Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is an Amish shed structure place near me. My question is I am trying to keep cost as low as possible. I have been looking at a 14x20 built shed and wanted to no what is recommended for floor structure. I believe they lay down 4x4s placed every 4' with 2x4s overtop every 16", with 3/4" plywood on top. Is this adequate for a 2018 3025E w/ loader and a 3PT 64' Frontier snow blower. I am guessing its close to 3200lbs ? Would a 2nd layer of 3/4 plywood be required? It would have a 7' garage door for entry, I will have to lower roll bar.

·
Premium Member
813 Posts
There is an Amish shed structure place near me. My question is I am trying to keep cost as low as possible. I have been looking at a 14x20 built shed and wanted to no what is recommended for floor structure. I believe they lay down 4x4s placed every 4' with 2x4s overtop every 16", with 3/4" plywood on top. Is this adequate for a 2018 3025E w/ loader and a 3PT 64' Frontier snow blower. I am guessing its close to 3200lbs ? Would a 2nd layer of 3/4 plywood be required? It would have a 7' garage door for entry, I will have to lower roll bar.
I'm no engineer but I'd say your fine with it. Just make sure they use treated 2x4's and 3/4 plywood and I would think preferably not OSB wood.

Good luck, what is the price in your area for a 14x20 as you describe ??

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Amish made mine, works great for my 2320 and a bunch of other stuff.
3/4" green treat ply for floor, 2x6 on 12" centers.

Shed is 8'x14' to stay under the 120 sq/ft limit of needing a concrete slab.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
I would do the extra 3/4" flooring if it were me. Also maybe upgrade to 2x6 floor joists on 12" centers. Remember, your 3000 lbs of tractor is going to be distributed among the 4 tires, but that's going to be roughly 750 lbs per tire area (roughly 1 sq. ft.). Don't forget about the floor loading if you have a ballast box stored in there as well.

I'd also see about upgrading the garage door to be 8' so you don't have to worry about the ROPS.

I've been thinking about a similar storage option for my 3520. Probably overthinking it, which is why it's still taking up space in my garage. :laugh:

·
Registered
538 Posts
Get your shed built and if you feel/sense/know the floor is sagging, lay some 2x12's on the floor and drive your tractor up on those. Three or four deck screws in each one easily will easily hold them in place and make them easily removable in you decide on "another use" for the shed. These will also preserve your original plywood flooring. Bob

·
Premium Member
10,989 Posts

Is that a limit of the folks who built the shed? I have a 14 x 32 pre-fab shed with garage door that has a composite floor on 10" centers. They installed it on a thick base of rip-rap covered with 2B limestone (IIRC). I store my 2720, X500, loader, ballast box, snow blower, 17P cart, push mower, yard tools, plus a small work area.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Is that a limit of the folks who built the shed? I have a 14 x 32 pre-fab shed with garage door that has a composite floor on 10" centers. They installed it on a thick base of rip-rap covered with 2B limestone (IIRC). I store my 2720, X500, loader, ballast box, snow blower, 17P cart, push mower, yard tools, plus a small work area.
No, code. Anything built over 120 sq/ft in this development is supposed to be on concrete. Can just be setting on the concrete, doesn't need to be anchored or anything, but concrete is supposed to be under it...
They build and deliver much bigger.

Also, this was in my budget at the time...

·
Registered
927 Posts
I used 2x10s spaced 12” on center. Double rim joist all around, tripled across the middle. 3/4” plywood floor. All pressure treated wood. This was for a 12x24 shed. Pics and more details in a thread I started in July 2016 if you want to check it out.
works great for my 1025r with loader and backhoe, plus x370, plus all kinds of other stuff. Floor doesn’t even wiggle

·
Premium Member
7,959 Posts
Get your shed built and if you feel/sense/know the floor is sagging, lay some 2x12's on the floor and drive your tractor up on those. Three or four deck screws in each one easily will easily hold them in place and make them easily removable in you decide on "another use" for the shed. These will also preserve your original plywood flooring. Bob
x2.

I'd just add the 2x12's when it was delivered.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Nice parking job

Very nice parking job. Somehow, I don't think that was the first time for you.

Treefarmer

·
Premium Member
4,738 Posts
The Sagulator WoodBin

I agree with the planks or just a couple sheets of plywood layers down to park on that you can remove anytime. I also think it would be plenty strong enough as is. When I made a quick ramp out of 3/4 plywood with 4 2x4’s under it for a ramp I was running a 3500lb skid loader with at skids that were up to 1000lbs up it and it held. On a skid loader even though it has 4 wheels typically most of the weight is on the front or the rear wheels depending on whether it is loaded or not and it held up better than I thought it would.

The calculator above says you are good as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Very nice parking job. Somehow, I don't think that was the first time for you.

Treefarmer
Thanks!

It was actually the second time. First time I just drove it in to see how it would fit. Doesn't park very nice driven in! :laugh:

However, I did grow up on a farm, so quite a bit of experience on parking tractors and other large equipment in tight places.

With the 54 deck on it's much more difficult, as even with the flap up, there's only a couple inches of clearance!

Attachments

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have a 10' x 16' shed with one layer of 3/4" ply on 16" center 2x4 which sit on the 4x4. The floor has sagged under the tires where it is between the 2x4

I am going to add more 2x4 under the area where the tires rest, replace the sagged areas of the ply and put another layer of 3/4 on top.

It is too much weight on a small foot print if it ends up with no 2x support under it.

I will also coat the new floor ply with something to help protect the floor. The fluid drips and the snow melt make a mess of the ply in just 2 1/2 years.

Kevin

1 - 15 of 15 Posts