Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been toying around with the idea of getting a 100+ hp tractor to use farming my 56 acres so I don't have to rely on borrowing my neighbors.

I came across this one on Craigslist and figured I would pop on here and get your thoughts.

John deere 7420 mfwd - farm garden - by owner - sale

So far here is what i'm thinking -> its worth checking out but with a price this low something might be wrong with it, other than just a blower motor.

1. Does anyone here own one of these or similar? If so what issues could they have/how hard are they to repair/ how much $$$$$
2. If I go look at this other than standard things like does the engine smoke/are there leaks, ect what specific things should I be looking for?
3. How much would a set of Rear tires run me roughly

bottom line, Is the machine possibly worth checking out?

·
Registered
931 Posts
The 7420 is a very good tractor. No real problem areas that I can think of. The IVT transmission is a good transmission, but if it does give problems can be very expensive to repair/replace. New transmission can be in range of $25,000.00 plus labor. Not sure what size tires but depending on size or brand, expect to pay $2000 - $3000 for a new pair. Have someone check for error codes. can be a good sign of possible problem.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts