Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this is has been asked/answered before, my search abilities are weak.
I'm just looking for advice on buying a simple 2WD Gator, gas engine, that I can use to haul firewood out of the woods, yard waste and general hauling around a couple of acres. I was thinking used 2WD, gas 2 seater, manual dump bed in the 2-3K range. I do see some 825i s on CL for mid teens to thousands, what gives with these?

Thanks,
David

·
Premium Member
10,047 Posts
I have the type of Gator you want. Mine is an older 4X2 model, two wheel drive, single cylinder 10 hp Kawasaki engine and manual dump bed. It's a good, solid machine that can be found well within your price range. :good2:

It does have some drawbacks. The only suspension is in the front so the ride can be a bit bumpy at times, and top speed is under 20 MPH. If a previous owner was too gentle with the shifter there could be some worn parts in the transmission, but it's not a terribly involved fix if you're mechanically inclined. They all grind a little when shifting, the trick is to shift firmly and don't baby it or try to ease it into gear.

As for things to watch for, other than the transmission just general condition. Good brakes, tight steering, check the bottom of the bed for rust. Let us know what you find. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the type of Gator you want. Mine is an older 4X2 model, two wheel drive, single cylinder 10 hp Kawasaki engine and manual dump bed. It's a good, solid machine that can be found well within your price range. :good2:

It does have some drawbacks. The only suspension is in the front so the ride can be a bit bumpy at times, and top speed is under 20 MPH. If a previous owner was too gentle with the shifter there could be some worn parts in the transmission, but it's not a terribly involved fix if you're mechanically inclined. They all grind a little when shifting, the trick is to shift firmly and don't baby it or try to ease it into gear.

As for things to watch for, other than the transmission just general condition. Good brakes, tight steering, check the bottom of the bed for rust. Let us know what you find. :thumbup1gif:
Thanks! Just wanted to make to check if there were some years or models to avoid.
I'll see what I can find.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts

I had to read that 3 times. lol Usually slamming the shifter is what causes transmission problems. Information like this is sold gold.

No suspension in the back is rough. Good thing they don't go over 20 mph.

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
56Ford is correct. They really are made to be stuffed into gear. I have an 07 HPX 4x4 with power dump. I love the power dump. I found it on MachineFinder and picked it up pretty cheap.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,668 Posts
We had a CX 4x2 GREAT little machine.
I agree with all 56FordGuy wrote.

·
Registered
21,145 Posts
Sorry if this is has been asked/answered before, my search abilities are weak.
I'm just looking for advice on buying a simple 2WD Gator, gas engine, that I can use to haul firewood out of the woods, yard waste and general hauling around a couple of acres. I was thinking used 2WD, gas 2 seater, manual dump bed in the 2-3K range. I do see some 825i s on CL for mid teens to thousands, what gives with these?

Thanks,
David
The 825i starts at $12k and can quickly become over $15k with a few accessories. One outfitted with a lot of goodies becomes $20k.

·
Premium Member
10,047 Posts
I had to read that 3 times. lol Usually slamming the shifter is what causes transmission problems. Information like this is sold gold.

No suspension in the back is rough. Good thing they don't go over 20 mph.

It's counter intuitive for sure. One of, maybe my first post ever on GTT was about this very issue and turned into a complete teardown and rebuild. http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/gators-utvs-atvs-other-recreational-vehicles/2979-4x2-gator-transmission.html

The 4X2 transmission does not have any synchronizers to help the gears mesh when shifting. What I have found is that when shifting from neutral, use the choke to idle down and then shift firmly into the direction you want. You don't have to jerk the shifter into gear, but you want to hear a good solid 'clunk'. You can then open the choke and take off. When shifting between directions without stopping in neutral, I hold the brake pedal and shift straight across without choking the engine down.

·
Registered
927 Posts
:hi: Wow, Blake, this post is from 2012 - you're a real old Ford guy (can't remember if I was Born in 2012...) :mocking::laugh:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts