my dealer, NEW but dented. I brought it back. I only have an acre to deal with so i bought a Chapin tow behind. This thing is amazing. Well made, AND, the flow stops automatically when you stop which prevents loss and burns, etc.. So, if you have an acre or less I feel this is the way to go.

Chapin 8620B 150-Pound Tow Behind Spreader – Chapin International (chapinmfg.com)

Amazon.com : Chapin 8620B 150 lb Tow Behind Spreader with Auto-Stop, Red 8620B 150 lb Tow Behind Spreader with Auto-Stop : Garden & Outdoor

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
The crack is not in an area where it will effect the gear case or spreader. It's in the support where the bolt(s) go through to the support brackets. You could pull the gear box and have it welded, or just leave it alone. Good luck!!!

Reactions: Boar

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I have an imatch equipped 1025R and a Frontier 1067B spreader. Here are a few lessons I have learned.

The imatch hitch positions the spreader far enough back from the tractor PTO that the standard "spreader" labeled PTO shaft borders on being too short, with only about an inch or so of splines overlapping. It works, but it isn't ideal. I eventually got a longer PTO shaft, mostly because....

I never removed the PTO shaft from the spreader gearbox , just rinsed off the spreader after fertilizing or liming and stored it. Eventually rust and corrosion developed exactly like you describe in your used spreader. After freeing it up, that's when I bought a new, longer PTO shaft. Now, I take the PTO shaft off to store separately, and use a lot of grease.

With the spreader filled to max weight, the tractor gets hard to steer, especially on an uphill grade. Consider using front weights. I put all the suitcase weights I own on a front Heavy Hitch bracket, and that makes a big difference.

Filling that big hopper to the brim to reduce refilling stops might sound good, but the hopper holds more weight than the 1025R 3 point can lift. I learned that lesson while shoveling granulated lime back out of my filled spreader, when the three point basically said "this ain't happening."

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am not going to repair the bolt bracket hole. I will just keep an eye on it. Likely not going to be an issue. I am concerned about the PTO shaft length, especially since I have a larger 4044M. I will test the size this week. I will provide feedback on this forum. I noted applying lots of grease. Unfortunately, just the nature of what the spreader is working with (salt, fertilizer, urea, etc), corrosion is a big risk. Cleaning, veggie oil, grease, and checks should be applied/done to ensure the implement stays intact.

I don't think I will have the issues with the weight or steering, as I will be using this with the 4044M, and here in Ohio, I don't have any hills.

Reactions: ClydeLogan
1 - 5 of 5 Posts